Saturday 8 May 2010

What is a mother?



A mother is a wonderfully constructed creature, created almost entirely of love, with which she can express in countless ways from kisses and hugs, and cookies and a listening ear . . . to stern admonishments, strict rules and wide and varied use of the word "no."


(My Great Great Grandmother Ida McNayr Smith)

No two mothers are alike . . . somewhat like snowflakes, each one an individual unique to the situation and family . . . but they do have a number of things in common. Take anything . . . and a mother can be found washing it, roasting it, polishing it, getting rid of it, repairing it, spanking it, packing it, teaching it, redecorating it, loving it . . . or talking it over at the monthly PTA meetings!


(My daughter in law Kayla, with my grandson Jon)

Mother's care about almost everything. Gardens, pets, the state of the nation, worn spots on carpets and knees on pants, hungry people, dirty houses, dirty faces . . . but most of all children and their fathers. For those she would do anything and everything . . . dare anything . . . fight to the end . . . just to secure and protect their well being and happiness.


(Todd with his grandmother)

Mother's aren't always angels. They can often disagree with you, expect too much from you, criticize your choice of friends, and they often expect you to work when all you want to do is lay around. But . . . like the Ever-ready Bunny, she always ready to help you when you need her and can keep going, and going . . . and going.


(My daughter in law Anne, with my grandson Gabriel)

Mother's often aren't told how much they are loved, or how much they are wished all the best in the world . . . not because children and husbands don't care . . . but because there are sometimes not enough words or the right words to express those special feelings that are so deep and sincere, but somehow . . . you know she understands what is in your heart . . . coz . . .


(Me with my two daughters)

Mother's always do.


(Me with my, from left to right, Aunt Freda, Mother, and Great Grandmother Henrietta Smith Best)

"The true strength that is America's, the true strength of any nation, lies in those qualities of character that have been acquired for the most part by children taught in the quiet, simple, everyday manner of mothers. What Jean Paul Richter once declared of fathers is even more true of mothers . . . and I paraphrase it just a little to make a point . . ."What a mother says to her children is not heard by the world, but it will be heard by posterity.""
~Gordon B Hinckley

I wish to each of you a beautiful day tomorrow, filled to overflowing with love and with happiness. Happy Mother's Day.

Here's a quick and tasty supper dish that is very simple to make, but tastes gorgeous. It makes good use of stale bread as well. It's also quite adaptable. You can make any kind of sandwich really . . . a cheese and tomato, cheese and onion, ham and cheese, tuna and cheese, cheese and bacon . . . use your imagination and your larder to see what you can come up with. It's a great basic recipe that can be a wonderful canvas to create something that is uniquely yours on!




*Chutney Cheese Sandwich Casserole*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Crispy and golden on the outside, meltingly tender inside and stogged full of delicious cheese and chutney. Easy, simple and very tasty!

12 slices of bread, crusts removed
6 thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese, trimmed to fit on top of
the bread
6 TBS mango chutney (can use any chutney you prefer, as long as it
is well flavoured)
2 large eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 heaped TBS grainy mustard



Butter a large baking dish very well. You will want one large enough to hold six slices of bread snugly, but comfortably. Spread six of the slices of bread with a TBS of chutney and lay them down, chutney side up in the baking dish. Top with the sliced cheese and then the final six slices of bread. Beat the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard together. Pour this mixtue evenly over top of the bread, pressing down with a fork a bit, to help it to begin to absorb. Let sit for half an hour.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark 4. Bake the casserole until partially dried and golden brown on top, about 50 minutes to one hour. Serve hot with a salad for a delicious supper.

Note: Sliced boiled ham is also delicious in this. Just lay six slices of boiled ham over the chutney before you add the cheese.



Over on The English Kitchen today, Rhubarb and Custard Muffins, just in time for Mother's Day!


10 comments:

  1. Marie I wish you the happiest of days for Mothers' Day. You deserve the two.

    This week my mother and I went trolling through a second hand shop and we managed to find her some treasures for her day. As a unique twist they bought me a "Daughters' Day" gift of an aquamarine cross. I am so humbled.

    To all the mums I wish you a wonderful day. I am sure that many of us will choke down dry toast and well meant brews of dubious origins but it is all part of the fun. May you feel loved and honoured too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you've sent this whole entry to your mum, she'd love it I'm sure. It's mum's in a nutshell. I love that picture of you with your girls.

    something else I'm going to love: that fantabulous cheesy bread and butter pudding!

    Have a lovely Mothers' Day tomorrow. Will you get to speak with your mum? Happy Day to her too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MArie
    What a wonderful tribute to the mothers in your life. I know it's not mothers day in England, but I wish you a happy mothers day too!
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my mother all the time but especially this time of the year. I'm wishing you a wonderful day Marie. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mothers Day to you! I have loved being a mom and am so thankful that I've had the pleasure of 7 wonderful babes. The nice thing too is now I'm a grand'ma' too. The JOY just keeps coming. It was wonderful looking at your pictures today and seeing the generations of MOMS in your family. That cheese sandwich dish looks good too. I'll have to try that out for sure. Have a great Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful family photos, Marie! We both have Smiths! That's my maiden name...

    Beautiful thoughts on motherhood, as well--all so true!

    Love that wonderful casserole--another one I'll be trying soon! You always inspire me, my friend!

    Thanks again for the sweet and thoughtful Anniversary card--you're so dear!

    Much love sent to you today--and Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Marie--Happy Mother's Day weekend! Just loved seeing all your family photos--and Todd's too! :o) I just talked to my Momma on the phone... I will travel in 3 days to see her--can't wait, have missed her lots! I would have liked to have been a mum to a little one, watch he/she grow up... But I am mum to our cat-boy Charlie, so a fur-baby at least... LOL! Have a sweet weekend, my friend. So looking forward to chatting with you tomorrow. LOVE this fun casserole today. :o) LOVE YOU HEAPS!! OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those muffins look like pure Heaven to me...YUM! I loved your post today..the pictures and all the thoughts and quotes. I loved the one that said your influence will be felt in the generations to come! You have a great day on Sunday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mothers Day Marie... I loved this post and the old pics. of your family as well as Todd....so sweet. You must be adored...If you were my Mother I truly would adore you...Hugs dear Friend, Mica

    ReplyDelete
  10. ABsolutely beauty post dear Marie!!
    Love your pics! Say Todd I love his pictures, he was sooo cute (still is) he,he, lovely boy and your grandson was beautiful, lovely!
    Have a happy Mom's day!! You are a wonderful and lovely Mom!! cheers by this! xxxxxx gloria

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!