Wednesday 9 June 2010

Making a difference . . .




He who governed the world before I was born will take care of it likewise when I am dead. My part is to improve the present moment."
~John Wesley

I like that thought. It's so true. The past we cannot do anything about . . . the future is waiting to unfold, and we cannot control what happens once we leave this veil of tears. The only thing we do have control of is the time that we are here.

We have the here and the now, and it is within our power to make it the best here and now that can be. You might think to yourself . . . how can I possibly make a difference??? I am only one person.



Every single thing you do makes a difference . . . for good or for bad. Huge stone walls did not start off as huge stone walls . . . they began one small stone at a time, and so it is with making changes and differences . . . one small deed at a time can snowball into something huge.

When you drop a tiny pebble into a pool of water . . . it is only a tiny pebble, but the difference it makes to the water radiates out from it's entry in ripples . . . first small at the entry point, and then ever widening as it moves away . . .



And so it is with us, and the things that we do. Never count even the smallest deed as inconsequential. All that we do matters very much, and can make a huge difference to those we touch.

I cannot be everywhere, so I'll do what I can here.
I cannot do everything, so I'll do what I can.
I cannot live forever, so I'll get started right now.

Just my thought for the day. Great oaks from little acorns grow . . .



We have an easy day ahead of us today. Not a lot to do . . . but then again, I do have a house to tidy and dust and clean! That won't take long though, we are not incredibly messy people. I have two dolls that are just about finished. I only need to do the eyes,legs and feet. I think they are so sweet. I think that every time though. I really put my whole heart into these little creations, I really do. I can't wait to show them to you! I may even try to get some painting done today. We shall see. I would like to go for a long walk at some point, before the heavy rain we are promised settles in. The weather has been so very changeable this past few days. Believe it or not that is one of the things I love most about England . . . it's changeable weather!

What do you do when you have a pile of bananas on your counter that looks like they are ready for the bin??? Why, you make a delicious banana cake of course!!



*Crumb Topped Banana Muffin Cake*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

This cake smells heavenly when it is baking. Full of moist banana flavour and topped with a deliciously crunchy topping it is a real family pleaser. The riper and darker the banana, the better the cake!

Cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1/3 cup packed soft light brown sugar
1 TBS plain flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS cold butter
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/gas mark5. Lightly grease and flour a 9 inch spring form pan with removable sides. Set aside. Make the topping by stirring together the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Rub in the cold butter until crumblly and then stir in the chopped nuts. Set aside until needed.

Sift together the flour, soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together the mashed bananas and the sugar, stirring to mix them well together. stir in teh beaten egg, melted butter and the vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the sifted dry ingredients and then fold together carefully, making sure to moisten all the dry ingredients, but taking care not to mix too thoroughly. The mixture should be somewhat lumpy.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan and then sprinkle the reserved topping evenly over top. Place in the heated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until nicely risen and browned and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about ten minutes before removing the sides to allow it to cool completely. It is really lovely served warm with some cold vanilla ice cream or softly whipped cream. If anything it's flavour improves every day upon standing and it gets even moister!

Note - You can add a cup of chocolate chips to the batter if you wish, in which case it becomes Banana Chocolate Chip Cake!!



If a Banana Cake doesn't quite do it for you, check out the Red Fruit Crumble over on
The English Kitchen. This has to be the easiest crumble I have ever made, and one of the tastiest!




Very quickly before I go, I wanted to tell you about a fabulous giveaway being hosted by Ruthie on Sugar Pie Farmhouse. She has written a new e-book, Watermelon and Fireflies, which is just wonderful, and quite affordable. You can read about it here, and have a peek. If you have never visited Ruthies page before, you are in for a real treat! It's delightful!

14 comments:

  1. How did you know that I have bananas sitting on my counter just waiting for this recipe???
    You read my mind because I was just wishing for a new recipe to use them in.
    I hope that you did not get too wet when you went out after I talked to you this morning. I hope that you picked up some good sales for all your efforts. I keep my fingers crossed for you.

    I took 2 more cruise classes today, went to my women's club scholarship luncheon and took care of our little pooh. It is late and I am tired... but I had to stop by a minute and say hello. I imagine you are just getting started on your day. Have a good one dear...even though you mentioned quite a bit of housework.
    Thanks again for the spiritual thought. HUgs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely post, Marie! There are times, especially when so many in this world are suffering, that it's not possible to make a real difference... But any small act is better than no act. And I like to think that once action leads to another, so like a chain...the good keeping the good going. :o) I'm not a big fan of bananas, but must say this cake today looks a treat...mmm... My hubby would love this one, he love bananas. Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS) OXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Marie, I so enjoy your words of wisdom...and your delicious recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous pictures you have posted--I love the shocking blue of the flowers! Love the quotes too!I am on my way out the door--but hope to come back and take a look at the book you refered us too. Have a great day!

    nannykim at spindlecottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think every person is important and we each have different strength and weaknesses. Our differences help make up the wonderful diversity of the world. We each can make a difference when we each try to do our best, help one another and take care of our part of the world. That is what is so wonderful about God's plan. It is not boring but has so much potential. Thanks for the post and here's hoping your day is wonderful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is important to live in the present moment. So many hours are lost and wasted by people dwelling in the past too much. I have to tell you that in the past I've thrown away many over ripe bananas. From now on though I'm going to take your tip to heart and start making that delicious cake that you gave the recipe for. It looks and sounds wonderful. I've loads more time for that sort of thing now and since I'm camping this summer I'll have someone to share it with too. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You LIKE English weather?......funny woman (sigh).

    I like bananas but I'm forever throwing them away. We buy far too many because Keith has this idea that the potassium in them will help keep away the cramps he gets in his legs at night

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your day has been wonderful...such good thoughts here! Love the recipes too..YUM! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my dear Marie, thanks fos stopping by at my blog today and by your gretings. You confort my heart Marie.
    You know sometimes we live ourlives out is like was the other person life, well is the life.
    Thanks by your prayers and continue prayer please. I send you huggs to you and Todd, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your very sweet visit -- I would sure love to have some of your banana cake on my pansy plates! How pretty your blue flowers are! Striking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have spring form pan...Actually, maybe I do, but I don't know how to use it (duh). I wonder if I could make this cake alright.

    I loved your thoughts today. It's all true and something about which we all need to be reminded everyday. Baby steps. We can all do better and do our part.

    I hope you enjoyed your day and that you have a lovely evening as well - Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I think of how one person can make a difference for the good, I think of Joseph Smith, Mother Theresa, Gordon B. Hinckley, Gandhi.

    Whenever I think of one person that made a difference for the bad..Adolf Hitler cannot be beat. No one was in his league.

    You know what I always think when I see someone that impacts society in such a negative way. That heinous creature was someone's little boy. And I feel that mother's broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those flowers are ridiculously beautiful!!!! I always love your pictures! ~ Margie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the quote and the post, Marie. And those flowers are awesome. What a breathtaking shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!