Wednesday 20 May 2009

The Gift of Time . . .



Take time to think, it is
the source of power.
Take time to play, it is the secret of perpetual
youth.
Take time to read, it is
the fountain of wisdom.
Take time to pray, it is
the greatest power on
earth.
Take time to love, to be
loved, it is God's given
privilege.
Take time to laugh, it is
the music of the soul.
Take time to give, it is
too short a day to be
selfish.
Take time to work, it is
the price of success."
~author unknown

I thought the above poem was very fitting this morning because time is something I am very short on. I have to work all night tonight and wouldn't you know, last night I could not sleep. I think I got a total of about 3 hours! It was so annoying, and the more I thought about it the worse it got! So I am up quite late this morning and must be off to work shortly. I'll surely need some help from above to get through the next 24 hours! Don't worry if you don't see a post from me until very late tommorrow, I shall hopefully be getting a well earned kip! In the mean time I want to leave you with two treats.



My newest piece of art that can be seen in it's entirety HERE. It's called "The Apology."

And . . . Peanut Butter Toffee Brownies! Moist brownies chock full of peanut butter taste and topped with a peanut butter drizzle icing, chopped chocolate coated toffee bits and chopped peanuts. What's not to like about these!!! (I know, I'm sooooo bad!)



*Peanut Butter Toffee Brownies*
Makes about 24 three inch bars
Printable Recipe

If you love peanut butter as much as I love peanut butter, you're going to love these tasty bars!

BROWNIES:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 TBS vanilla
3 cups self rising flour
TOPPING:
1 TBS smooth peanut butter
1 TBS butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
milk
4 coarsely chopped Dime toffee bars (Heath or Skor work as well)
(About 1 cups worth)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped peanuts



Pre-heat the oven to 160*C/325*F. Butter and line a 12 by 18 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Butter the paper. Set aside.

Cream the butter and peanut butter together in a large bowl, until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla
until well combined. Stir in the flour. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with moist crumbs attached.
Do not over bake. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.

To make the topping, cream the peanut butter and butter together with an electric mixer. Beat in the icing sugar and just enough milk to make a drizzable glaze. Drizzle this decoratively over top of the cooled brownies. Sprinkle with the chopped toffee bars and peanuts. Allow to rest until the icing sets up before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.


10 comments:

  1. Your toffee brownies look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit of mid-week naughtiness there in that recipe. I too have much to be thankful for: I don't like peanut butter so there isn't any in the house. Well, there is but excavating it from under the other tins and jars in the cupboard is more like a job for Time Team! Actually, it HAS been there rather a long time.

    I did enjoy our natter yesterday, as ever. Sorry you've got to work tonight after your sleepless night last night. I don't know how you can keep your eyes open, let alone stay alert and polite, as I suppose you must. I would be spitting feathers and be a total ratbag.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love peanut butter so those would be right up my ally for sure. I love your artwork and your baking and cooking recipes. There is very little about food that I don't like. I do hope your long day goes well and that you can sleep tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie I'm so sorry you didn't sleep. I haven't slept well in a week and I'm exhausted. I can't imagine working all night! I think my sleeplessness is the thought that I just have one more week after this with this sweet baby. While I'm more than ready to go home I'm going to miss him like crazy. :( blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. God will help you through the next few hours. Sleeplessness is cruel, isn't it? Take good care, sweet friend. Why do you have to cook all night? Yikes. That would be my nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry that you did not sleep well last night... and have to work all night tonight. You will be in my prayers.

    It was so good to talk to you again. We had a wonderful cruise, but I did miss blogging and talking to you. I love you and am glad to be in touch again.

    You are right about the p-nut butter brownies...wow...what I would give for one right now!!!

    I am sending love...good luck getting through the long day and night. XOXOXO Lura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Work seems to get in the way of a lot of things doesn't it? I used to clean the Logan Temple at nights. I would get 3 hours of sleep every day. I was raising toddlers and IT WAS MURDER!!! SO...when you get a chance, take a nap!!

    Can't wait to make the brownies. MY GOODNESS THEY LOOK WONDERFUL!!! You've got the cooking touch!
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for those two lovely treats(you are so selfless marie-even when you are so so tired, you still post stuff for your readers!) love your new painting and those brownies i will definitely be making soon! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're killing me! I must have these PB brownies!

    And I'm very intrested in your Tex-Mex turkey burger--if only you could make it for me!

    I hope you feel better! Get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another little gem of artwork from you hope you survive the next 24 hours ok but I know you will. Love Joan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!