Wednesday 12 August 2009

It was only a cup of water . . .



From the pen of an unknown poet come these thoughtful words . . .

It was only a cup of water with a gentle grace
bestowed,
But it cheered the lonely traveller upon life's dusty
road.
None noticed the cup of water as a beautiful act of
love,
Save the angels keeping the records, away in the
land above.
The trifles in secret given, the prayer in the quiet night,
And the little unnoticed nothings are great in our
Saviour's sight!

What a gentle reminder that it's quite often the little things that count most in life and that make the most impression.



I had a really bad night last night. You know how it goes . . . you are dead tired and yet you cannot seem to fall asleep. Thankfully nights like that are few and far between. It's probably my own fault for trying to cram as much as I could into the evening that pre-ceeded bed time.

I have a friend with a very sick husband and so, I wanted to make a pot of soup for Todd to take over to them today, and then, while I was at it, I decided that a nice fresh loaf of bread probably would go quite well with the soup, and so I got a nice whole wheat loaf started in the breadmaker. Then, of course, I decided that a little dessert would be nice as well. Combine that with putting in some time on a cross trainer over at the gym, and taking Jess for a walk, not to mention watching some telly to try and wind down . . . and it was probably just too much action for this old gal that is used to spending her evenings quietly nestled into the couch next to Todd.



Oh well, there's one good thing about it . . . I am sure to sleep really well tonight!

I just love Samosas. My first experience with them was when my eldest son introduced me to them one Saturday morning at the Fredericton outdoor market, back home in Canada. It was love at first bite for me. I loved their warm spiciness and flavour. My son loved them too, and I often would show up at his door of an afternoon, with a small bag of them in tow. I'd ring his apartment bell and when his voice came over the intercom, I'd sing out the words . . . "Speedy Samosa Delivery!" He'd always let me in!



As delicious as those market ones were, they cannot compare to the delicious flavours of these tasty homemade ones. Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to pop over to my son's today for a speedy samosa delivery . . .



*Vegetable Samosas*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

Delicious little appetizers with Indian flavours. These are quite simple to make, and so much tastier than any you can buy.

For the filling:
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp ground coriander
pinch ground tumeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
8 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
3 1/2 ounces frozen peas, thawed
5 1/2 ounces spinach, chopped

For the Pastry:
12 sheets filo pastry
oil, for deep frying



To make the filling, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and saute, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, until softened. Stir in all of the spices and the garlic. Cook for 1 minutes longer. Add the potatoes and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Stir in the peas and spinach and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes.

Lay one filo pastry sheet out on a clean work surface and fold in half lengthways. (Keep the remainder covered until you are ready to use it.) Place 2 TBS of the vegetable filling at one end of each folded pastry sheet. Fold over one corner to make a triangle. Continue folding in this way to make a triangular package and seal the edges with water. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling until you have them all done.

Heat som eoil for deep frying to 180*C/350*F, or until a cube of bread browns in the hot fat in 30 seconds. Fry the samosas in batches for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on absorbant paper and keep warm whil cooking the remainder. Serve hot.



If you're in the mood for a simple, yet very tasty dessert, why not check out The English Kitchen to see what's been cooking there . . . a tasty Eve's Pudding. Scrumdiddlyumpitious!!


18 comments:

  1. Hmm love samosas! An indian friend used to bring them into work with some tamarind to dip them into - lush! You are so good - making soup! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Sri Lankan neighbour introduced me to these little delights long ago. I miss her so much but am grateful for the foods she intoduced into my life.

    I wish you a love filled day and hope that you sleep sweetly tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your days goes better than the night did and maybe you get to bed a little early tonight. It's nice to help a firend in need, but no use getting ill over it yourself. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful flowers Marie! And the samosas look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum and yum on your food today. I don't know how you come up with different, appetizing food every day. I hope you get some good rest tonight. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just hate it when you over do it and then have a sleepless night. That happened to me last week after we worked at that big conference for the YSAs for 15 hours. I am still catching my breath from that experience last Saturday.

    Stop over a little later to see how to do the strike outs on your blog. As soon asI finish catching up on a few blogs I am going to write that one!

    ♥ you!

    Bon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you will be sleeping better, my friend... You do so much and work so hard, rest is good. :o) You are sweet to help your friend... LOVE the floral delight here. And LOVE the samosas too...they are such goodies. I like that your recipe is for veggie samosas. ;o) I want to make some this weekend. Happy Day--LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samosas are one of my favorite things to eat. I have been wanting to make them for quite a while. Your recipe look fantastic.
    I love the pictures of all the flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your somosas look fantastic! I really need to try my hand at these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard that watching television does not really help one "wind down" as it stimulates without giving an outlet for the stimulated brain or body. So it could add to the feeling of being too tired to sleep. Good luck tonight!
    Thanks so much for the samosas recipe. I love them and will now have hopes of making them in my own kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of samosas but it sounds like they would be delicious. I would love to try them.

    I enjoyed talking with you yesterday. I hope that you will rest better tonight.

    We are having a cruise reunion pot luck here this evening and I'd better get busy.
    I'm sending love as usual. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate nights like that and I have far too many of them. Blessings to your fiends sick husband. I'll keep him in my prayers. And, I've never heard of samosas but I can't wait to try them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whatever is a cross trainer when it's at home? Sounds like an instrument of torture to me, or an irate instructor!

    Samosas are very more-ish. I couldn't be trusted to just have one so I'm off to the Kitchen to see what's for pud!

    love, Angie, xx

    p.s. I prescribe a dose of "War and Peace" for insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photos of the flowers are GORGEOUS! Are they from your garden? Very beautiful.

    Sweet dreams (hopefully!) tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those samosas look really good, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for following my blog!! i love all the food posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm, those look so good Marie. I love that you have so many different kinds of food that you make. You are amazing.

    Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a wonderful day today!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Marieee... happy birthday to you.

    May the good Lord bless you, may the good Lord bless you, may the good Lord bless Marieeee... may the good Lord bless you!

    Happy Birthday Marie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!