Saturday 16 May 2009

Saturday morning ramblings . . .





"The world's favourite season is the spring.

All things seem possible in May."
~Edwin Way Teale

Oh what a nasty day we are having out there this morning. Gloomy, cold . . . wet. Tis the perfect day for staying indoors. It seems that spring has flown away and we are back to winter, but . . . I know in my heart it's not really so.

For all around me the lilacs are in bloom, and the rose bush by the kitchen window is filled with lovely pink buds just waiting to burst open. The clematis sheds her petals like snow, drifting down to the ground and the apple blossom is long gone . . . replaced with the promise of autumn fruits, but for now they are only tiny green buds . . .



There is a tree down at the edge of the garden that has blossom on it with a very odd smell. Quite noxious really, almost like ammonia. Isn't nature a funny thing . . . the ground beneath it when I walked home from work last night was white with the fallen blooms. I don't believe the smell shall be bothering us for much longer . . .

Despite the cold and wet weather the birds still treat us to their happy little songs. It is a joyous sound and I love it so . . . there have been a pair of Jack Daws coming in to the garden this past week. I don't know much about Jack Daws, except that they are from the crow family. They've been quite fun to watch. They seem quite nervous though, and never hang around for long. Perhaps that is a good thing with so many nesting birds.



Speaking of birds . . . a little birdie told me that some of the fields nearby are going to soon be filled with sheep. I can't wait. It is such a peaceful sound . . . the bleating of sheep and lambs. Especially on a hot summer's day. Can anything sound more comforting?

I am off to the chapel this morning to cook pizzas with the young men and young women. They are making them to raise more money for their EFY (Especially For Youth) camp coming up this August. It should be fun . . . that reminds me, I need to make the sauce before I go. Homemade is always a lot tastier than anything you might buy in a jar . . . at least I think so anyways. I better get cracking!! We are off to the store first to buy the pizza bases and toppings. I'll try to take some photos of all the fun later on!



We're also selling brownies. I don't think I know many people that don't like brownies. Even Todd, and he hates chocolate usually. He does like himself a brownie though. I know I have posted these here before, but some things are so good they bear repeating. This is my tried and true recipe for the perfect brownie. They are dense and fudgy and delicious. You can add nuts, or leave the nuts out. It's all up to you. Warmed up and piled two in a dish, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some hot fudge sauce spooned over top, these make the ultimate dessert. You'll find yourself waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to go downstairs for one. They're almost dangerous to have around . . . but go on . . . bake some . . . you know you want to . . .




*Fudge Walnut Brownies*
Makes 24 squares
Printable Recipe

I wish I had a pound for every time I have made brownies in my life and for every new brownie recipe I have tried! I’d be a rich woman! This is my old standard that I return to every time. Moist and delicious with full on chocolate flavour, these are everything a good brownie should be! You can leave the nuts out if you wish, or you can add chocolate chips instead. They then become double chocolate fudge brownies!

1 cup butter
1 cup plain flour
4 ounces good quality bitter chocolate
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 TBS vanilla essence (YES 1 TBS)
Pinch salt
½ cup walnut halves, broken into pieces

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Grease the bottom of an 8 inch square glass baking dish. Line with parchment paper, allowing an overhang for ease of lifting the brownies out afterwards. Grease the baking paper. Set aside.

Melt the butter along with the chocolate over low heat in a large pot. Allow to cool, then stir in the sugar, eggs (one at a time) vanilla, flour and salt, mixing with a wooden spoon and being careful not to over mix, no more than 50 strokes!

Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out a little wet if you want fudgy brownies. Bake until it comes out cleaner if you want cake type brownies, about 40 to 45 minutes for the fudgy ones. Place on a wire rack to cool. Lift out by the paper and then cut into squares before serving. Store in a tightly covered container.


8 comments:

  1. I adore this post! The pictures are beautiful and I love how you describe the flowers.
    The brownies look delectable and brownies are my hubby's ALL TIME favorite so I will have to try your recipe.
    Happy pizza cooking! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I used to take one of our late dogs for a walk I noticed a horrible smell as we passed quite a few houses. It was a bit like cats' pee but I could never figure out which bush or tree it was.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk of pizza and brownies...I feel so hungry now--LOL! What a lovely post...and such lovely photos, Marie. Hope you have fun making those pizzas with the young ones...do hope there'll be photos later. :o) Happy weekend dear friend. Hope we get a chance to chat even for a little bit tomorrow. Countdown to our trip really begins now! LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. pizza and brownies-sounds like the perfect breakfast to me:) hehe. we are having a wet gloomy morning over here as well. not cold at least, but i hate it when saturdays are dark and pouring rain. i want a day with sunshine to take the kids somewhere fun to play! its saturday after all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely pics, Marie! You are so lucky to be able to see and hear the sheep! What an idyllic setting you are in! Those brownies looked so tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those brownies Marie, they look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening, Marie. I am as always enthralled by your photos. The bleeding heart is gorgeous. I recently bought andplanted one in my perenniel bed. I pray it does as well as your. Your climate there must be so wonderful for flowering perenniels. Everything is always so lush and healthy!Shame on you, those brownies look to die for, and I really cant do so much suga anymore. BAH and humbug!!! I dont know how you do it, your food photos always ooze yumminess... Okay, i know it's because they are, and the photos ant help it, but I think i gain a pound or two just perusing your site!!!! And again as always I am so uplifted by your writing! You are a multitalented soul, and I love every visit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just feel like I am right there with you when I read your descriptions of your little town. It is really lovely! Hope the kids learned a lot making pizza with you...I am sure they did!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!