Monday 28 July 2008

What I did on my Summer Holidays, part 1



"First Thoughts of Cumbria:

Driving along the M6 just north of Kendal, on into Cumbria, one is quite un-prepared for the magnificent sight that greets you. The car winds around a bend, and there they are . . . all of a sudden . . . rising out of nowhere from the right, like sleeping giants they lay all cloaked in green velveteen . . . the Northern Fells.



You feel as if you durst not touch them for fear that you might awaken them from their eternal slumber. Their green shoulders lay silent and immutable . . . sleek and soft, dotted with bleating sheep and meandering stone walls . . . the stones placed one by one with ancient hands, stone upon stone. It must have taken hundreds of years. Your heart is instantly touched by the magnitude of what you are seeing, and thoughts of an ancient people and their ancient ways.



My heart sings once more, and I feel as if I have come home. What is this song these silent velvet mounds sing to my inner being? Why do I feel this way? Is it like this for everyone?



We fell in love with this area several years ago when we visited it for the first time. It's rugged beauty touched our souls and plucked at our heart strings like nothing else ever had.



It is a rustic beauty . . . plain and un-complicated . . . simple . . . and yet, it takes your breath away. Each corner turned, and mile unfurled engraving themselves in a little corner of your heart reserved just for special moments and scenes such as these and these alone. How can one be in the presence of such majestic wonder and not be cognizant of the master and all that He has created . . . it is almost more than the heart can bear and you think to yourself that you just couldn't possibly see anything more beautiful than what is before your eyes. . . and then you turn another corner, and your heart is touched yet again . . .



It is quiet . . . the sound of very few cars break the silence . . . it is a gentle song . . . sung only by the bleating of contented sheep and the soft whisper of a Kestril's wings as it dips and soars through the air over our heads."



These are the thoughts I wrote down in my journal the first morning after we arrived at our holiday home. I hope you don't mind me sharing them with you in this way . . . my way.

We had a truly lovely week and are back home and settling in again. It's back to work tommorrow for me. I'll be putting up a new "Make Me Bake" poll later this morning, and we will be picking up Jess from her holiday home away from home, and things will be back to normal. But we feel rested and relaxed and ready to face whatever life decides to hand out to us in the next months. Holidays are lovely things . . . but whoever said it, said it right . . . "Be it ever so humble . . . there's no place like home."

Last night I made a delicious risotto for a nice light supper. Learning to make a good risotto is a little bit intimidating to some, but really, it’s quite easy if you follow a few simple steps. With a little bit of practice, a certain amount of concentration and some adherence to some sensitive timing, you can come up with a tasty and richly textured risotto, with that “just right” doneness you would never find in a restaurant.



*Sweet Potato and Mushroom Risotto*
Serves 4 as a main dish, or 8 as an accompaniment

I love sweet potatoes and I could eat them in any way shape or form. I rarely have any leftover, but when I do this is the perfect dish to showcase them. Rich and delicious, this is a savoury dish that will put a satisfied smile on everyone’s face. I call this comfort food.

2 TBS dry white wine or water
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
½ cup dried porcini mushrooms, soaked for half an hour in a bit of boiling water, then drained (strain the soaking liquid and use it for a part of the chicken broth needed for the recipe)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice or other short grain rice
½ cup mashed cooked sweet potato
3 ¾ cup chicken broth, heated and simmering in a pot
2 TBS freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
A drizzle of olive oil, or a knob of butter

Spray a 3 quart, non-stick saucepan with cooking spray. Place the wine or water into the pan and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the wine for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently until the onion is tender.

Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the sweet potato, soaked mushrooms, and ½ cup of the heated broth. Turn the heat down to medium low, and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is completely absorbed.

Stir in an additional ½ cup of broth. Continue cooking for about twenty minutes, stirring constantly and adding ½ cup of broth at a time, as each previous addition has been absorbed, until the rice is creamy and tender.

Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve warm in heated bowls, with some more Parmesan Cheese grated on top if desired.

