Wednesday 10 February 2010

Wednesday Wit and Wisdom . . .



"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
~George Bernard Shaw

Most of the greatest lessons that I have learned in my life have been learned by making mistakes, and let me tell you now . . . I have made some real whoppers!

Lessons like . . .

Any job worth doing is worth doing well. There is no point in cutting corners and rushing through a job to get it done sooner, if, at the end, you have really botched things up in your haste, and have to redo it anyways. You might just as well have done it properly in the first place, which can save you a lot of time and grief.

Read a recipe thoroughly and assemble all the ingredients before you start to cook. I can't tell you how many times through the years that I have gotten something half put together only to realize that I have completely run out of an integral ingredient, or that I should have waited til the end to add something that I added too early . . . Reading a recipe through and making sure you have the necessary ingredients to hand are two very important steps any good cook needs to follow judiciously!



Pretty much anything I know about computers . . . I found out by making mistakes. Thankfully none of them were so horrific that they actually broke my computer, but I have had some very close shaves!!!

You should not compare yourself to the best that other's can do. By doing that . . . you will always find yourself coming up short. Just do the best that you can do all of the time, and nobody can ask anymore from you than that, plus you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you did your very best. Doing anything else only really cheats yourself in the long run.



Credentials on a wall don't make a better person or a more decent human being. There is not much good in having credentials and stacks of degrees, unless they are accompanied with compassion, understanding, forbearance and love.

In order to be a good teacher . . . you have to be teachable yourself. Acting like you know it all doesn't make you any friends and it sure doesn't help anyone to want to listen to you. There is always something valuable to be gained from listening to another's point of view.

It takes years to build up trust, but only seconds to destroy it. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. If you choose always to be honest in your dealings with others . . . and with yourself . . . you can save yourself a lot of grief in life.



Actions always have consequences, and it's always wise to think of them before doing or saying anything. If don't think you can live with all the possible consequences, then you best rethink what you are going to do or say. You know that old saying, "Act in haste, repent in leisure?" Well, it's true!

Just because two people argue, it doesn't mean that they don't love each other. And just because they don't argue, it doesn't mean that they do!! I have known some really successfully married people with wonderful relationships that argue all the time. They seem to thrive on it, and . . . I have known others that never argue, but have pretty empty and meaningless relationships.

Just because someone doesn't love you the way that you want them to love you, it doesn't mean that they don't love you with all that they have to give. Take whatever love you are presented with and embrace it. Know that it comes from the heart, even if it isn't accompanied with hearts and roses. Some of the simplest gestures can be the most loving and enduring.

Your life can change in an instant with a single action or a word that will give you grief for the rest of your life. Choose both carefully, for . . . once they are out there, they cannot be taken back.



It is often easier to forgive others than it is to forgive yourself. It isn't always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself and that can sometimes be the hardest thing of all to do.

It's not what you have in your life, but WHO you have in your life that counts. You could have everything in life that anyone could desire, but . . . if you have nobody to share it with, it is pretty meaningless. Life was meant to be shared.



True heros are the type of people that do what has to be done, when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

No matter how hard you try to protect your children, they will eventually get hurt and you will also be hurt in the process. It's all a part of living. We need the knocks and bruises that life deals out in order to grow. Some of our greatest strengths arise from being challenged and hurt.

You can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes, but after that . . . boys oh boys . . . you had better know something!!! There's no use pretending to be an expert at anything if you really aren't. The truth always outs in the end.



You cannot MAKE someone love you. All you can do for sure, is to be somebody worth loving . . . the rest is up to them.

and, finally . . .

Crying over spilt milk, doesn't get it wiped up!!!

I hope you have enjoyed what I have written this morning. I am sure that you could probably relate to at least some of it!!!

Here's a fun little recipe that kids, old and young alike always seem to love. These go really well with soups or beans, or even chili. They're also very tasty on their own. The recipe makes a lot, but they do freeze rather well, so no worries there!




