Thursday 1 May 2008

Take my pen . . .



"Take my pen, Lord,
Help me write the words within my heart,
Guide my hand across the empty page,
Take my thoughts and harness them with love.
Let the lines be comforting and warm,
And so reach out and touch a seed of hope,
Take my pen, Lord,
Let the words illuminate the dark,
And like a candle, light the night.
~Iris Hesselden


What lovely words those are, and they perfectly embody what I try to do here on Oak Cottage. I decided when I first started this online journal that I wanted to create a space on the Internet that was warm and cozy, and quite like visiting a much loved friend for a space of time . . .

These words I write to you each morning . . . I hope are inspiring, encouraging, and comforting. I hope that when you come on here and read the little bits that I have written you find food and nourishment. A little bit of food for the soul, a little bit of food for the eyes and a little bit of food for the tummy as well.

I hope that what you feel when you read these pages makes you feel good inside and about yourself and about your days. I am not an expert on all things. I'm probably not an expert on anything! I am only an ordinary person . . . but I am a person with experience and feelings and emotions . . . a pure and simple lady who truly loves others and cares . . . a compassionate soul who only wants to help and inspire others . . . and to share. If what is on my heart and mind at any given time helps another or serves to bless them in some way, then I have done what I set out to do when I write my thoughts down for others to read, and I, in turn, feel blessed. If I can make a difference for even one person, then it's all worth it.

This might not be every one's cup of tea, but then again . . . it doesn't need to be. The important thing to me is . . . it's your cup of tea . . . and so it goes.

I won't torture you anymore by making you wait one second longer for the recipe for my Peanut Butter Picnic Cake. This is another gem from my old blue binder. The page that I have it written on is spattered and stained from it's having been used over and over again. It's a recipe I got when all my babies were young from a good friend and next door neighbour, Mabel. Mabel was a soul mate and we both had a whole passel full of younguns, all the same ages. She was a bit older than me, having married later in life, but we met each other as equals on so many levels . . . we were both ladies that loved the lord, we crafted, we cooked, we cared. We will meet many, many people in our lives . . . some just in passing, and others . . . well others leave an indelible imprint on our hearts. Mabel was one of those. I never bake this cake without thinking of her and the happy times we spent together. I love a recipe with a history, don't you? (By the way, don't forget to vote in my Make Me Bake Poll! So far the front runner is French Canadian Sugar Pie!)



*Picnic Cake*
Makes 1 - 9" X 13" cake

This cake has to be one of the easiest and tastiest cakes to make. You can make it in a large pan as described or you can make it in two smaller 8 or 9 inch layer pans. When I choose to do it in the smaller pans I always spread some strawberry or raspberry jam in between the layers when I put it together. It's a great cake to wrap up and take on picnics and is just perfect for in those lunch boxes. If you're a peanut butter lover, this one's for you!

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups caster sugar
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (I favour Skippy)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
ICING:
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar
3 to 4 TBS milk
TO FINISH:
Chopped toasted walnuts for sprinkling on top
1/2 cup of strawberry or raspberry jam if you so choose

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly grease and flour a 9" X 13" baking pan or two 8" or 9" layer pans. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Beat well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternately with the milk, mixing well after each addition. Pour into the prepared pan(s).

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake springs back lightly when touched gently in the middle, or a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cook. If you have baked it in the larger pan, leave it in the pan to cool, and then just ice the top. If you have baked layers, remove from the pans after 5 minutes and finish cooling.

To make the frosting place all the ingredients in the bowl, using only as much of the milk as required to give you a smooth and spreadable consistency. Spread evenly over top of the finished cake and sprinkle walnuts over top.

If you have done the layer cake, put the two layers together with the jam spread in the middle. Ice the top and sides with the peanut butter frosting and then sprinkle the walnuts over top.

11 comments:

  1. Marie, in the modern world that we live in many people forget to nourish their soul. We are so busy and pre-occupied with material things and for some people just making ends meet can be a struggle. You write so well, and what is more important is that it is from the heart. God Bless you Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another tasty looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drool. Slurp. Drool again. Must....make...tasty...cake. Drool..............

    And thank you for the sweet compliments! I was hoping you would like it. :) It really makes me feel good to know you like what I do. By the way, I like your new painting!

    And Angela is right. People have forgotten what is important in life and how an act of kindness and love can soothe the soul. Thank goodness you haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sold. That looks so good.

    I love your inspirational thoughts and words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings to you Marie! I do feel like I'm sitting down for coffee with a friend. Wait, I am! I've got my coffee and my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm - peanut butter and jelly is such a great combination, especially in desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since we live far apart, to have our blogs to visit during the week makes the distance not seem so far! I love to come here daily for my visit with you, Marie! Your lovely place here inspires me in so many ways and puts the icing on the cake of my day :o) And speaking of cake...this one is fantastic! I'm getting the ingredients this weekend to make it! mmm...((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks fantastic Marie! I do enjoy your writing very much when I get over here to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fearless Kitchen2 May 2008 at 16:10

    This does look wonderful - like a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich for dessert! I'll have to try it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think you have to be an expert on things...you write honestly and that is what speaks to people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think you have to be an expert on things...you write honestly and that is what speaks to people. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!