17 comments:

  1. Those piccies make me homesick for British Isles! I was born in Glasgow and to this day pine for my homeland. The way you described your first glimpse of that incredible scenery was almost word for word of a pal of mine when he described his first look at Glen Coe. If you can get up to Scotland you will love the views there too.

    Marie, yours is the first webpage I view each morning and I want to thank you for getting my day off to such a positive start. You truly are a beautiful woman. Thank you for having found yourself because I believe you are helping others appreciae life. Bless you Marie.

    A friend from Hamilton, Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your pictures marie,your vacation sounds like it was devine. i've never made risotto,but would like to try it. you always make me want to try things just looking at your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Marie, I was right there with you, and know the 'feelings' that this area brings.We haven't been to 'The Lakes' yet this year....we were there in October 2007, when our holiday was cut short by the sudden death of my Mother.
    Actually May is my favourite time, and as always a visit to William Wordsworths Homes.I collect anything 'Wordsworth'
    Hugs
    Aileen....X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do understand the feeling you expressed upon seeing the Fells of Cumbria... they very much described the feeling of awe I felt the first time I drove through the mountains of NC... even as we approached the Appalachians of the Blue Ridge Parkway. From a distance, they are a sight to see. I am drawn to them every year. I'd love to visit that place you write of here. It moves the soul, such a view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just what you mean Marie, I feel the same way every time I go home to Nebraska. Those hills have such stories hidden in them! Lovely post, lovely pics and a fab recipe! You go girl! Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been reading you blog for sometime now and I feel as if I am right at home you have such a wonderful way of making me feel as if I am right there,your way of writing is like you are just sitting having a cup of tea in your lovely cottage with all of us I so enjoy reading your blog it makes my day you are such an inspiration keep inviting us back to your corner of the world
    have a blessed day and GB your maritime friend Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie these pictures are really wonderful and how you talk the place is so!!! I think you loved there is this peace and armony that we can see through your pictures, all God made here through the years and the man too.
    When I see an special place how this I feel how you, for the beauty, armony and all! I feel thi in not the places I know but you said remember a place that I visited many years in the countryside (when I lived at the city yet) and when go with Hubby I said I would live here right now!!!He laughs and said and my work?? I never be more practical, you know, I always feel my heart, always I dream to come back to this place with the childs, (in these times they dont arrived yet to our lives)Is to the South of Chile, if some day you come here at the south we have pictures how that, with antiques trees, lakes etc. I m happy you had a beautiful holidays!! xxxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The pictures are amazingly beautiful. My goodness, you were upclose and personal. I mean to be in such secret hideaway places to capture the mysteries of the landscape that one doesnt capture from the highway. Oh, my, how wonderful. O long to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much for the insight into Cumbria. No wonder you have made England your home Marie:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures Marie - so glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie, you've just shown me one more reason to be excited about this move to England! Cumbria looks like Star Valley, Wyoming -- a place that I first went to as a child & which my parents return to as often as possible for extended visits. I bet Cumbria has the same unbelievably huge sky.

    Thank you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow all your pictures are beautiful. I long to come to Europe but havent had a change yet. Your pictures really make me wish ore and more I could go.

    I have never made risotto but I sure want to try because it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That risotto looks wonderful! I'll have to try it (and hope I don't screw it up.)

    It looks like you had a wonderful holiday! The hills look like they were painted with soft water color. They're not like the rocky hills we have in the Texas Hill Country. They look just like the lush green velvet you described! I'd love to go see them some day. What a wonderful time you must have had!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear that you are back home safe and sound! Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures with us.....makes me REALLY want to see England some day!!!

    Thanks also for another wonderful recipe....your husband is one lucky man to have such a talented cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you are back :) Love, Teresa

    http://journals.aol.com/stetsonsfyre/remembering-to-exhale/

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beauty you have been blessed to behold!

    Thank you Jesus for blessing my friend!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. What wonderful pics...I feel like I was there! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!