Wednesday 30 September 2009

Today is the best day of your life . . .



Once upon a time, not so far away, a primary teacher stopped to speak to one of his students who was standing all by himself in the playground during break time, looking very forlorn and dejected.

"Michael," he asked, "Why is today the best day of your life?"

Michael looked at him with a puzzled face. "I don't know sir," was his reply. "It doesn't feel like it."



His teacher smiled down at him. "But, I am right, Michael," he said. "Just think about it. You have never been taller than you are today. You have never been stronger than you are today. You have never been wiser than you are today. Today is the best day of your life. Congratulations!"

Michael looked up at him with a huge grin on his face, and then ran off to join his companions. He suddenly felt taller, stronger and wiser, which felt very . . . very . . . good!



Today is the best day of each of our lives, as is each day that passes. With each new day comes new opportunites and blessings . . . the opportunity to grow and to learn and a day filled with promise. Each day is yours to do with what you will. Will you make it worth the time . . . or will you squander it away . . . the choice is yours to make. It can be the worst day . . . or it can be the best day. It's all up to you!

I just love potatoes. For me, they are one of the ultimate comfort foods. I have never been able to do well on a low carb diet, because I adore them so much. They are my favourite vegetable and when you combine them with cheese, onion, cream . . . well, you'll see . . . this is peasant food from France, and oh so very delicious!



*Tartiflette*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Mmm . . . potatoes, onions, mushrooms, creamy cheese and bacon. What more could you want?

7 ounces of proscuitto, in one piece
2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise, and then cut into
1/2 inch wide half moons
1 cooking onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 ounces dry white wine
9 ounces creme fraiche
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
500g of Reblochon, rind removed
salt and black pepper



Pre-heat the oven to 240*C/475*F. Cut the proscuitto into 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch strips. Place into a large skillet and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or so, until the fat has melted away from the meat. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the potato and onion to the pan drippings. Increase the heat to medium high and cool for about 5 minutes or so, until the onions have softened. Add the thyme and the mushrooms. Cook, stirring until the mushrooms are wilted. Add the wine, increasing the heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook for a minute, then remove from the heat. Stir in the creme fraiche and garlic. Mix well. Add the proscuitto and season to taste with some salt and pepper. Pour into a buttered shallow casserole dish. Dice the cheese and scatter it over the top. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 190*C/375*F and cook for a further 30 minutes until the potato is tender. This goes wonderfully with a tossed green salad.

Note* If you can't find Reblochon, you can use Taleggio, Fontina, Vacherin or a firm Brie cheese.



And for even more comfort, looking from the sweet side of things . . . there's a mighty tasty rice pudding on show at The English Kitchen. mmm . . . mmm . . . good.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story, Marie! You always find the best stories to share! :o) I always think on waking, that this is my day, the one day I have, who knows about tomorrow, so I better take care of this one the best I can, be the best I can. It is a reassuring thing about to begin the day with such thoughts. And to end such a good day with comfort food. Your potato dish today is perfect for autumn...mmm...delicious! Happy Day, my dear friend. :o) LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story. I'm going to need to use that on my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Thank you Thank you

    I made Tartiflette a couple of times, but your recipe ingredients appeal much more.

    Reblochon is sold in Waitrose both on the cheese counter and on shelves, very pricey. Also Tesco large stores sometimes sell it.sell in in the cheese aisles its a Tesco finest range wrapper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that this is the best day. All the days in the past are gone and over with and we don't know about the future so today is what we have and it is up to us how we feel about it and what we do too. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, what a great lesson the primary teacher gave the little boy. sometimes it is so easy to forget that each new day brings new possibilities.

    I too love potatoes in just about every variety. I am sad that they are so high on the glycemic index. But on the rare occasions I do eat them they are thoroughly enjoyed!

    I hope you are getting more sleep now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to ask what "Reblochon" is but I needn't bother now! It even sounds expensive so Brie will have to do. Isn't Waitrose spelled P-R-I-C-E-Y?

    FOUR MORE SLEEPS!!!!!!!!!!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and my mouth is watering over those potatoes.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for sharing such a great and wise story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After Austin left today I was able to get some house work done, made a big pot of soup, go to Curves and did light exercise, swept the front walk , had a meeting to get me started with my new calling of day time relief society leader and caught up reading your last 3 posts..... I would say that it was a good day...It is so nice to be able to be up and feel like working again.... that is why I can vote for this being a best day.

    What a good idea you share with us in this post. Of course you always do.

    How are you feeling? I hope that you were able to get some rest and catch up after your 22 hour working day last Monday. I so hate that you have to do that.

    I enjoyed talking to you yesterday. I always love hearing your voice. I am so glad that my new vonage phone service allows me to call. I hate it when my schedule takes me away from home Tues. morning and I can't call. Talking to you is always a high light of my week.
    I love your angel bear...too cute!

    I also enjoyed reading your "Bill" story post.

    I send love to you my friend. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the note you found. We all should stop to count the blessings in our life. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!