Monday 15 February 2010

The Simple Woman's Day book



FOR TODAY, February 15th, 2010...

Outside My Window...

All is dark and quiet, but I know the silence will soon be broken by the birds waking up. I love the early morning. It is my quiet time, my thinking time, my praying time . . . a time when I can be alone with just my thoughts. I think everyone needs a quiet time, don't you?

I am thinking...
About how good it was to finally be back to church yesterday and to see all my friends. It was so good to be able to partake of the sacrament and to sing the hymns and to listen to the talks that had been prepared, to just be where I wanted to be. The Gospel is such a beautiful thing and a wonderful anchor in my life. I know that whenever everything else seems to be in chaos and tipped upside down . . . the Gospel and my Heavenly Father are immoveable and I can always trust in them.

I am thankful for...
I am so very thankful that I was born in a time where communication with loved ones afar is instantaneous. I don't know how the pioneers ever did it living so far away from their families. I love that I can just pick up the telephone, or open my e-mail and then I can send or receive a message from them instantaneously. It makes living so far apart much easier to bear.

From the kitchen...
There's some delicious looking squares that I am going to share with you soon, but I didn't get a whole lot of baking done yesterday. It was Valentines day and I was busy being treated like a Queen!

I am wearing...
I am wearing my pink pajamas. Cosy and warm. Slippers and robe too. In the warmer months I never wear my robe, but in the winter, I don't know how I would get along without it!


I am creating...



I have two more dolls near completion. Their faces are all embroidered and dresses sewn. All I need to do now is to finish the painting on them and do the hair. I've also been working on a special painting project. A lovely paper doll. I can't wait to show her to you, but patience is required just for now! I think you will like her!

I am going...
I have the usual this week . . . a bit of work, a bit of play . . . I have my hypnotherapy tomorrow and then the Chiropodist on Thursday and we have our monthly Scripture study group on Thursday evening. There is no seminary this week as my students are all away for half term. It will be nice to get together with the Scripture Study group as we have not been able to meet since before Christmas!!

I am reading...




The Art of Mending, by Elizabeth Berg

Returning home for a family reunion, Laura Bartone and her brother, Steve, are stunned by their sister’s allegations of shocking behavior on the part of their mother, and must come to terms with the truth and lies within their family.

It begins with the sudden revelation of astonishing secrets . . . secrets that have shaped the personalities and fates of three siblings, and now threaten to tear them apart. In renowned author Elizabeth Berg’s moving new novel, unearthed truths force one seemingly ordinary family to reexamine their disparate lives and to ask themselves: Is it too late to mend the hurts of the past?

I am still reading this book. It's very good. I do love myself some Elizabeth Berg. She's a very good writer!

I am hoping...
Make me a channel of blessing today . . .
I ask again and again when I pray.
Do I turn a deaf ear to the Master's voice
or refuse to hear His directions and choice?
I only know at the end of the day
that I did so little to pay my way.
~Helen Steiner Rice

I surely hope that I can find some small way to be a blessing in another's life today. That is my hope every day . . . to make a difference.

I am hearing...
It is silent in here, save the ticking of the clock and the tap tapping of my fingers on the keyboard. The electric fire is humming away as well . . . it is still cold enough in the mornings that I need to put it on for a short time to take the chill off . . . oh, how I long for the warmer, lighter mornings, but still . . . I know that they cannot be too far off.

Around the house...
All is tickety boo. We had been supposed to have our Sister in Law over for the weekend, but it got cancelled at the last minute. Todd's brother had a cold and so she didn't want to leave him. I would be the same were Todd not feeling well. I think it's good to have the threat of company once in a while, don't you? It makes me really get my things sorted and back into their places!!!

One of my favorite things...
Is writing my weekly daybook. I love the way it helps me to slow down and to reflect on the important things in my life. I am a thinker anyways, so it's not all that hard for me to do, and it is something I really enjoy . . .

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Work, Scripture study, therapy, chiropody, cooking and baking. I expect there will be more than a little play scattered throughout my days as well! Life is like that . . . work and play. There has to be a balance of both.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




In the little wood opposite the light they stood in blackish spreads or sheddings like spots on a snake. The heads are then like thongs and solemn in grain and grape-colour. But in the clough through the light they come in falls of sky-colour washing the brows and slacks of the ground with vein-blue, thickening at the double, vertical themselves and the young grass and brake-fern combed vertical, but the brake struck the upright of all this with winged transomes. It was a lovely sight. - The bluebells in your hand baffle you with their inscape, made to every sense. If you draw your fingers through them they are lodged and struggle with a shock of wet heads; the long stalks rub and click and flatten to a fan on one another like your fingers themselves would when you passed the palms hard across one another, making a brittle rub and jostle like the noise of a hurdle strained by leaning against; then there is the faint honey smell and in the mouth the sweet gum when you bite them.
~Gerard Manley Hopkins, a journal entry for May 9, 1871

Oh, I do love a bluebell wood. This is the picture of some we took at Scotney Castle last year. I am so grateful for photographs of special times spent together . . . with them, spring is never more than a hair's breadth away . . .

