Wednesday 5 May 2010

Wednesday morning ponderings . . .



"I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my spirit will be in your heart, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

Doctrine & Covenants 84:88

I just love the above scripture. This scripture was given in revelation to Joseph Smith in Kirkland, Ohio back in September of 1832. He was speaking to brethern of the church preparing to go out on Missions, and these are some of the words that the Lord had to say to them. What a beautiful promise . . . but these words are not only applicable to men preparing for missions in the early 1800's . . . these words are for us today, and when I read them, my spirit tells me that they are also for me.



They tell me that if I look to the Lord for inspiration . . .for guidance . . . and for help each day, that He will go before me. That He will guard my left and my right . . . that I will have His spirit in my heart to guide me, and that no matter what happens . . . His angels will gather round me and bear me up, to help me get through anything . . . any situation . . . any problem . . . any pothole or seeming barrier I may come up against! What a wonderful promise!!



I was thinking yesterday again about how very blessed I am, despite all the knocks we have experienced over these past few months. I have a special man in my life who loves and cares for me, despite my sometimes irritating ways. I have been given the added blessing of a lovely little home, that, in many ways, is much nicer than the one we had down South. A home that is ours for as long as we want to rent it, and is not encumbent upon my employment. I may have my aches and pains, but, for the most part, I am healthy, having no really serious problems. I have been given many gifts and talents and I enjoy so very much exploring and developing them. I have a family, with wonderful sons and daughters and grandchildren whom I love so very much and whom love me back. I have pretty special friends, both near and far, whom add a glorious sweetness to my life that cannot be measured.



None of us knows what the future holds. It is different for each of us. For some of us there are very good things just ahead, for others . . . maybe not so good . . . but that is life. It is given to each of us in unique and singular ways . . . each life composed of brilliant, outstanding and joyful moments, amidst a measure of pain and sadness. That is how we grow . . . how we develop, how we learn. A baby cannot learn to walk without falling down a few times . . . and if we are ever to be, or to reach our full potential as human beings on this earth, we have got to take a few knocks along the way as well. Just as our children have us to help them when they are taking those stumbling steps . . . to guide and protect them . . . our Heavenly Father is there to help us on this journey through life . . . We only have to reach out to Him and take His hand along the way.

Just my thoughts today.



I had so much fun sewing over the past couple of days. I made a little Teddy Bear, something that I have not done in years. I used to make quite a few of them.



Meet Miss Mimsey Bear! I think she is quite sweet. I shall be putting her in my Etsy shop a bit later on this morning.

I love green beans. Actually I love most vegetables. My mom never had any problems getting me to eat them when I was a child, well except for tinned peas that is. We found a cricket in a tin of them one time and I never liked them at all after that. I don't mind frozen or fresh peas though. Green beans I could eat every day . . . fresh, tinned, frozen . . . it doesn't really matter which! We have some planted in our garden and I can't wait til we get to eat them!



*Green Beans Almondine*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This probably isn't an authentic way of making Green Beans Almondine, but it is my way of making them! It's quick, easy and quite, quite delicious!

1 pound of green beans, washed and trimmed
2 TBS butter
1 shallot peeled, and minced
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup of flaked and toasted almonds
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Drop in the green beans and bring the water back to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 4 minutes. Drain well, then refresh with cold water to stop them from cooking any further. Drain again. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a large skillet, over medium heat, until it begins to foam. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until it is softened. Do not brown. Toss in the bread crumbs and thyme. Cook and stir until the bread crumbs are golden brown and crisp. Toss in the almonds and green beans. Heat through and stir until the beans are quite hot. Season to taste with some salt and pepper and serve immediately.



We're getting completely indulgent today over on The English Kitchen with Bakewell Whoopie Pies! I spent most of the day yesterday developing this recipe and am quite proud of the results! They are fabulous!!! Todd says that they are the best cake he has ever eaten in his life!



11 comments:

  1. Good morning, Marie. That scripture has been very important to me at various times. The promise of protection -- of angel preparation -- is comforting & faith promoting.

    Where are you living now? Are you closer to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie. I love your messages. I have also learned what a whoopie pie looks like. Unlike you I am not fond of beans but I do love beans almondine and I have not prepared them in the longest time. Around here raw beans are the preference and there are water glasses filled with them at most meals.

    Take care and enjoy your day.

    I love Millie Bear by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I love the way you are always striving for an abundant mentality. We had a lesson on this on Sunday and it was so amazing. You are such an example of someone who looks for the good in every situation and I just love that about you.

    One of the things we do to keep that attitude is looking for the Lord's hand in our lives and an extra measure of His help when the things of the world and temporal life and relationships pull us down or heap on the discouragement.

    We look for His hand in things to elevate us on every level. I think of Greg Olsen's painting of the Savior sitting on the rock, leaning down, stretching out his hand to the little girl in the stream and pulling her up, pulling her closer to Him and pulling her to the safety of knowing He is in charge.

    I just wanted to tell you I love you today! I think I want to use this comment as the basis for a post in the next few days. I have met so many really special people online that really know how to help the Savior in His work to lift others~ and to build His kingdom. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful thoughts, Marie--you have such a thankful heart--so important in this life! Thanks for the reminder to be grateful...no matter what life holds for us!

    Hope you're enjoying your day, my friend...do something beautiful today! Much love sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Mimsey Bear... Oh, how sweet she is, Marie! You did such a wonderful job creating here. And love her summery dress! She'll sell fast, I'm sure! ;o) Beautiful thoughts for today too... At the moment I'm in a very contemplative place, seeking inspiration from many sources, and just being quiet, listening... So sorry not to have send you a mail yet this week, as I tend to do. I've been having such trouble with Hotmail...gggrrr... LOL! Hope very much we get to chat before we go away--6 day now... HOORAY! Fresh green beans--one of my faves. Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU HEAPS!! OXOXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your thoughts are good ones for a wonderful Wednesday. We never know just what a day will bright us, but I know that I am enjoying this one so far. It's noon and I just had my breakfast. I had to take care of that little grandson first. He's all bathed bottled and sleeping right now so I get a little rest. Oh I am not as young as I once was and don't move as fast as I did but we get it done and that is a blessing. I hope your day is a blessed one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw a snippet of the scripture on my blog of your post today, I knew I had to visit again:) I love the message and comfort this beautiful scripture offers us. Life is hard! For so many in so many ways. Loved ones and friends are facing such challenges right now and this scripture comforted and calmed my soul...again!
    I loved your message and gorgeous pictures. The cake looks devine and a must try!
    Enjoy a lovely day/evening and know how many lives you touch for good through your talents of sharing your beautiful thoughts.
    ~♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, I am so very glad to see you settling down and getting balanced again. You went through such a major upheaval and you were bound to have your doubts and concerns. You are back to your "old" (you know what I mean!) self now. Bless! Welcome home, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Miss Mimsey - gorgeous! Whenever there's a bear on Antiques Roadshow the expert always says its value depends on it having a wonderful facial expression. Mimsey must be priceless!

    Know what I like about your recipes? They're REAL - real food, for real life. I don't think I've ever known you to publish one that just about anybody couldn't do. And your Chief Tester hardly has to be force-fed does he! s Todd any good at cooking? I know he doesn't have to be but could he, if push came to shove?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marie,
    Just stopping in to check on you. :)
    So glad to hear your blood pressure is back to normal!
    And, mmmm, me too with the green beans.
    And for some reason, I just love picking them. I'm always the first one out to my dad's garden with basket in hand to see if they're ready. :)

    happy thursday!
    xo
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww, what a cute bear!!! love her!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!