Friday 4 June 2010

Friday thoughts . . .



As I cleaned up after supper last night, I went to put a pan out in our shed. Because the kitchen in our new place is much smaller than I had before, many of my baking pans etc. are stored out in the shed. It is a bit of a pain to have to go back and forth like that, and never more so when it is raining . . . but I am grateful that I have a shed that I can put them in . . . it would have been much worse had I not!!

Anyways, as I went to put this pan into the shed, I was startled by a young female blackbird that had gotten itself into the shed, and that was flying back and forth inside. It was visibly distressed, and could not seem to find it's way out, even thoughthe open doorway and freedom was only a few feet away. I went outside so as not to distress it further, leaving the door even wider open. It sat on top of the tins that are in the shed on shelves that line the walls . . . and every 30 seconds or so it would loudly chirp . . . as if to say help!! Then it would fly to the other side of the shed, behind the open doorway, and chirp some more. Back and forth it went, every few minutes or so.



After watching it for about 10 minutes, I went in and got Todd. I thought that perhaps he could cajole it out. He went into the shed and tried talking to the bird, and waving it in the direction of the doorway. This went on for a good 10 more minutes, before he gave up and came out. Thankfully about 5 minutes later the bird flew out on it's own!! Whew!! I was so distressed at the thought of this poor bird sitting in there forever . . . trapped, with freedom only a few feet away. I knew that if it didn't find it's way out eventually, it would surely die . . .

It struck me afterwards, that this little bird was like so many people here in this world. Many are trapped in a shed of their our own making . . . a cage composed of sin, poor decisions, worldly lifestyles . . . ‘having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof’ (2 Tim. 3:5) lost, and lacking in guidance or the power that comes from the sure footedness that can come only through following the guidance of our Heavenly Father and following the ways of the Saviour . . .



The way out is there . . . just a few feet away. He has shown us the way to true happiness and joy . . . the way to be released from the traps and chains that bind us. To stay trapped in a wordly lifestyle and sin surely means spiritual death and much unhappiness in the long term . . .

I am glad that the bird was able to finally find it's way out of the shed. I like to think that it was because Todd showed it the way . . . and once it was able to overcome it's fear, it decided to follow Todd's way and gained it's freedom and life . . . by doing so.



Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. ~Revelation3:20

It is by opening the doorway of our hearts to the Saviour and by following Him that we truly become free. I wish that all of God's children could see that . . .



I had some chicken wings that I wanted to cook yesterday. So naughty, but so very tasty. Back home I just love the chinese chicken wings at the local Chinese Buffet Restaurant. I can't get enough of them . . . in fact I could eat a plate of just those and nothing else . . . but restrain myself as I don't want anyone to think I am nuts! I wish I could find a recipe that I could use to make them at home . . . anyways, yesterday I did them in a Japanese style Teriaki sauce. They were very good too!




*Japanese Chicken Wings*
serves 3 to 4 as an appetizer, or 2 as a main
Printable Recipe

My version of a delicious teriaki flavoured chicken wing. Finger licking good.

800g chicken wings
(about a pound and a half)
2 TBS dark soft brown sugar
100ml of dark soy sauce
(1/4 cup)
2 TBS white wine vinegar
1 2-inch piece of fresh gingerroot, scraped and grated
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 TBS sesame oil



Remove the wing tips from your chicken wings and either discard or freeze to make chicken soup at a later date. Cut the wings in half through the joint. Place into a large shallow dish. Whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, gingerroot, black pepper, salt, garlic and sesame oil. Pour this over the chicken wings and massage it in and turn them around in it to coat. Cover the dish and allow them to marinate on the countertop for about half an hour, or up to two hours in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Lay the chicken wings on a shallow baking tray, spreading them out. Drizzle any excess marinade over top. Bake in the heated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, turning them frequently until scrummily sticky and glazed and the juices run clear.

Serve up with plenty of napkins.



On The English Kitchen today . . . Sour Cherry and Almond Breakfast Buns! Scrummy yummy!!


7 comments:

  1. Very nice Friday post Marie. It is comforting to know that Jesus is always near, encouraging us to choose him and not the "chirping" if the world or ourselves.

    Have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a devastating post Marie. My heart feels broken and ashamed because I am still trapped in the shed of my making. I do get out from time to time but for whatever reason I always go back to my shed prison. Your insights are powerful and true, and I wish it were that straightforward and simple. Thank you for the reminder of what needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but I was glad the bird found her way out of the shed... you had me on the edge of my seat! You bird story makes for a great life analogy--wisely written, Marie. Freedom is just a choice away. :o) Wonderful recipe today...I'm late stopping by today. We're just back from visiting hubby's sister & family and meeting their new baby boy--our new nephew--what a gorgeous little angel his is! Hope you & Toddy have a lovely weekend ahead. Hoping very much we'll get to chat this weekend at last. :o) LOVE YOU HEAPS!! OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being a fan of chicken wings, I'll pass on this recipe. Cracking post though. I suppose to some extent we all have our 'sheds' and isn't it great to have just the very One to show us the way out, though we, fools that we are, will surely go and get ourselves stuck again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad the bird found freedom. Our lives choices and even through those choices of others we can find ourselves in bondage in many different types of sheds. Great analogy and a powerful thought for this Friday. I am so grateful for prayer and the gift of the atonement. We are so blessed.
    Your Chicken wings look yummy...I could eat a plateful too!
    ~♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story and good analogy. I am glad that your bird got free. I wish that all of us could break free of those things that are keeping us caged up and in the dark. We surely do need to look to Jesus more to show us the way. Thank you for sharing this golden bit of truth with us today.
    Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!