Tuesday 5 May 2009

Cultivating kindness . . .



"Train your minds and your hands that you may be equipped to serve well in the society of which you are a part. Cultivate the art of being kind, of being thoughtful, of being helpful. Refine within you the quality of mercy, which comes as part of the divine attributes you have inherited."
~Gordon B Hinckley

I like to think that I am a kind person. People have not always been kind to me, but I have always tried my hardest to be kind to others. It costs nothing to be kind and thoughtful, and I have found that the dividends that you reap in the long run, far outweigh anything you might perceive it as having cost you . . . things such as pride, or saving face. (pride goeth before the fall you know . . . )



Sometimes when others are being unkind to you, you may feel like you want to be unkind back, but there is more value to be had in turning the other cheek. When a nasty person is faced with a complete opposite reaction to what they were expecting, it often knocks them back a peg or two, and may even make them feel a bit sheepish for having been so nasty in the first place. They may think twice before being unkind to you another time.

When I was growing up, my father had a saying that he used to repeat to me and my siblings all the time. "You catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar." I often think about those words, and I can see the value in them now that I am an adult myself and have matured with time and experience. I find that in any given situation if I ask myself, "What would Jesus do" . . . and then follow up on that thought, by actually doing what I think He would do, I have made the wisest choice . . . and taken the higher road.

It's not always easy, in the heat of passion or anger, to do the right thing, or to react in kindness when faced with hurt, or negativity . . . but with time and practice it does come easier, and I can assure you that the feelings you walk away with are a lot nicer to live with than the alternative. The feeling that comes from knowing you have done the right thing is worth more than it's weight in gold, and feels so much better than knowing you could have done better or that the adversary has had another little victory in your life . . .



Try to do one kind thing each day and before long it has become a way of life . . . The truth is you always reap what you sow. Good karma begets good karma and life is so much sweeter. Just my thoughts this morning . . .



I am sorry if you came here looking for Tuesdays With Dorie this week. This week's challenge was Tiramisu Cake on pages 266 to 268 as chosen by My Baking Adventures by Megan. I just did not have the ingredients at hand. We don't do alcohol or coffee in our house either. Normally I would have tried to come up with another version but my brain just wouldn't co-operate this time around. If you want the recipe, do hop on over to Megan's page to check it out and as always you can check out the Dorie Blogroll to see what the others may have done. Next week's recipe is going to be a Lemon Tart, which is something I can do . . . in fact, hmmm . . . is this prophetic or what? (This is what I made yesterday afternoon . . . )



*Lemon and Raspberry Meringue Tart*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

There was a recipe quite similar to this in the Good Food magazine this month using lemon curd as a filling. I much prefer my own lemon filling. It's creamy and quite delicious.

Pastry (your own or store bought) to fill a 10 inch tart case
For the filling:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sifted cake flour
1 TBS cornstarch
1/2 cup milk
1 cup boiling water
1 TBS butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks (save the whites for the topping)
the grated zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
For the Meringue:
4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp cornstarch



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Prepare your pastry and line your tart tin, leaving a bit of an overhand all around. Line with some parchment paper and fill with some baking beans or rice. Place on a baking sheet and bake blind for about 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Trim the overhang off with a serrated knife when cool.

To make the filling: Whisk the sugar, cake flour, and cornstarch together in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Wisk in the boiling water and butter. Cook and stir for approximately 20 minutes. It will have become quite thick. Whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest together in a small bowl. Whisk in a bit of the hot mixture to temper the eggs, and then wisk this mixture back into the hot mixture. Cook for no more than 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside to cool.

Once the filling is cool proceed as follows.

Scatter 1 cup of the raspberries in the bottom of your tart shell. Spread the lemon filling over top.

Whisk the egg whites together in a large clean bowl until they are quite stiff. Whisk in the sugar in two batches, whisking back to shiny stiff peaks each time. Fold in the vinegar and cornstarch. Swirl the meringue over top of the lemon filling. Bake for 10 minutes until it is lightly golden.

