Sunday 14 September 2008

Come harvest home . . .



The Autumn is my favourite time of year. It's always been so. I love the smells, the sights . . . the sounds. You get nice warm days, followed by cooler nights . . . not so bad for sleeping. The leaves on the trees start to turn all shades of gold and brown, and regale us daily with their beauty . . . even the gardens, which are beginning to look a bit tired, have lovely bits of brown to share with us, which is beautiful in it's own way. The seed pouches of all the flowers are filled with the promise of a spring to come. The conkers begin to fall from the chestnut trees, and the air is filled with the sound of children wending their way back to school. We have an elementary school not too far from us here at Oak Cottage, and at break times the air is filled with the sounds of their chatter and laughter as they play. It's a lovely sound, and one I quite miss in the summer weeks, when they are on break.



I can think of no lovelier season than the harvest season. It is particularly so for those of us who live in a rural area, or who have productive gardens of our own. We are surrounded by apple orchards here, and whilst it has been a particularly bad year for the farmers in a lot of ways due to lack of sunshine and too much rain, the trees (to me) look to be fairly bowing down to the ground with abundant apples and pears . . . and the air rings with the sound of the apple pickers as they work their way through the orchard's bounty. We can hear their chatter and laughter echoing throughout the orchards on sunny afternoons as they labour away.



There can be nothing more satisfying than eating food that you have grown yourself . . . fresh lettuces, crisp runner beans . . . ripe tomatoes. How wonderful to be able to pick a lovely bunch of dahlias, in all their glorious colour right now, to place on the kitchen table and grace us with their beauty.



We grew some corn here this summer, in big black pots, along the back of the cottage, where it would get the most sun. North American sweet corn. Oh how I looked forward to it all summer. Each week I watched it, as it grew taller and taller, and I dreamt of having a couple of feasts of delicious corn on the cob when it was ripe . . . just dripping with sweet butter. I was finally forced to harvest it this past week though. I could tell that if I left it any longer, what was there, would just rot and we'd never have a taste. I got six tiny ears, about a third the size of what they should have been and that's all . . . nevermind though . . . it did taste glorious, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it as we should have done . . .



Wherever we live, whether we have gardens or not, we may be thankful for yet another harvest safely home . . . for those who have worked on the land to bring it about for us to enjoy . . . and for the providence of a Heavenly Father in giving us our daily bread, for as we all know all that we enjoy in the way of providence is fed and watered by God's almighty hand.

"For rosy apples, juicy plums,
And yellow pears so sweet,
For hips and haws on bush and hedge,
And flowers at our feet;
For ears of corn, all ripe and dry,
And coloured leaves on trees,
We thank you, Heavenly Father God,
For such good gifts as these."
~author unknown



I got some painting done yesterday afternoon. There was a talent night at my church last evening, and as you know I was putting up a display of my artwork to share. I really love this little piece I did yesterday afternoon. I call it, "She Had a Heart of Gold." I actually love this piece the most of any that I have done thus far, but then again, I say that every time I do one! I am going to put her up for sale later today on Etsy. I did her in acrylics on a boxed canvas and she's about 8" by 8" and quite lovely if I don't say so myself!

I made use of some of the abundant blackberries we find growing in the hedgerows that surround us and the orchards yesterday morning, and treated Todd and myself to a lovely plate of Berry pancakes. I even made some homemade syrup to go along with them. Oh my , but they were good . . .



*Berry Pancakes*
Serves 4

Light and fluffy pancakes, with a hint of lemon flavour and stogged full of lucious berries. You can use any berry you like, but I have chosen to use blackberries here. Yumm, yumm, delicious!

1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS finely grated lemon zest
2 large eggs, seperated
4 TBS butter, melted
2 cups of mixed fresh blueberries and blackberries
(Or one or the other)
a bit of oil for frying

Measure the milk into a jug and add the lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes before proceeding.
In the meantime, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and lemon zest together in a large bowl.

Whisk the egg yolks into the milk and lemon mixture.

Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and add the milk mixture all at once, along with the melted butter. Stir until just incorporated. Don't over mix. Don't be alarmed if some lumps remain.

Whip the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Stir about half of the mixture into the batter, to slacken it a bit, and then carefully fold in the remaining whites. Gently fold in the berries.

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, brush with some oil and then ladle in 1/2 cups full of the batter, leaving a bit of space in between each. Cook for several minutes, until nicely browned on the underside and multiple bubbles have appeared on the surface. Carefully flip over and cook on the other side until golden brown. Keep warm in a slow oven while you repeat with the remaining batter until it is all used up.

Serve warm with a pat of butter on top and a drizzle of the warm Golden Lemon Syrup.



*Golden Lemon Syrup*
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 cup water
2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 TBS lemon zest (I use my zester to make long curls of the zest
instead of grating it finely for this)

Place a heavy saucepan on top of the stove and add the water and sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. When completely dissolved, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once it boils, cover the pan and start timing it right away. Boil the syrup for 3 minutes.

Uncover and add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Don't be alarmed if it bubbles up a bit. Continue to boil, uncovered, for about 3 minutes longer. The mixture should be syrupy. Let cool to warm, or to room temperature before using. Store any unused syrup in the refrigerator.

