Wednesday 15 April 2009

A promise you can bank on . . .



"Be meek and lowly in heart . . . cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever."
~Alma 37: 34,36


You know . . . some days are diamonds, and some days are dust. It can't be helped, for that's just life.

There are days when you just seem to roll along on the high tide of joy and happiness, and then there are days when the joyride comes to a complete halt and you just want to bang your head against a wall, or you suddenly find yourself sobbing your heart out, and asking why . . . moments when you just want to give into despair.

Those are the moments when we need our knees most of all.



Those are moments when we need to lean upon the Lord and rest in His promises. He has assured us that we are never alone in our sorrows, and that He is there for us no matter the time of day or night, and no matter what it is that we have to bring to Him. He will carry us. Our path need never be a lonely one, unless we choose it to be so. The solitary journey that Christ took to the cross made it possible that we need never walk alone again. Sometimes it's tough to remember that . . . especially when we are sorely tempted to want to wallow in our sorrows . . . but . . . when you hit your knees and the sweet peace of his yoke and easy burden washes over you, it can lift you up to a Heavenly realm and comfort, for His promises are sure . . .

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." John 14:18

That's a promise you can bank on . . . and He won't fail you . . . ever.




I did another little painting yesterday afternoon. I had sketched this one several weeks ago and was so happy to finally have some time that I could bring it to life. Here's a little taste of it, but of course you can see the full version on my other page, HERE.

This is a delicious little cake that you can whip up in no time at all. It takes literally minutes to put together and before you know it, it will be baking in the oven. Truly, it is that easy.



*Sweet Yellow Cake*
Makes one 9 inch square cake

Five minutes in the bowl, 30 minutes in the oven and served warm. It's crowning glory is the warm chocolate glaze that you spoon over top of it as soon as it comes out of the oven. This is scrumptiously moreish, need I say more?

6 TBS butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 cup sour milk
(place a tsp of lemon juice in a measuring cup and fill with milk to the half cup level)
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
6 ounces good quality chocolate broken into pieces
(I use a mixture of Green and Black's milk chocolate and Lindt dark)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 TBS butter



Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly grease a 9 inch square cake pan. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well together. Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl and whisk well together. Stir the milk and vanilla together.

Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture in thirds alternating with one third of the milk mixture, mixing until all the ingredients are combined and no flour is visible.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place in the oven to bake. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until cake tests done and either a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or the top springs back when lightly touched with a fingertip.

Make the glaze while the cake is baking. Place the chocolate, milk and sugar into a small saucepan and cook over medium low heat, cooking and stirring until the chocolate has melted and the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Stir until the butter has completely melted and amalgamated into the sauce. Keep warm until the cake comes out of the oven.

When the cake is done and out of the oven, poke holes all over the top with a skewer or the tines of a fork. While the cake is still hot and in the pan, pour 1/2 cup of the glaze over the top and let it soak into the cake for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut the cake into squares and serve while still warm, with some more of the chocolate sauce spooned over top. Scrumdiddlyumptious!





16 comments:

  1. Am I first? Am I? Oh boy this is good!

    I did ove this post (don't I always?) but I do hope God doesn't start to absolutely insist on knees or I'm sunk.

    Dare not make this lovely sounding cake as I might be forced to eat it all! What's it likewhen cold?

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the chocolate oozing all over the fluffy looking cake. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bleeding hearts are enchanting...all those hearts on the line...It will be weeks yet until ours are in bloom, so lovely to see yours already! Your new illustration is equally enchanting...I would love to be in on that sweet tea party! Your yellow cake with rich chocolate icing reminds me so much of cakes of my childhood...Thanks for the taste of home. :o) Such treats to get to talk to you yesterday, Marie--always the highlight of a week! LOVE YOU HEAPS! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bleeding heart plants they are just beautiful. We have a small one, hopefully it will get larger. I know some chocolate lovers that would love a piece of that cake nice and warm and oozing with chocolate sauce. Hope your Wednesday is a good one.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I am on Jenny Craig, but I might have to make this cake for my son, who turns 15 on Saturday.. he would love, love this!! with all that chocolate?!?!? YUMMY...
    Lisa (lisita15)
    http://beachmom15.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is such a blessing to know that our Savior will always be by our side. i agree. there are many days where i want to bang my head into the wall too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why am I torturing myself reading through every ingredient of sweet yellow cake and staring at the picture when I am on a diet and eating yogurt, vegetables and fruit salad? Of course, these recipes are all the more appealing now. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post Marie! And that cake looks divine! The glaze is what put it over the top for me.

    I hope you are having a wonderful day! It is snowing here (grrrr)

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe what that harlot said to you! (last comment you left for me) OOOOHHHH! I'm so mad I could spit. She's the most ridiculous, irrational evil being to walk this Earth!

    Did you see that clip of that lady from Scotland singing on Britain's Got Talent? If you didn't, you need to see the whole thing. It's 7 minutes long, but it's so sweet I started blubbering at work. She reminded me of you b/c she had to wait until 48 to follow her dreams b/c she was taking care of her mother, but even though the audience was laughing at her b/c of her appearance and dress, she WOWED them! It was so heartwarming. And now she's got a record deal and everthing! Watch it. You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie:

    I know that when I start to feel down, I can hop on over to your blog, read your latest entry and really feel much better. That means alot!

    Thanks so much:
    Kim
    Garden Painter Art

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks so delich!!!
    Lovely picture..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie this looks so good, I can taste the gooey chocolate now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You truly touch my heart and soul. Loved the pictures of the Bleeding Hearts (can hardly wait for ours to bloom again:) and the scriptures.
    Everything is soo true. We will nevr be left alone and our Savior will ALWAYS be there when we ask HIM to be.
    You bless my heart and I pray the Lord to Bless your heart always.

    Hugs, Beth
    I just read Blondie's comment...The lady is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cake looks so yummy.... I am longing for a piece... right now... for breakfast. We got home last night and I have no idea what I will make for breakfast this morn. I should get to the market soon but I wanted to say hello to you first.

    Thanks for your spiritual thought in this post. As always, I agree with you 100%.

    I must get busy. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  15. After being away I love coming back and reading all the blogs I have missed, it reminds me why I love them! And these gorgeous treats are why I love your blog - the cake looks absolutely delish :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mrs.Marie,its so nice to stop by,your always speaking about the Lord,where would we be,without Him!! I love the recipes,but Your words,always seem,worth more than the recipes!! There are times in our lives,where just something said,by a friend,(not in our close world)just seems to go right where it hurts,and makes it all better!!I really do like your recipes though,and may try this "Little cake today"!!Have a nice day!! Thanks a Bunch!! Jim-49

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!