Monday 21 July 2008

A Picnic kind of day . . .



picnic (noun): an occasion when you take a meal with you to eat outside in an informal way, or the food itself

As a picnic afficionado I have enjoyed many outdoor meals in my life. A picnic can be something as simple as grabbing a few pieces of bread and heading off on your bicycle with some well loved friend or as complicated as one of Hyacinth Bucket's reparian riverside delights. As a child we never went on many picnics as a family, unless you considered Sunday School picnics. Those were special occasions with pony rides and races and prizes . . . free hotdogs, all the soda pop you could drink and all the ice cream you could eat. I don't think my mother enjoyed eating outdoors. She had a bug thing.

I remember a particular picnic as a child when, myself and a friend, threw together two peanut butter sandwiches, grabbed a mayonaise jar full of cool-aid and took off on our bicycles for the great outdoors. We pedaled our little legs off and found a particularly beautiful spot on a hillside overlooking an old country church. Sitting in the grass, insects humming, a gentle breeze ruffling our hair and cooling our overheated bodies, legs aching from what seemed like miles of dirt road covered, I don't think there was ever any finer peanut butter sandwich eaten on earth, or more appreciated.

Up on that hillside we shared our hopes and dreams of what we thought our lives would become, we laughed at things we thought were funny at the time, and we busied ourselves in the innocence that only exists in childhood minds and souls. Satisfied and content with the carefree woes of childhood . . . we gorged ourselves afterwards on green apples. I remember laying in bed that night, sun burnt and tired . . . yet happy . . . and feeling that all was right in the world, despite my tummy that ached and my sore legs.

Life is a bit like a picnic. We head out on our bicycles and pedal our legs off . . . sometimes seemingly getting nowhere, but . . . the moments we set aside to sit on the hill and rest and reflect . . . the moments we gorge ourselves with our hopes and dreams and accomplishments, warm memories . . . those are the peanutbutter sandwiches, the picnic treats, the rewards of a life well spent. I read somewhere once that it is only in the giving away of our lives that we really begin to live them. That is my mantra, my motto, my raison d'etre...who could ask for anything more!



*Oatmeal Kiss Cookies*
Makes 6 dozen cookies

This is the perfect cookie to take on a picnic . . . or not. They're pretty good in the cookie jar as well. Crisp and oaty and moreish.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup chopped nuts
72 milk chocolate Hershey's chocolate kisses (if you are in the UK and cannot get chocolate kisses, chocolate buttons work just fine!)

Preheat oven to 190*C/375*F.

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats and nuts.
Roll into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Immediately press a chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie. Lift off the cookie sheet onto wire racks to finish cooling.

8 comments:

  1. I love picnics! I agree, that simple is best most of the time, just some PB&J and lemonade. But once in a while, fancy is alright as well, particularly in the fall of the year! Hope it is not raining too much! Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a true sentiment! I think simple food is the best. I can slave for hours over a meal for Ben and get a grunt. But if I heat up hot dogs in the microwave, holy crap, you would have thought I'd reinvented the wheel. In Alaska we would make PBJs at the hotel in the morning during breakfast and wrap them up in napkins in our purses. It was tastier than the airport sandwich.

    Come back soon! My blog is lonley and commentless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie-you are a naughty, naughty woman posting these cookies today. Guess I need to revise my grocery list for tomorrow....

    I'm looking forward to better weather in our area (around November!) for better, more comfortable picnic weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my children were young we used to bring them to the Botanical Gardens for picnic in the evening where a orchestra will be performing at the same time. It was wonderfully to just relax and with music to sooth your mind at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie! I'm back from Florida and Georgia... just trying to catch up. I need to post an entry soon. I love picnics, especially if there is a body of water nearby. Even if I'm not going anywhere, I love to step outside with a picnic lunch and eat amongst the grass, trees, and critters. I bought a picnic basket just for that purpose. There is something about opening up the basket and taking out the food, laying it out. It's like a surprise all over again. I loved them more when I was a kid than today since I didn't have to clean up afterwards back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mm..a picnic!

    I love the new look of your blog, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Picnics are the best...food always tastes even better out-of-doors, I think! And today DH & I will be packing up our dinner and taking it to a nearby park or maybe the beach--can't wait! These Oatmeal Kiss Cookies look delicious...mmm...I could eat one now! Missing you heaps--but so glad of these posts while you're away! Happy Days, sweet friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love to go on picnics too! i love nature and the outdoors. its when i'm outside with family, friends, or even just by myself, that i can think the clearest. i love to take my kids just in the backyard even with a blanket and some pb&j and listen to the birds and feel the breeze together while we eat. too bad in dallas the weather doesn't permit that too often!(its so hot here!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!