And there you have it, my Simple Woman's Day Book for today. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)


Here's a delicious and simple apple dessert to warm the cockles of your heart on this cold winter's day. It's one of Todd's favourites. He is a simple man with simple tastes. He loves me after all, and you can't get much simpler than that! Happy Monday everyone!!




*Swedish Apple Dessert*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

This is a really delicious and simple dessert to make. I like to serve this with Vanilla ice cream or pouring cream, but it tastes really good with hot custard poured over top as well!

10 to 13 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup of sugar (If you use cooking apples you will need more than this as they are really tart)
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 tsp[ cinnamon
1 1/2 cups melted butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly grease a 9 by 12 inch baking dish. Set aside.

Put the apples into a bowl and mix together with the 1/4 cup of sugar, nutmeg and the cinnamon. Once mixed, pour them into the prepared baking dish, smoothing out the top as best as you can.

Mix together the flour, walnuts, 2 cups sugar, melted butter salt and beaten eggs, until smooth. Spoon evenly over top of the apples. Bake in the heated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until nicely browned on top and the apples are bubbling and softened. Serve warm, spooned into bowls with a drizzle of cream or custard, or a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream. Delicious!



If the apple dessert won't do, don't despair, over on The English Kitchen today there's a delicious Queen of Puddings!


12 comments:

  1. Such beautiful thoughts and lovely things to share! Love the photo at Scotney Castle...love those enormous old trees...

    Hope you have a wonderful day today, and am so glad you were spoiled and treated like a Queen for Valentine's Day--you certainly deserve it, my dear friend! Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is bitter cold here this morning and more snow is headed our way later today. I love the early morning too. I did notice it is getting lighter here in the mornings and I did hear some birds this morning as I was coming into the office here. How they can be chirping in this cold is beyond me. Hope your Monday is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marie! So glad you were spoiled at Valentine's Weekend just now! Hope the weekend was filled with much celebration of love and joy! :o) I do love your writing at the start of the week here. It helps me slow down to, to think of the week ahead. Usually Sunday evening I take a little time over a cup of to to write up what to do during the new week ahead--very calming, but energizing too. I'm afraid maybe we missed each other for a chat yesterday, but hope we can catch up during the week! And wishing you a love week ahead, dear friend! Off to look closer again at your delicious puddings for today--thank you! LOVE YOU HEAPS :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious looking dessert! Sort of similar to a cobbler, but the topping looks much more delicious. As always, your post was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marie!

    Loved your SWDB entry. It's so fun to hear what's going on with you for this week! I am so glad you are feeling better! And so happy to hear that you had a wonderful Valentines Day and were treated like a queen - you deserve it!

    I hope you have a great week. Have fun at your scripture class - that is wonderful!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you do all that you do...you do more than me even with a hurt toe! You are amazing, even your post are so full. Love the thoughts and the recipes and since I am swedish, I will have to try this. Have a good day and come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better!

    I am intrigued by this desert. Is it like a cobbler?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, th mornings are getting lighter and so arfe the evenings. Now if it would just stop raining and warm up a bit it would be lovely! I jest, it's February. We wouldn't know what to do with a warm Feb!

    love you,
    Angie, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your heart felt wish is surely fulfilled every day because you do make a difference in our lives.... your thought and words inspire all of us to be better. Youalways touch my life for the better.
    Thank you.

    I am very tired tonight. It was president's holiday today and the kids were out of school. They all 3 spent the night last night and then we went to Knott's Berry Farm all day. We had a great time but we are really tired. We just took Claire and EJ home and now I must get Austin in the bath and to bed.

    I just dropped by to say hello and send you hugs. Love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am glad you were treated like a deserving Queen! And you were able to attend church again. YES! I was praying for you.
    I sure miss it when I can't go!
    Yet here we can attend Sacrament Meeting with one always on tv, each Sunday morning! Then listening to the Spoken Word and hearing other CES and BYU devotionals. We truly are spoiled and I love it! :-)
    But it isn't the same without the bonding and renewing our covenants.
    Your doll looks so sweet. I love all your talents you share with us.
    Enjoy a wonderful and healthy week.
    ~♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you heard anything further from your employer as to the status of your job and/or cottage?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing about your Simple Woman's day. I've enjoyed finding so many lovely blogs by visiting SWDB.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!