Saturday 30 May 2009

An ode to buttercups . . .



A baby gardener sat in tears
Beside her private plot.
Alas, a yellow buttercup
(A simple yellow buttercup)
Was all that she had got.
She'd nursed it since it was a seed,
And now she found it was a weed.

Unhappy little six year old,
To learn, as all must do
(though they be Kings with golden crowns),
That life is full of ups and downs,
And dreams that don't come true.
I said: "'Tis very sad indeed,
But are you sure it is a weed?"

We sat and thrashed the matter out
For nearly half an hour,
Suppose this rather lovely thing . . .
(This harbinger of early spring) . . .
Was, after all, a flower.
And, in the end, we both agreed;
A buttercup is not a weed.
~Reginald Arkell



Oh, how I have always loved buttercups. Can there ever be a more beautiful sight, than to chance upon a field of wild buttercups, their little yellow heads dancing in the breeze amongst the tall grasses. They always bring a smile to my face and a song into my heart. I want to plunge into them with both feet and dance amongst them, but I restrain myself for fear I'd look quite silly . . .

As a child we used to hold them up to each other's chin and beg the question . . . "Do you like butter?" . . . the answer always yes . . . the yellow glow upon the other's chin the proof positive that this was so. Oh childish games, but wonderful memories.



I was thrilled to get an e-mail this morning from Foodie View of the Day. It seems they have chosen to highlight one of my pictures. The one of the Garlic Dill Oven Chips. You can vote for it here if you like. I've had food photos featured there before, but I thought this time I would tell you all about it, and give you the opportunity to vote.



We had the most delicious lunch yesterday, Heuvos Rancheros. It was something I had always wanted to try, but just never gotten around to making. I was really impressed with them and I know I'm going to make them again one day. These were a real favourite . You can read all about it and get the recipe HERE. It is a new blog I have started up, a totally only food blog. I will be launching it officially on June first, along with a tasty giveaway and special post. But do hop on over and have a peek and let me know what you think.



We're off to the beach today. It's such a beautiful day out there and beautiful sunny Saturdays are not something that happens alot over here. We do get beautiful days, but most often during the week when I have to work! Today I can play and so we are going to take a nice drive down to the coast and walk along the beachfront and munch on fish and chips and just enjoy a relaxing time together. I'll try to remember to bring my camera!

My mom always made the best coleslaw. This was a salad we all loved no matter what time of year it was. She never used a grater, but painstakingly sliced and chopped all the vegetables by hand. I could eat a big plate of this and nothing else. It's delicious and not cloyingly filled with mayonnaise like the stuff you find in the shops. This is light and tasty.



*Mom's Coleslaw*
Serves 4 to 5
Printable Recipe

I am betting that this is the best coleslaw you will ever eat. This is the perfect salad to bring to potlucks or barbecues. Mom always cut her vegetables up by hand, and I think the vegetables taste better that way. It really doesn't take that much effort and I think you will agree that the added texture makes for a very delicious salad. The buttermilk and the raisins are my own addition. This can be easily doubled for a larger crowd. Be sure to plan ahead as this tastes best if made the night before, in order to allow the flavours to blend properly.

1/2 head of green cabbage ( or known as white cabbage over here, some 5 cups hand shredded and chopped)
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 green onion, trimmed and minced
1/2 cup sultana raisins
DRESSING:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS cream
2 TBS buttermilk
1 1/2 TBS white vinegar
1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
3 TBS white sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Using a sharp knife cut the cabbage into fine shreds and then chop it into smaller bits. You want the pieces to be about the size of your baby fingernail. You can either grate or chop the carrot. We like the extra texture the chopped carrot gives. Transfer all the vegetables, including the onion, to a large bowl, tossing together well.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large beaker. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Pour over the veggies in the bowl and mix well to combine. Cover and store in the fridge overnight in order to allow the flavours to blend. About half an hour before serving, stir in the sultanas.

*Note - mom sometimes added peeled and finely chopped cucumber and or green peppers. These add another dimension to the mix and more colour and texture. You may also add a small handful of chopped toasted walnuts just before serving if you wish. They add a wonderful crunch!


5 comments:

  1. Your coleslaw does look very good. And I love the buttercup photos, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am picky about any slaw, but the cucumber addition I would like.
    I like buttercups, but peanut butter cups even more. I see only one other comment, but I've had a load of emailed comments from bloggers saying they could not enter mine yesterday, so perhaps that is the case with yours as well. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coleslaw dear Marie and Esperanza too!! I love soo!!
    So I hope to make soon.
    Here rain toda but is so welcome, dear we have so little rains and is neede you know to the farm, grass, veggies etc. Im pleasure that is raining, I send you huggs and blessings, xxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. i say you need to go dance in that field of buttercups right away! who ares if people think you look silly? silly=cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfasts! The sauce is even better with the addition of chorizo!
    You know I'll be checking out your food blog! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!