21 comments:

  1. Autumn is absolutely my favorite also! I was married in the fall, and 30 year later each time the evenings start to cool, I remember the great courtship and preparations for our special day. I have never heard of lemon syrup before, one I know that my Russell will love to try. I found our "raw sugar" that would be like your moscovado, and I am anxious for some time now that the ingredients are bought to try your plum cake. A warm sabbath hug to you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those pancakes Marie! And I really like your latest painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marie,

    The pancakes look so yummy!! I must try to make these (scratch) pancakes for my children.. they love pancakes eaten with honey, jam, butter or whatever they fancy. I've only use pancake mix (pilsbury)so far.

    Hope you're feeling better since your previous post.. we all have these blue days.. in fact, I think I'm like that most days!! Cheer up! How can you doubt your talent?? Your painting(s) are so nice.. you write well, you're so inspiring, you're talented, Todd is so blessed, etc etc.

    Cheers,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Autumn too! All the sights, sounds, smells....

    I also love your paintings. you are so talented.I am so impressed. They are all awesome. I really like the one with the girl on the moon. Do you have any with dragonflies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is my very favoritist season of the year. I so enjoy all that it entails. Lovely post, painting is gorgeous! I am definitely going to try these pancakes and syrup! Much love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a fan of the Fall... for the very reasons you give. Spring comes in a close second. But when I think about summer and winter, my I couldn't live without them either! I love each one for the changes they bring, but Fall the most. For the colors mostly, and the mood they bring. Dahlias are my favorite flowers. I remember when we grew them in the garden, and how tall they got, and cutting them. I'd bring them in the house, and put them in several large vases, then set them on tables in various rooms, even the bathroom. They always looked so lovely. Those pancakes look yummy. And the paintings you do are adorable. I love the calm colors you chose for this one. So peaceful. There is harmony and unity... it reflects you totally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heeyy!! me,me, Autumn is my favorite too!!! now here will be begin Spring is beauty too (I love flowers blossom and the delicious fruits (I saw fresh strawberries yesterday and corns but so cost yet) but my favorite is Autum I like the fresh wind and all.
    Your painting is SO CUTE i love it!
    and the panquekes look wonderful!!!! Happy Atumn Marie!!!Hugss!!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sunday morning and I can almost taste those pancakes. Almost! :)
    Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year too. Can't wait to open the windows and for the first rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those berry pancakes look delicious! I've been craving pancakes all week too. It was crazy-I had a dream last night I came to visit you and Todd in England for his birthday. I swear, it was so real I thought I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pancakes look amazing, I'm drooling here. Thank you for the recipe :)

    I have to tell you the painting you did is just beautiful, you are so talented. I've only recently found your blog so I wasn't aware that you painted, have you posted more of your work before?

    Have a wonderful Sunday,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to start the way and I bet the pancakes were even better than normal as they had berries you had gathered yourself. Another lovely painting as well, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that your lovely new painting looks like you and is properly named after her creator because you do have a heart of gold.

    I love autumn too... I got out a few fall decorations yesterday. It is still warm here but not as hot as last week. Maybe...just maybe autumn days are coming.

    I wish we had some of our wild berries left to make your berry pancakes with lemon syrup...yummy..

    We just got home from church a bit ago...John had some work that kept him over for a while...and we had pancakes for lunch...not your yummy berry kind...but pancakes..

    We are always running late on Sunday trying to get to church by 9:00 so we grab a piece of toast as we run out the door. Today I though breakfast for lunch sounded like a good idea...then I sat down to say hi to you and you had pancakes on your blog... do we think alike or what!

    I'm tired...we had a busy but fun church activities day all day yesterday..think I'll take a nap before we go to dinner at Mindy's.

    Good night sweet friend. I hope you had a nice Sunday. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pancakes look scrumptious Marie. I also love your new painting -- so SWEET. I hope you are having a great day!

    PS -- What are conkers? I love that word! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pancakes with berrie- yum and the lemon syrup, even better. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Painting and pancakes, what a yummy combination. I also love to paint and haven't done it in years, sadly. Your painting is adorable :). The little girl on there looks truly happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Blog you have here. How nice it is to live in countries that have all the four seasons. (^^,)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH, this looks wonderful, and it definitely put me right in the mood for fall. I love this season. Little golden heart girl is so pretty and those pancakes with that lemon syrup sound unbelievably delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Marie

    Those pancakes look so good, thanks for the recipe. Could I use frozen blackberries and blueberries instead of fresh, if so would it alter the recipe in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. meg: I can do one with dragonflies. Just say the word!

    Sandra: I have posted some of my work in the past. If you look in my right hand column you will see the link to all my artwork posts under What's on the Menu. Also there are links there to my art blog, Blossom Time Creations, and also to my Etsy shop which is where I sell prints and originals.

    jenjen: conkers are fallen chestnuts. In the autumn the children drill holes through them and attatch a string so that they can clunk them together and play "conkers"!

    Jackie: It's perfectly acceptable to use frozen berries!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Autumn is by far my favourite season. You're probably the only person I know who knows what a conker is. My dad used to drill a whole in our chestnuts when we were kids and we would play.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!