Cool for 20 minutes before lifting out of the tin and onto a serving plate. Scatter the remaining raspberries over top and dust with a bit of icing sugar if desired.


15 comments:

  1. I love the idea of putting those berries under the lemon filling. What a nice way to change an old favorite. I agree that kindness is a way of life to pursue. There does seem to be alot of anger in the world and more kindness is needed. A gentle word and a smile go along way for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Try to do one kind thing each day and before long it has become a way of life . . . The truth is you always reap what you sow. Good karma begets good karma and life is so much sweeter."...I couldn't agree more, Marie. Sowing the seeds of kindness every day of my life is something I strive for. In this modern world where so much seem to be about self-gain, materialism and stepping over others, a lot of kindness goes a long way to making the world a gentler place...one act of kindness at a time. :o) LOVE the tart recipe today...those berries are wonderful addition to a classic recipe! Happy Day, dear friend...LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Marie, on the need to be kind. sometimes this is very difficult but taking the high road is always healthier. My youngest daughter , Laura, that lives in Italy has been having some difficult times lately. She is the musical director of a play (High School Musical) being put on by a local theater group. While working with the group the adults wanted her to single out one or two teens and intimidate them even if they were not preforming badly. They use this method to get all the kids to perform better out of fear. Laura was having no part of it. She tried to explain that did not work as well as praising them for their good performances.

    Over the past three months with about nine hours of practice per week she has chosen the high road and made these other adults very angry. They have totally blackballed her because of it and treated her very poorly.

    I am so proud of her that she has stuck with it, honored her commitment and her high Christ-like standards under very difficult circumstances. Because of this the high school kids have had a good experience in spite of the other four adults.

    I remember President Hinckley once saying that many of the troubled marriages could be saved if they just employed one thing in their interactions with one another. That thing was kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about being kind - those are sentiments I feel very strongly about. It is good to see someone else who feels the same way and that there are other people who live their lives like this. Beautiful flower photos too by the way! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your message today. I just love Pres. Hinckley. Didn't he just put things so nicely. He has such a way with words. Like yourself. The pictures were beautiful. From your garden?

    AND DARN...Love to have tasted that yummy desert.
    Have a good day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's terrible what's happening to Bonnie's daughter in Italy, isn't it? I can't stand bullying in any form but I expect most of us have been on the receiving end some time or other.

    Lemon pie is Keith's favourite. Unfortunately he isn't getting any until a few of my surplus pounds has gone!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post! I really need to work on responding with kindness instead of anger. It is hard sometimes but the results are so much better. The tart looks light and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thoughts today Marie. So true. If there is one thing I want to teach my kids it is to treat others with kindness.

    Yummy lemon tart too! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lemon meringue pie! What a great idea to add rasberries! Thank you!
    http://www.grubandstuff.blogspot.com/
    kasha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only have a minute... I must rush off with Sil.... but I had to read your post and as always I agree with you. Your father gave great advice....you are one of the kindess people I know. I am lucky to call you freind.

    The dessert looks wonderful.
    I love you,Lura

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your tart much better. I never liked tiramiseu.

    And you're the nicest lady I know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tart is fantastic I to am glad to see it instead of the TWD cake. It looks so good Marie!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhhh, this post hits close to home for me today. i've been faced with a friend who has completely decided to turn her back on me, be unkind, lie, say mean things, its just horrible. its been consuming me. and i don't know what to do. i tried to fix things, but they aren't fixable. she won't let it be. and i have slowly realized that i actually believe she has something emotionally/ psychologically wrong with her.(joey agrees-its just not normal the way she has turned on me. maybe she is bipolar? she has always been different. . .) anyways, its been a hard month or so. but i really did try to be her friend anyways. i felt like i really did try to think of what jesus would have done. and now i'm in a place where things still aren't good, but i know i tried. and maybe she'll come around. . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning pictures, Marie! I put an ode to your Apple Crumb Pie on my blog. Love, Ally

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you only knew how much this topic has been on my heart lately. I agree with you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!