*Corn Dog Muffins*
Makes about 18
Printable Recipe

One of the most popular things at local country fairs back home are corn dogs. You can buy boxes of frozen ones in the grocery stores also. I think they are called Pogos, but I am not sure if I am remembering correctly. Smokey hotdogs on a stick, dipped in a delicious corn batter and fried. You can get them over here, but I like to think that this is a somewhat healthier take on the same idea. Take note you do have to store them in the refrigerator because they contain meat. These are great snacks or lunch box treats and they are fabulous served with a nice plate of homemade baked beans!

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS soft light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tin (418g) of creamed corn
1/4 cup milk
1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
5 smoked frankfurters, sliced

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Grease three six cup muffin tins well. Set aside.

Whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and brown sugar together in a large bowl. Mix well. Beat the eggs, cream corn and milk together in a large measuring beaker. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients all at once. Stir together only long enough to combine. Fold in the cheese. Divide this mixture evenly amongst the prepared muffin cups. Push pieces of hot dog down into the top of each muffin. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until well risen and nicely browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pans to a wire rack to finish cooling.

I like to serve these warm, but they are equally as good cold. Kids really love these!



Over on The English Kitchen today . . . delicious Cherry and Almond Scones.


16 comments:

  1. This was a lovely,insightful and thought-provoking post.
    Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely posting today Marie,I realy enjoyed reading every word.Also the pictures were delightful.I will be going over for the cherry and almond recipe today,thats for certain Mmm,you are putting a realy sweet taste to my pallette of late,I can see someone gaining weight very quickly, who follows your brilliant blog Heeeeee.Have a lovely Wednesday,I hope you are feeling much better this week.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I can relate to those words of wisdom in your blog today and I love the corn dog muffins idea. It's true corn dogs seem to be a favorite with children. Hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful words of wisdom here today, Marie...much food for thought! And I must go see about your yummy scones... I could go for one of those now! Your corn dog muffins are genial--brilliant! Thank you so much for your lovely email, dear friend. I wasn't feeling well at all yesterday, so missed getting to chat with you. I'm sending you an email now... Hope we get to catch up more soon--the weekend maybe? LOVE YOU HEAPS!! :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful lessons learned and shared--thank-you, dear Marie! Why is forgiving yourself so hard to learn?!

    My family will love those muffins--they look just perfect to go with chili...yum!

    Hope you're feeling better & that you're having a wonderful day! Much love sent to you this rainy California day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely related to many of them! All such words of wisdom. Good reminders too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie!!! What a fabulous post. Love the watercolors and the muffins are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful thoughtful post -- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie,

    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts - it was just what I needed to hear today! Life certainly is what we make of it. Thanks for reminding me of so many important life lessons. My grandchildren will love the muffin recipe, a corn dog in a wrapper!

    Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie, I'd taken a break from reading blogs, so I've got quite a bit of reading to catch up on. But thank you for sharing your wisdom! I'll try to remember all of it, but especially about the spilt milk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie: You always have a way of putting things in perspective! Every point that you made rings true for me. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Kim
    Gerushia's New World

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very meaningful post.I loved going through these pearls of wisdom. I found your blog through Tracy, 'pinkpurl' and am so happy and thankful to her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, lots of great things to think about this evening! i have a lot to work on thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello dear. I love this post. It is just full of truth and wisdom. You are a wonderful writer.

    I just wrote you a comment....and ....for the 2nd time in a week when I tried to post it I only got a message that it could not be published.
    Poof...my comment was gone. Last week I couldn't even get back onto your blog. I hope this one will go through.

    If I can publish this comment you will probably read it Thur. morning. I will be thinking of you. Please send me an email and let me know about your day. I send love. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful bits of wisdom today Marie! Thank you so much. And those corn do muffins are cracking me up! My kids will LOVE those! So funny and cute!

    Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do, I do (like what you have written this morning). Very much so. Wonderful thought-provoking insights.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!