Friday 26 September 2008

I think, therefore I am . . .



"Thoughts mould your features. Thoughts lift your soul heavenward or drag you toward hell . . . As nothing reveals character like the company we like and keep, so nothing foretells futurity like the thoughts over which we brood . . . To have the approval of your conscience when you are alone with your thoughts is like being in the company of true and loving friends. To merit your own self-respect gives strength to character. Conscience is the link that binds your soul to the spirit of God."
~David O McKay

When you ponder it, every single action we have, begins first with a thought. Before we grab a cookie, or walk out the door, or tell that lie, or have that argument, or help that little old lady across the street . . . we first have the thought. The decision to do right or wrong happens right in our heads before we even do it. The thought may be inspired by good or by evil, but ultimately the choice of action is our own to make. Every action has a consequence. When we think good thoughts and do good things, good things come back to us. When we harbour bad thoughts and act on them, well . . . I’m afraid not much good can come from that.




We cannot help bad thoughts from coming into our minds from time to time. It’s only natural and human. We can stop ourselves from acting on them though, and we can choose to counter them with an equal and opposite good thought when we find ourselves thinking them. When I have a bad thought I try to think about or hum my favourite hymn for a few minutes and that usually takes it away.

Think about it . . . you’ll see that it’s true.



Right about now, if you are reading this early in the morning over in the UK, I am at our chapel cooking breakfast for a group of growly and overtired teens, and a fed adults (who are probably feeling even growlier!) that have just spend the last six hours, indeed overnight, tramping around the English countryside. Todd and I are probably a bit bleary eyed as well for we have to be at the chapel and have breakfast ready by six a.m.! That means we shall have gotten up about 4 a.m. so that we can be there and be ready. Now, I am used to being up quite early, but not my Todd. We go to bed the same time everynight, but he sleeps most mornings until past 8, so he shall be getting up quite a bit earlier than he is used to getting up! But, he's a sweetie pie and I know he is doing it to help support me and my calling as a leader in the youth program of our church. Not to mention, it's not every day of the week he gets to enjoy a cooked breakfast made by none other than moi!

On the menu is bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, bread and butter, juice and pancakes . . . not to mention a great big jug of my own homemade pancake syrup. It's the best!



*Marie's Pancake Syrup*
Makes 2 cups

I have been making this for years. With five growing children in my home money was always a little bit on the short side. This was my way around having to buy expensive pancake syrup or maple syrup. Actually my children always liked this a lot more than anything I could buy and to be honest so did I, and I still do. You could flavour it with some maple flavouring of course, but why bother. I like to use pure vanilla and some cinnamon sticks to flavour mine. That makes it just that little bit more special!

1 cup white sugar
1 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
1 cup corn syrup (In the uk, use golden syrup)
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half

Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer gently for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before removing the cinnamon stick and pouring it into a large bottle. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.

This is delicious on pancakes, french toast and drizzled over ice cream believe it or not!

8 comments:

  1. I hope that all went well with the breakfast...I am sure that the leaders and girls will be less "growly" after they eat your delicious breakfast. Why did they take an all night hike anyway? I hope our YM don't get that idea. It sounds too hard to me.

    Thanks Todd for helping. You two make a great team.

    Have a great weekend. I send love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delish sounding breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I'm wishing I was in the group too ;) then, I get to enjoy the breakfast! Will definitely try to make your famous syrup!!

    Have a blessed Sunday Marie!
    Angela KL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That syrup looks fab! A lot of times I make mine own, too, with maple flavoring. A lot cheaper and better for you than store-bought! Much love, Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told you I imagine perfectly Todd helping you!! aahh is a sweettie, Hubby help me sometimes too but how he is a little nerveous give me a lot of intructions, xxxxxxx Gloria
    Nice syrup to panqueques Marie, have a lovely day!!! (and rest a little)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true what you say about one's thought life! The syrup looks real yummy! I love your food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've never made my own syrup(is that pathetic or what?) i am totally going to make your recipe this week! then i will feel oh so domesticated. joey will be proud! :)

    its so true how we need to watch our thoughts(like that book of mormon scripture in mosiah). every act starts with a thought. i like to hum hymns too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just popping by to say hello and tell you that I ate pancakes friday morning with buterpecan syrup and they were sooooo good.....alas i am back on a 'diet" this morning..the countdown to lester's return is on and I am determined to lose weight for this...
    hugs from Florida..
    Lyn
    http://journals.aol.com/ukgal36/Britsblog/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!