Tuesday 21 July 2009

People are like books . . .



I just love books, and I love cookbooks most of all! (No surprise there!) Whenever I go into a charity shop, the first place I head to, is the shelf full of second hand books, and there is nothing I like to do better than to peruse the shelves of a second-hand bookshop.

The other day I discovered a new shop that I hadn't seen before and it was while I was enjoying going through the books on it's shelves that the thought came to me . . .

Books are just like people.



There are those with attention grabbing covers, which often disappoint upon closer acquaintance . . . and then there are the classics, which no longer surprise, but are always good to meet again . . .

There are those which look very modest, and tend to get lost and tucked behind the others, but when perused can reveal themselves to be real gems in disguise . . .



Then again, there are your old favourites, ones you turn to over and over again . . . comforting, pleasing and oh so very welcoming.

See what I mean???? Books are just like people.



These pictures are some more that I took in that lovely garden made up of old cars and such over in Boulogne. Aren't they sweet? Just goes to show that you can truly create something beautiful out of something that nobody wants anymore.

I called Terri yesterday and she is doing very well, although to be sure she is still in quite a lot of pain. She is on her own now , her daughter having gone back to Holland and the home help have stopped coming as she is really quite independant and likes to do things on her own. I told her that Todd and I would pop over to see her this weekend. She thanks you for your many prayers and thoughts on her behalf.

Most days I get an e-mail from a site I love to peruse, called Simply Recipes. Everything on there always looks so inviting and delicious. It's quite an attractive site. The other day I came across this delicious looking Chicken Curry and I knew immediately that I just had to try it out. I did so yesterday, with the most delicious results. This isn't a really hot curry, but it's a very tasty curry. In fact I think I have found a new favourite and Todd also really enjoyed it. I will make this again. I have adapted it somewhat to our own tastes. We'll have the leftovers today for our lunch and that will be the true test, for a really good curry only gets better with age. To be honest, I could have eaten the chicken out of hand right after it was browned, and did eat a few pieces . . . it was SOME good!! That is a mighty flavourful combination!



*Basil Chicken in Coconut Sauce*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

If you are not fond of really spicy curries, this one fits the bill. It's really flavourful, without being too over the top. We both really enjoyed this. Adapted from a recipe I found on Simply Recipes. Don't let the long list of ingredients put you off. It's well worth the effort!

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground tumeric

16 ounces, boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (trimmed of as much fat as possible and cut into 1 inch chunks)

1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced (I used fresh garlic and only used 4 cloves. Fresh garlic is a lot milder)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (I did not have these, but used a small tin of roasted green chilies instead)
2 TBS flavourless oil
(such as safflower, or grapeseed)
1 (14 oz) tin of coconut milk
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
3 TBS fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (rolled up and thinly sliced)
1 TBS finely chopped fresh ginger-root



Place the salt, ground coriander, cumin, cloves, cardamom, pepper, chili powder and tumeric in a bowl. Mix together well. Add the chicken pieces and turn them until they are well coated with the spices. Set aside for 30 minutes, or cover and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.

Heat 1 TBS of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the onions and chilies and cook for 3 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for one minute longer, until quite fragrant. Remove the cooked vegetables from the pan to a bowl and set aside.

Add the other TBS of the oil to the same pan and heat. Add the chicken pieces, only adding as many as it takes to cover the bottom of the pan with a space between each one. Brown well on each side and then remove to another bowl, once the chicken is cooked through. Repeat until you have browned all the chicken and no pink remains.

Add 3/4 of the tin of coconut milk to the pan. Whisk the cornflour into the remaining coconut milk in the tin, stirring to dissolve. Pour this into the coconut milk in the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick and bubbly. Whisk in the worcestersauce. Add the chicken, cooked onion mixture, basil and ginger. Cook for several minutes more to heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Delicious served with freshly steamed white rice.



And if you are in the mood for dessert, why not hop over to The English Kitchen and see what's cooking over there!

Tune in tomorrow for my What I Did On My Summer Holiday's post!


12 comments:

  1. ooo basil chicken in coconut - sounds yum! I like your comparison with books to people - very true and insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cami was fascinated by the photos. What a charming garden full of "trashed" treasures.

    Books as people is such a great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gardens Marie I loved the pictures.I don't like curry so I will settle for the desert link He-He.Have a lovely day it is pouring down in my region.Take Care God Bless Kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Marie! LOVE the fun, quirky photos with this lovely post today! So glad Terri is doing ok...hope she stays on the mend. Terrific recipe today too, and can't wait to go over to your English Kitchen for dessert! And so look forward to your holidays post...wee-hoo! Happy Day, sweet friend--LOVE YOU! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nice thing about all the pictures we take is that we can relive our holidays over and over. Memories sometimes fade but seeing the pictures makes it all come alive again. I'll be looking forward to your post about what you did do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so so right about people and books! i wonder what kind of a book i am? hmmmm....i think i'm a classic:) hahaha. or a joke book.

    that dessert looks so good-i need to hop over to your other blog and check it out! btw, we made your pancakes the other day(anthony's favourite:) and LOVED them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are like books! And also like flowers. Each beautiful and unique in their own way. Lvoe the photos of the auto garden. How artistic and fun is that? True lawn ornaments unlike the old junkers people have in their side yards across America!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who knew old contraptions could look so pretty??!!

    I just ♥ both of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures Marie.I just love books too dear , always Im buying books...if I have money, I love books.
    And I think as you, really teh books are as people!


    Hav a nic etime dear , kisses and huggs to you and Todd!! xoxoxoxoGloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. I have to say that I enjoy your blog. I love coming to read your entries. I do love to read books. My favorite place is Barnes and Noble. I love to read books during the day and at night. I think you are right that people are like books. I just don't know what kind of book I would be.

    Thanks for sharing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your analogy it's perfect. Some books are like life in general as well or life experiences I should say are like books. It's like once you've read it put it in your library for reference just in case you need it but if it was a bad thing it stays on the shelf not necessarily to be reread but as a reminder. I soooo love these pics if I had a yard as big I would love to do this kind of thing. I have a small spot in an antique mall and there was an old frame of a box spring mattress just the springs and I told Joe I want to get that and put it in my back yard and plant pretty wild flowers thoughout and we'll call it our "spring garden" he just looked at me and was like Ok dear whatever you want, needless to say we didn't get it :( but I still have plans someday.............

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful trip, Marie! Love the pics! I sure wish I could have snuck along w/ you in your purse! I would have found a way to get rid of Mr. Smelly!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!