Thursday 10 July 2008

Lessons Life Has Taught Me



“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” ~George Bernard Shaw

Most of the greatest lessons I have learned in my life have been learned by making mistakes, and let me tell you now, I have made some whoppers!

Like . . .

Any job worth doing is worth doing it well. There is no point in cutting corners and rushing through a job to get it done sooner . . . if at the end you have really botched things up in your rush, and have to redo it anyways. You might just as well have done it properly in the first place. It can save a lot of time and grief.

Read a recipe thoroughly and assemble all the ingredients before you start to execute it. I can’t tell you how many times through the years I have gotten something half put together and realized that I should have waited until the end before I added something or that I had completely run out of an integral ingredient and would have to run to the store before I went on. Reading the recipe and making sure you have everything necessary are two very important steps any good cook needs to follow.



Pretty much everything I know about computers I found out by making mistakes. Thankfully none of them were so horrific that they actually broke my computer, but I have had some pretty close calls!

You shouldn’t compare yourself to the best that other’s can do. By doing that you will always find yourself coming up short. Just do the best that you can all of the time and nobody can ask any more of you than that, plus you have the satisfaction of knowing you did your very best. Doing anything else only cheats yourself.

Credentials on the wall don’t make a better person or a decent human being. There is not much good in having those things unless they are accompanied with compassion, understanding, forbearance and love.



In order to be a good teacher, you have to be willing to be teachable yourself. Acting like you know it all doesn’t make you any friends and it sure doesn’t help anyone to want to listen to you. There is always something to be gained by listening to another’s point of view.

It takes years to build up trust, but only seconds to destroy it. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. If you choose to be always honest in your dealings with others and with yourself, then you can save yourself a lot of grief in life.

Actions always have consequences and it’s always wise to think of them before doing or saying anything. If you can’t live with all of the possible consequences then you best re-think your actions.



Just because two people argue, it doesn't mean they don't love each other. And just because they don't argue, it doesn't mean they do. I have known some really successfully married people with wonderful relationships that argue all the time. They seem to thrive on it, and I have known others that never argue, but their relationships are empty.

Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have. Take whatever love you are presented with and embrace it. Know that it comes from the heart even if it isn’t accompanied with hearts and roses. Some of the simplest gestures can be the most loving and enduring.



Your life can change in an instant with a single action or a word that will give you grief for the rest of your life. Choose both carefully, for once they are out there, they cannot be taken back.

It is often easier to forgive others than it is to forgive yourself. It isn't always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself, and that can be the hardest part.

It's not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts. You could have everything in life that anyone could desire, but if you have nobody to share it with, it’s pretty meaningless. Life was meant to be shared.



True heroes are the type of people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

No matter how hard you try to protect your children, they will eventually get hurt and you will hurt in the process. It’s all a part of living. We need the knocks and bruises in order to grow. Some of our greatest strengths are gained in the process of being hurt.

You can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes, but after that, you'd better know something. There’s no use pretending to be an expert at anything if you really aren’t. The truth will always out.



You cannot make someone love you. All you can do is to be someone worth loving, the rest is up to them.

And . . . Crying over spilt milk doesn’t get it wiped up.



Yes, this is another piece that I have brought over from my Muses. I hope you don't mind. My computer has been updating and re-starting itself this morning, which has been quite annoying and very un-inspiring! I am afraid I lost my train of thought and so much time has passed now that I decided to post a previously written piece instead. My brain is mush . . . I promise to be more inspired tomorrow.

Speaking of inspiration, this is a tasty salad that you may or may not find pretty inspiring. It's one of the best things about summer salad days. Try serving this at your next barbecue and you'll have everyone wanting the recipe. It's not quite corn on the cob season here but I have found that it works really well using frozen corn. Just put it into a pot of boiling slightly salted water and cook for two minutes and then drain it really well. Works like a charm every time and nobody can really tell the difference.



*Summer Corn Salad*
Serves 8

This makes a lot but lasts a few days in the fridge so you can enjoy it with several meals. Heck, I've even been known to sit down with a bowl of this for my lunch and nothing else!

4 cups of fresh corn kernels (from about 8 ears)
or 4 cups of frozen corn kernels
1 small courgette, quartered lengthwise and finely diced
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup finely diced English Cucumber
4 red radishes, cut into small dice
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup of Honey Cumin vinaigrette (recipe follows)

Bring a saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil. Add the corn and cook just until tender, about 1 minute if using fresh, 2 minutes if using frozen. Drain well and then run it under cold water to stop it from cooking any further. Drain very well again and pat dry.

Combine the corn, courgette, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes and parsley in a bowl. Toss to combine. Season with the pepper.

Toss with the vinaigrette and toss all together. Place in a decorative bowl and serve.



*Honey Cumin Vinaigrette*
Makes 1/2 cup

This tasty vinaigrette goes very well with most vegetables and grains.

2 TBS red wine vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup salad oil or extra virgin olive oil, whichever you prefer

Whisk the vinegar, cumin, mustard, honey and salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Drizzle in the oil in a thin stream, whisking continuously. Continue to whisk until the dressing is slightly thickened. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, bringing it to room temperature before serving. Shake well before using.

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely salad today Marie, I am waiting patiently for my corn to grow and if I am successful with it I will certainly be making this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the salad recipe, I will forward it on to Claire as they both love corn. Hope you recover quickly from your all nighter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful! I needed some new veggie vegetables to make. Ben tends to like one thing then get tired of it, so I needed something new and tasty! I hope you're feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. Very inspiring words. I feel like printing it out and sticking it on my refridgerator. I like the look of the corn salad, we love sweetcorn so I must give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your post today was great marie,i hope you have a less frustrating rest of your day! love the corn salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie
    Please stop by when you have the chance. I have an award for you. The corn salad looks yummy. Just the thing we need here in NC on hot summer days!
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of the Honey-Cumin vinagrette! We love corn salad and often add black beans in for some color contrast and protein. Lovely post, I particularly like the one about accepting someone's love that they give, even if it is not what you want. Much love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. o.k. here I am showing my ignorance again.... what is a courgette? I have no idea.

    Loved your good advice as always. I had a great time on our anniversary holiday but I did miss dropping in on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved it when you first ran it on Muses and i love it today. It took me years to realize that my best was my best and no one could fault me if I did my best.

    Corn in a Cup is the big thing here in San Antonio. Roasted corn cut off the cob and put in a cup....then mixed with a little butter, mayo, chili sauce, and parmesan cheese. My mouth is watering just thinking about it....

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to know what a courgette is too! The rest of the salad sounds delish. :) Blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. My DH and I adore corn, and this looks to be a really tasty salad Marie.
    This is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts always 'speak' to me Marie and this one does too. Your lovely recipes are a bonus. Don't ever stop writing - or cooking!
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Left you a little something on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I arrive late Marie, you know these days... I come in morning butI want to read with calm your words.
    I think you were absolutely inspired! really! Make me think, we argue a lot with hubby, so maybe we have hope!!! Im kidding!!
    I know he is so stressed now and a lot of pression too.
    But sometimes happens little miracles!! Is amazing see that maybe you (I) was so sad and worry God is making something God always surprise me, really. Thanks by your words.xxxxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great recipe and thoughtful observations about life's lessons. I truly always feel great peace and comfort when I visit your journal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great post, some really lovely ideas about life, some really nice reflections, and in the end the great and tasty recipe. This is my first visit to this blog and i am sure that i will keep on visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!