Thursday 20 August 2009

A cracked Pot . . .




"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves."
~Sir James Barnei

We have quite a few terra cotta pots on our back terrace holding a variety of plants. Some of them are new, but many are old and cracked. They hold a multitude of plants . . . geraniums, herbs . . . potatoes, beans and a few other vegetables.

The other day I noticed that one of them was not just cracked, but that a whole large chunk had fallen right out of the side. Surprisingly the plant inside was not bothered. The soil was still held in place and the plant was still flourishing and alive, even though there was not a lot seemingly there to hold it all together. It seemed that as long as the soil was intact . . . then the plant was quite alright.



And then this thought occurred to me . . .

We are a lot like those terra cotta pots. Some of us are quite perfect in appearance, smooth surfaced and pristine . . . whilst others are cracked, our bodies not quite as fit as we would like them to be, or completely well . . . Even so we are still capable of making much out of our lives, and giving love and encouragement to others in need of it, despite our own incapacity's. In doing so, in dispensing the healing touch . . . we can do much towards making ourselves whole in the process . . .

"Help thy brother's boat across, and lo . . . Thy own has reached the shore."
~Hindu Proverb



I had some chicken that I desperately needed to use up yesterday. The date was running out and there was no room for it in the freezer. What to do, what to do . . . I quickly cut it into pieces so that I could roast it in a short period of time. Glazed with a spicy honey glaze, it was most delicious.



*Finger Licking Honey Glazed Chicken*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

I love that with just a few simple ingredients you can end up with chicken so delicious that you will soon find this on your top list of family requests! You can do just breasts, in which case you will need to cut the baking time down a bit. Wings are really good done this way. Plain and simple, this is a winner!

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper

1 chicken, cut up into pieces, or 3 pounds of chicken wings, drumsticks or breasts
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup runny honey
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 TBS dark soy sauce
2 tsp curry powder



Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Pour half of the melted butter into a 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Dust the chicken pieces all over with the salt, pepper and cayenne. Place them skin side down into the melted butter and place in the heated oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the pieces over. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.

Mix together the remaining butter, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, soy sauce and curry powder. Take the chicken out of the oven and pour this mixture over the chicken pieces. Return them to the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes longer. basting and turning them occasionally, until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear. Delicious!



What could be better on the side, than a delicious salad with crisp lettuce, fresh garden tomatoes and a tasty Basil Dressing. Check it all out on The English Kitchen.


15 comments:

  1. LOL....Marie, I read the title of your entry and thought "A crackpot? Who's a crackpot?!" *pause* "Ohhhhhh.....a crackED pot!"

    Hee hee....

    Those tomatoes look delicious...what a vibrant red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marie,
    Your chicken looks delicious. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to give me and my sister yesterdays, chicken salad recipe for our tea tonight. Now I've seen this..............!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe:>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really delicious. Roasted chicken is one of my favorite. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your weekend is a good one.The chicken looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha...love the cracked pot analogies, Marie--great post! I'm a cracked pot too...lines happening, stuffing falling out, but a perky hair-do on top--LOL! Hubby would love your chicken today...Can't wait to nip over to your Kitchen to see that salad! Sorry not to have been around for a chat this week... With my shop closing and sale, it's been crazy this week. Hubby has also had a crazy work week and odd hours... We can't wait for the weekend! Happy Day, dear friend. LOVE YOU HEAPS ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chicken looks delicious! Thanks for the idea!~Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, a cracked pot...that is what is happening to me. Good one! I hope you have a great day, Marie! I have to hurry and get my bedroom curtains down and get things organized for our window installer today. Today and tomorrow should finish all of our windows...then one more door and we'll be moving on to the painting of the exterior. Saving all this updating to one year is not the smartest thing but at least it is getting done fairly quickly! Then when Jim is ready to quit work...we will be ready to move!

    Sending you some hugs!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaahhh I loved this post.
    That chicken looks delicious & I'm vegetarian, lol!!!
    love
    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO late... but Happy Birthday! I hope you had a super great day! You deserve the very best!

    Have you heard the legend of the cracked pot? I am going to e-mail it to you... it's one of my favorites!

    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi MArie
    I like your thoughts about the cracked pots. It's so true.
    I made your grilled sausage with rustic potato mash recipe tonight and my husband loved it (although he picked out all the onions!)
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't you come to my house and cook for me every day. Wouldn't you want to do that. har har

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your analogy. Funny as I was reading the story about the cracked pot I began to analyze it in my head and then you put it so eloquently on paper (or at least in cyber space) love Love LOVED it. Take care sweet friend missing your sweet self and hoping your feeling good these days.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!