Sunday 10 May 2009

An Ode to Mother's everywhere . . .



There is a story about four clergymen who were discussing the merits of the various translations of the Bible. One liked the King James Version best, because of it's simple, beautiful English.

Another liked the American Revised Version best, because it is more literal and comes nearer to the original Hebrew and Greek.

Still another liked Moffat's translation because of it's up-to-date vocabulary.

The fourth minister was silent. When asked to express his opinion, he replied. "I like my mother's translation best."

The other three expressed surprise. They did not know that his mother had translated the Bible.

"Yes, she did," he replied. "She translated it into life, and it was the most convincing translation I ever saw."
~author unknown



I shall call my mother later today and express to her my fondest wishes for her to have a Happy Mother's Day and my appreciation for all that she has done for me in my life and continues to do . . . and, most importantly of all, my deep and abiding love for her.

No, I don't really need a special day to do this for her, as I do this every time I speak with her. I show it in the small and simple things that I continue to do for her, when, and if I can.

I love my mother with all of my heart. She gave me life. She gave me her life. Throughout my childhood she set an example for me that showed me how to be a good person, a kind person, a compassionate and a loving person . . . she taught me how to be a good wife, a good mother, a good friend. She served me all the days of my youth, and continues to serve me to this day. There is no gift good enough to really repay her for all that she has done for me. Oh, I give small tokens . . . flowers, jewelry, nic nacs etc. but . . . they are only tokens . . . symbols of what I truly feel for her. The best gift of all is . . . my love and loyalty.



A mother's love is eternal. A mother's love never dies. I don't think I ever really appreciated all that my mother did for me until I grew up and had children of my own. And then it was like a light went on in my head, and I realized just what being a mother was all about, and I began to fully understand what it was to care . . . really care about someone to the degree that a mother cares for her child . . . to love enough that you would die in order to keep them safe . . . to love enough that you would stay up all night if need be to comfort, to nurse, to watch over, and to pray . . . to delight, fully delight in the small accomplishments, and larger successes, and to truly sorrow over disappointments and failures . . . to boost when needed and to carry when needed . . . to do all those things that . . . after having given birth . . . you cannot ignore or put aside anymore than you could stop breathing of your own will. To sacrifice selflessly and endlessly . . . and willingly.



To my own Dear Sweet Mother, and to all the mother's out there, my fondest wish for you, is that today you have a Happy Mother's Day filled with love and joy.

"The true strength of any nation, lies in those qualities of character that have been acquired for the most part by children taught in the quiet, simple, everyday manner of mothers."
~Gordon B Hinckley

I cannot bake or make a special meal for my mother, living as far away as I do now. I try to make up for it when I do go home in every way possible. If I could bake her something today, I'd bake her some of these . . . they're lovely and I know she'd really enjoy them.



*Blackberry Coconut Slices*
Makes about 20
Printable Recipe

With a tender cake base, a filling of sweet blackberry jam mixed with tart fresh blackberries and topped with a lucious rich coconut topping, these moreish bars please on many levels. These are the perfect tea time treat!

Base:
4 1/2 ounces butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk
Filling:
1/2 cup blackberry jam
1 cup fresh blackberries
Topping:
3 1/2 ounces butter
5 TBS sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
1/2 cup flour



Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Grease and line an 8 by 12 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar for the base together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla, mixing well. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and stir in along with the milk. Spread this mixture evenly into the prepared pan. (dust your fingers with some flour in order to spread it evenly if you need to.) Dot the jam over top as best and as evenly as you can. Sprinkle with the fresh berries.

Cream the butter and sugar together for the topping until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beating until well combined. Stir in the coconut and the flour, mixing in completely. Spread evenly over the blackberries.



Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and then return to the oven to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until completely set in the middle. When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cutting into rectangles to serve.

14 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Marie! The Jam slice looks really lovely and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love this photo of your mum. What a beautiful woman she is.

    Keith loves coconut-y tarts - shame I'm out of coconut. I'm quite proud of the fact that his liking for coconut has come about because of me. He wouldn't eat it when we were first married, before someone had shown him how coconut can be. Oooh what an arrogant madam I sound!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mothers Day! I love coconutty things but we never seem to have them at my house: must try this :D I bet it would be delicous with other fruits like raspberries too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    I sent you an e-mail! I can't wait to get LFB done--I had a dream it was done last night!

    Go check out my blog. :) I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mum's Day, dear Marie! Lovely post-tribute to you mom...so sweet! And speaking of sweet...today's cake is soooo scrummy!...mmm...Hoping to get to chat with you tonight. We're "recovering" after a busy weekend so far ourselves--LOL! LOVE YOU HEAPS ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOUR MOTHER WAS A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG WOMAN...
    I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT MY DAUGHTER LOVES ME THE WAY YOU LOVE YOUR MUM...
    HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day sweet Marie!

    I'm sure your children could say the same wonderful things about you that you've said about your Mom. That was a beautiful post.

    Hope your day is filled with joy and love! :)

    (That cake looks so yummy!)

    XOXO
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post and tribute to your mother. She must be a very special lady, just like her daughter.
    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute to your Mother Marie, I called my mom today as well. Love the Mothere's Day recipe too it looks wonderful!! Happy Mother's day Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mothers Day Marie~ May today be filled with beauty and many good memories. I wish I was brave enough to cook for my Mother who is an extraodinary cook herself. Somehow I did not inherit that gene from her.........

    I adored the photo of your Mom. She looks positively beautiful.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Mother's day dear

    Must run

    Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  12. What sweet words you have about your mother. She truly did instill those wonderful qualities in you. You said it so eloquently (you should write a book). I loved the picture of you and your mom. So sweet. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie tomorrow morning first thingI am going to just sit down and read your entire last week's worth of posts. I need to set a special time aside to read your things and reflect and comment. Every time I read something I realize I cannot just put down a few words and go on. I need to spend time here~thank you for such a wonderful elevating and uplifting post about motherhood. Absolutely amazing! Your Mom is one lucky lady!

    I hope your day was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so yummy! I just happened to stumble upon your blog and I love it. I'm following you. Check out my blog and if you like what you see follow me! :D

    http://www.thechroniclesofnicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!