Tuesday 9 June 2009

We'll always have Paris . . .



When I was a little girl, I was fortunate to have spent pretty much the first four years of my life living in Germany. My dad was in the Royal Canadian Air Force and we spent those years in Baden Baden, located in the Black Forest. When the time came to return to Canada, we were also pretty fortunate enough to be able to return by travelling on a Cunard Liner across the Atlantic, or so we thought. Turns out that sailing across the ocean in November can be quite unsettling and stormy, but then again that's a whole 'nother story.

You might ask why I am bringing this up??? The answer would be that we spent several days in Paris on our way to the coast to catch our ship. Two days that were spent sight seeing all the famous Parisian Landmarks, none of which we can really see in any of the photographs that were taken, because in November, back then . . . Paris was full of fog and everything is very hazy, including the Eiffel Tower. Never mind . . . we'll just have to make another trip some day.hopefully soon.



Welcome to Tuesdays with Dorie, that tasty baking group that bakes together in unison each week, one delicious recipe from that superbly delicious baking book . . . Baking, from my home to yours . . . authored by the equally as delicious Ms Dorie Greenspan. This week Jessica of My Baking Heart picked Parisian Apple Tartlet on page 319. Hence all the talk about Paris.



Be still my soul. Paris. Apples. Tarts.



Nothing could have been any simpler. Nothing could have been more delicious, but then again, the simple things in life are quite often the best. If you have apples, puff pastry, brown sugar and butter in the house, you have the makings of this delicious delight.



You were supposed to pretty much stick the whole apple, cut into quarters, into the centre of this tart, but I couldn't get the kind of apple that was required, or at least not any that looked half decent, and so I went with a Granny Smith, which I sliced and arranged in the middle.



I know it should have served two people according to the recipe, but Todd had no problem whatsoever scarfing down the lot himself . . . him being an apple pie freak and all. I didn't mind. When Todd's happy . . . I'm happy. Besides, if it goes past HIS lips, it doesn't land on MY hips!! It did smell good though, very good. I added a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon before I baked it, coz . . . well . . . I can never leave well enough alone.



If you would like the recipe hop on over to Jessica's page to pick it up, and while you're at it be sure to check out all the other tasty tarts on the Baking With Dorie Blog Roll. There are sure to be some drool worthy versions to oggle at!

Next week Tommi of Brown Interior has selected Honey-Peach Ice Cream on page 437. Sounds delicious, although I may have a problem with it as peaches are not in season right now, but we'll see what happens.

I am happy to report this morning that Jess is fine and dandy. The Vet said she must have bumped her elbow and he drained the lump. He said it was nothing serious at all. Whew!! We just have to watch it and see if it comes back, and if it does and is causing her discomfort then bring her back to see him. It is in a very difficult place to operate, so hopefully that will never be necessary. It's on her elbow as it were and since this is a place that is always bending, it would take forever to heal. Jess thanks you so much for all your kind words and thoughts, and so do we!

'Til tomorrow then. I've got something rather tasty planned . . . ☺


20 comments:

  1. Gosh, poor Jess! I don't know - I miss reading one day's posts and somebody somewhere gets up to some mischief! Sally is woofing him her love.

    I have got all sort of different apples in my fruitbowl thst need using up and I am VERY tempted to makes this (just for Keith, mind, not for me). There's even some frozen puff pastry in the freezer now too. And it's ready rolled so it wouldn't take a minute.................

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very glad to know that sweet Jess is ok--hooray! You must be so relieved. :o) This apple dish is pure delight. I've made something similar once--it was very good. I like the uncomplicated ingredients and presentation. Paris...I long to see that city...one day, hopefully! Looking forward to chatting with you tonight and catching up, my friend. Happy Day...LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful that Jess is ok. Puff pastry is one of those things that make baking so simple. I love it and all the yummy things you can do with it. Hope your Tuesday is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty tartlets! It was so simple and very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marie, I love how the sliced apples look! I ended up doing mine on squares, but they were delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tartlet looks perfect. Next time I'll try spicing mine up with some nutmeg too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie
    I'm glad to hear that Jess is fine. I am off to Mary Jo's Fabric Shop today, a sewer's dream place. I have to get the fabric for the back of a quilt I'm making that my cousin is paying me for :)
    Hope you're having a good day. It is already hot here and it's just 9:00 AM!
    ((hugs)) Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Paris!!! As you might now since I was there last weekend.... Your apple tartlets look perfect.

    Thanks for mentioning the restaurant, we're actually planning on going to St. Jacobs this Thursday and will take a look at Anna Mae's!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i soooo wish joey and i could visit europe this summer! but we can't:( we had talked about it but decided it wouldn't be the best financial choice. maybe someday....sigh. there are so many beautiful landmarks i'd love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for Jess and good health. The tart looks lover-ly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad Jess is OK. I now how attached people can get to their pets.

    Paris is so amazing. I do hope you gt to go one day again. We have been once but it was a time I'll never forget. Great and beautiful place.

    Your baking is killing me~looks delicious. I have lost 30 pounds since January so I am continuing on in my quest for less of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paris and apple pie! What a lovely way to start the day...reading of yummy travels and treats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you arranged your apples. These look amazing. And it was fun reading about the fog in Paris when you were there;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you sliced your apples.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for baking with me this week!! I love how you fanned the apples out - beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing your tartlette put a huge smile on my face -- it's so beautiful and just looking at it, I could tell that it was so delicious.

    Glad to hear the good news about Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my God!! I dont have idea about Jesses, some days I cant come, sorry by her, I hope will be Ok soon!!!

    Oh Paris, Dear I really would love to know Paris!!
    And this tart is wonderful!! look so taste!! I love apples. !
    Dear Marie, specially prayers by me today is my Birthday, yes today Im more old than you!!!!Thanks by your love,prayers, support and everything dear, God bless me today a lot!! He take care all.

    Huggs, Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drooling. I hope Jess gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have no idea how I wish this delectable tart was ditting in front of me, it wouldn't be here lon that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad Jess is okay!
    Love the apple tarlets Marie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!