Thursday 7 May 2009

A Word Fitly Spoken . . .



"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." ~Proverbs 25:11

Several months back I had the occasion to speak to the Head Managers in the home office of a big appliance store over here in the UK, called Curry's. We had purchased a new television from them and I had been very impressed with the sales clerk that had dealt with us. He had been friendly and very helpful. He made sure that the television we purchased was the model that would be perfect for us, suited our needs to a "T", and that we got the best deal possible for it. He gave us good advice and was just a real gem. In a day and age when most clerks, if you can get hold of one, are totally lackadaisical and un-interested in you , the customer, or your needs . . . it had been most impressive and refreshing . . . and I had wanted to tell the head people just what a valuable employee they had in this young man.

To say that they were dumbfounded by my call, is to say the least. I expect they are used to getting calls of complaint, but it is very rare that they get a call such as mine, which was positive and praising. They were delighted, and I hope that this young man got a big pat on the back, and maybe even a raise in pay! (At least it is nice to think so.)



So often, when we think of the words we speak, we tend to dwell on the ones we'd like to take back. Words that have been said in haste, words that sting . . . words that hurt, words that make us look stupid . . . There are, however, some words that communicate love and encouragement. These are words that can change the way you look at life, and indeed the way life looks at you:

"You do that really well."
"May I pray for you right now?"
"How are you . . . really?"
"What you said (or did) helped me."
"I was wrong."
"Thanks for leading/serving."
"Have I offended you."
"I appreciate the way you (fill in the blank)."
"What can I do to help?"
"Tell me about your day job, kids . . . "
"Please forgive me."
"I still love you."
"God is big enough to (again fill in the blank)."
"I'm proud of you."
"You're really growing, and in a good way."
"Please come over for dinner."
"I missed you."
"I'm so happy for you."
"I prayed for you today."
"That must be very difficult."
"I'll be glad to!"
"I forgive you."
"I really love you."



In short . . . if there are words that you'd welcome hearing, then it's probably a safe bet that they are words that would go a long ways towards encouraging others as well.

Today, I will try to make my words uplifting, helpful and encouraging. How about you?



On the days I work a split shift, we always have our main meal in the middle of the day. I always try to cook things that are quick and easy, without compromising taste. This is a delicious casserole dish that I made the other day for our dinner. It is quick, simple to do and very, very tasty.



*Chicken Crumble*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

I often have leftover chicken and am always on the lookout for different and delicious ways to present it. I found this recipe many years ago and it
quickly became a family favourite. The original recipe called for cream, which while very nice, probably adds a lot more fat to this than I care for these days. I
have made a few changes which in no way take away from the flavour of the original recipe. If anything, it tastes even better.

Filling:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 bouillon cubes (chicken)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp summer savoury, crumbled
(You can substitute thyme if you wish)
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
(If you can't get this, use dried sage)
2 cups skimmed milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
Topping:
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter, cut into bits
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 large egg, beaten



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Melt the 1/4 cup of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, pepper, summer savoury and poultry seasoning. Cook, stirring, until smooth. Whisk in the milk. Continue to cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Crumble in the bouillon cubes and stir to mix in well. Stir in the chicken and vegetables and cook until thoroughly heated.

Pour the filling into an un-greased 2 litre casserole dish.

Combine the flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the mixture with your finger tips until it is crumbly. Stir in the egg and continue to mix with your
fingertips until it is well mixed in. Crumble this topping over top of the filling in the casserole dish.

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until the crumble topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly and well cooked.

I like to serve this with baked or mashed potatoes. It always goes down a real treat!

PS - I have to work quite late tonight, so if I haven't posted by later in the day tomorrow, don't worry. There's nothing wrong, I'm just sleeping.

14 comments:

  1. In haste, many words are said that really never should have been. It's best to take time in speaking for sure. I love the pictures of the beautiful blue flower you have in your entry this morning! The chicken crumble sounds so good too!
    Hope your day goes well and you do sleep in tomorrow. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. In haste, many words are said that really never should have been. It's best to take time in speaking for sure. I love the pictures of the beautiful blue flower you have in your entry this morning! The chicken crumble sounds so good too!
    Hope your day goes well and you do sleep in tomorrow. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words...the power of words never fails to amaze me! And a word said for the good always uplifts! Taking time for words and using them well is a good thing, I think. Lovely thoughts here...and photos too. Hope you are getting some rest...Today's recipe is tasty--hubby would love this one. Happy Day, sweet friend! LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. the saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is SO NOT TRUE! we need to be careful when we are upset to not let the heat of the moment have us say something we may regret forever. thanks for the reminder of that marie! hope you have a great day and get to catch up on your z's tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear Marie,
    You are so right about words... thoughtless ones are so hurtful... kind ones are so helpful. A cheerful positive attitude is contageous and uplifting. Sincere praise seems to be sadly in short supply but always appreciated by those who recieve it.

    I will try to use your loving and encouraging phrases more often.

    I love you to bits...I wish you could join Sil and me at the beach. It is beautiful here and you would make our sunny days even sunnier.

    Sorry that you have to work late. Are they leaving again so soon? Take care you are always in my heart and prayers.x0x0x Lura

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chicken dish looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to write you an e-mail. I need advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious advice and delicious food, you have made your mark on my day! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That recipe sounds wonderful. And thanks for the printable option. After spending 6 years in a Customer Service call center and hearing all sorts of screaming mad people, I am more apt to compliment for good service and gently point out bad service to a manager or supervisor. When I've had bad service,say at a drive up window. I wait until I get home & calmed down and then I call back and talk to the person in charge. That way, I'm not complaining in anger. But compliments are so uplifting. The young man that helped me at Wal Mart the other day had only been on the job 3 days. He didn't know all the answers to my questions but he told me he was new & went and found the answer for me. When I checked out, I mentioned that Marcus was so nice and helpful. He was standing there & he just beamed. I could tell it made him feel confident..ready for the next customer. Linda in Washington where the sun is peeking thru clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the granny bonnets Marie arn't they just lovely flowers.Well thats my slang name for them (Aquillegia).If I am right in saying they are.Yes it makes all the differance in th eworld when one gets such a pleasant service guess there are not many about now to my knowledge,but it is something I have done as you did.Hope you and Todd are well.The crumble dish looks delicious but I am not a lover of chicken.Take Care God Bless Kath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the title of this post. We should all strive for a word fitly spoken.
    take care
    tina
    p.s. my blog went private and that is why no updates are being sent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your chicken crumble looks so wonderful. I was wishing I had just a bit more chicken left in my freezer so I could make it last night. Ironically, I had nearly everything else (and could have made do otherwise) except the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks wonderful! Perfect comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sent hand-written notes to my Dad's facility executive director praising the aides who were the kindest to my Dad. I later learned they receive gift certificates from the facility when that happens. I think sometimes we are too quick to complain about service, and not praise when praise is due. On the other hand, as you say, some service is so very lacking & rude...
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!