Saturday 19 July 2008

Wish us God Speed



As you are reading this we are in the car travelling up North to our destination, Kirkby Stephen, a beautiful little village right on the edge of the Mallerstang Dale. Hopefully by now we will have fought our way past all the chocker block traffic on the M25 and are now speeding along a much quieter motor way. I like to think as the journey as being a part of the holiday and so I tend to enjoy every mile and every bit of scenery along the way.

We are staying at a holiday place that we stayed at several years ago and they have been kind enough to give us the exact same cottage that we stayed in before. I know the bed is extra comfy and I am looking forward to getting away and just relaxing. Somehow when you live where you work, you never really feel like you are on holiday unless you are away . . . funny how that goes.



While we are there we are going to do a few things that we didn't have time for the last time we were there . . . like visit the home of Beatrix Potter and also Wordsworth's home . . . explore a bit more of the lakes and take a few trips across the Dales . . . but mostly we intend to relax. We are prepared for whatever the weather. I am bringing my paints and brushes. Todd is bringing a few good books to read and we shall enjoy the time together in any case. If I am lucky this time I will see a red squirrel or two! We'll go on a few lovely hikes and just enjoy being away and relaxing together.



I shall miss you while I am away. Coming on here each morning is such an integral part of my day and something that I really enjoy, but I shall come back armed with more tales to tell and stories to share, some lovely photographs to post and I will be refreshed and ready to face the rest of the year . . .

In the meantime here's the winner of last weeks Make Me Bake Poll, Jaffa Drizzle Loaf. I shan't be putting up another poll now, until we get back. In the meantime, enjoy this . . .



*Jaffa Drizzle Loaf*
Cuts into 8 - 1 slices

Chocolate and orange are an unbeatable combination. This light and zesty cake makes the best of those two lovely flavours.

FOR THE CAKE:
5 ounces of butter, softened
8 ounces self raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
8 ounces sugar
3 large eggs
6 TBS milk
the finely grated zest of 1 large orange

TO FINISH:
3 TBS fresh orange juice
2 ounces sugar
2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/375*F. Butter a 2 pint loaf tin and line the bottom with some baking parchment. Butter the parchment.

Put all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with your electric mixer until light and fluffy. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf tin and level the top. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch when lightly touched with a fingertip. Alternately you can stick a toothpick into the centre. If it comes out clean . . . the cake is done!

In the meantime, heat the orange juice and sugar gently in small pan. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

Remove the finished cake from the oven and set aside on a rack. Do not remove from the pan. Take a toothpick or a fork and punch holes into it all over the top. Spoon the orange/sugar mixture all over the top, waiting for it to soak in before adding more. Leave to cool completely in the pan. Once cool, remove from the tin and place on the rack again.

Melt the chocolate bits in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave on medium for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave. (I microwave it at 30 second intervals until it is meltingly soft) Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cake with a fork and then leave to set before slicing.

14 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful holiday! I'm sorry I strung you along on the LFB--it just ran on so long I knew it would have to be a two parter. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and are able to take some fun hikes and get a lot of creative work done! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe and wonderful trip! Please - details when you return!!! We will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you safe, happy travels...soak up the lovely days with nature and creativity! Hope you get to all the spots you missed last time. Will be missing you, and eagerly looking forward to your holiday updates when you get back...and a chat--LOL! Heaps of LOVE to you both! ((BIGGEST HUGS)) P.S. That cake is one for DH ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful holiday. We can't wait until we get to hear about it.

    I will share my vacation adventures with you as well.

    Have a great time. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fantastic time, Marie! You deserve a break and a rest. Hope that your vacation is all that you want it to be! Anticipating your return! Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two have a wonderful time! Hugs!
    Maryann xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, I am traveling vicariously along with you! How wondeful! Also, I love the free backgrounds I found because of you! Thanks!! You'll have to check me out now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make sure you have a good rest Marie! Have a great time both you and Todd. Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. have a great trip! i hope you get some much needed R&R :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Holiday! Enjoy!

    I love your "new look" here! And Andrew made yummy noises when he saw the cake photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you in thought....Wordsworth's Home (Rydal Mount) is a must,also Dove Cottage, and Cockermouth where Wordsworth was born.Will love to hear all about the Holiday.
    Hope the English weather is kind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Marie, and Todd I hope you really enjoy the holidays and you may relax and enjoy.
    Marie, we will miss you a lot but you really need a relax.
    Kisses and a big hug!! xxxxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. God speed! I love the GORGEOUS butterfly picture! Breathtaking. So you're visiting Beatrix Potter's home - did you see that recent movie about her? You'd like it! I thought of you when I watched it. Sounds like a wonderful trip - glad you took your paints! You'll be inspired for sure. "Make yourself like a tree and the birds will come."

    Can't wait to hear about your adventures! xo Allison

    p.s. We always used to revisit the same vacation spot and request the same guest room. I loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the newly revised American Gothic...you guys are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!