Saturday 19 April 2008

A New Day and Raspberry Lemon Bars



"Who knows but that something wonderful may happen today. Have faith that it will. After all, every morning is a chance at a new day!" ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

As I lay in bed in those first few moments upon wakening this morning, just before I slipped out from under the covers and went down the stairs, I could hear the gentle tap, tap, tapping of raindrops as they fell upon the skylight in the ceiling above the bed. Yes . . . it is the weekend, and I have a couple of days off . . . and, yes . . . it is raining again. It would be so easy to become discouraged when all it seems to do is rain every weekend.



But there is joy to be found even in the rain. The other day as Todd and I walked in the rain, and I remarked on how much of the darned stuff we have had this spring, Todd immediately broke out into song. (He has a song for every occasion, that man does. That's one of the reasons that I love him so.)

"Life is not a highway strewn with flowers,
Still it holds a goodly share of bliss,
When the sun gives way to April showers,
Here's a thought that we should never miss:
Though April showers

May come your way,
They bring the flowers

That bloom in May;
And if it's raining,

Have no regrets;
Because, it isn't raining rain, you know,
It's raining violets.
And when you see clouds

Upon the hill,
You soon will see crowds

Of daffodils;
So keep on looking for the bluebird,
And listening for his song,
Whenever April showers come along."
~Al Jolson, April Showers



So yes, it is Saturday, and yes, it is raining, but it is not all a complete wash out. In my next moments after feeling a bit discouraged about the rain, my mind immediately filled with all the lovely things I could get done here in the house, now that I would not be distracted by a sunny Saturday and being outdoors. And while I putter here in the cottage, I can think of all the sunny days ahead, and all the lovely flowers that this rain is helping to bring back to life. Already the trees are full of buds and blossoms and life is bursting forth all around us. This is such a beautiful place in the sunshine, but it wouldn't be so without the rain that gently drops upon each leaf and petal and gives them life . . .



Into each life some rain must fall, but after the rain . . . comes the sunshine, and if we're really blessed . . . a rainbow.

Here's the second winner in last week's Make Me Bake Poll. Lucious Lemon Squares with Jam, yet another treat from my big blue binder. These are not your normal every day Lemon Bar. You get the wonderful tartness of the lemon layer, and the tasty buttery texture of the shortbread like base with a lovely sweet layer of raspberry jam sandwiched in the middle. These are truly to die for . . . they are one of my long time favourites! (It's a good thing we had company the other night to help eat all these goodies up!)



*Raspberry Lemon Bars*
Makes 16 to 20 bars

These delicious bars are perfect treats to serve at that springtime tea party or bridal shower. Perfect for entertaining and wonderful as a special treat just to make an ordinary day seem extraordinary, these bars are real winners and always well received! You could leave the raspberry jam out if you like, but, without the jam, they are just another lemon bar. The jam layer is what lifts these delicious bars above the rest!!

Crust:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest

Lemon Topping:
6 large eggs
2 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon extract (optional but a nice addition)
3/4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp plain flour

1/2 cup raspberry preserves
Icing sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Butter a 9 inch square non stick baking pan or spray it with some nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.

Combine all the ingredients for the crust in a medium sized bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms. Spread this mixture evenly in the prepared pan, leveling out with your fingers if need be. Chill for 10 minutes.

Bake in the heated oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow it to cool for another 15 minutes in the pan.

While it is cooling combine all the ingredients for the lemon topping in a bowl and whisk well with a wire whisk until blended.

Spread the raspberry preserves evenly over top of the baked crust, and then pour the lemon filling over top.

Place back in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Lowser the oven temperature to 160*C/325*F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until the filling is set and lightly browned on top.

Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 1/2 hours before cutting into squares. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.

Any leftovers (as if!!) may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator if you prefer you squares to be chilled.

10 comments:

  1. Those bars look delicious Marie, I have lemons and raspberry jam so I think I will have to make these in my new oven this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderfully moist and luscious. A great twist on the usual lemon bars, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was singing right along with Todd there! No excuse for the grotty weather though. I wouldn't mind it being wet if it would only get a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Todd, I often break out into song. Unlike Todd, it is not recieved well. The dogs howl, Ben shrieks with pain and the windows shudder and crack.

    My peanut butter pie is winning so far! I'll have to hop onto different computers so I can keep it in the running! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie! I love rainy days. I know...I'm weird ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am quite jealous of you with all your rain. :) I wish it would rain all the time over here....

    Those lemon bars will be one of the first things I bake after I've reached my weight loss goal!!! I love lemon anything....

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, those bars look yummy. I'm trying my hardest to look beyond the rain at the moment, but I gotta say there have been an awful lot of April showers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rainy days inspire me to tidy the house, bake, and enjoy a good book. Your bars look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you marie.. u always give me the recipes i ask for you are the best...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I was the company that was there to share in your delicious looking lemon bars!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!