Tuesday 29 June 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .



FOR TODAY, June 29th, 2010...

Outside My Window...

The sun is up and shining gloriously. We've been having a heat wave here in the UK. It's nice to see after that cold winter we had. We did get some rain last night though, which is well needed as they say we are having a drought!


I am thinking...
In just two days I will be in Canada. It's pretty hard to believe. It seems like it was only a few weeks ago, instead of months ago, that we were buying our tickets to travel there, and now here it is almost time to leave! Can you tell I am pretty excited???

I am thankful for...
The Gospel in my life, a loving family, wonderful friends, my much cherished Todd . . . my life is full of wonderful blessings and treasures. I'm a pretty lucky gal!

From the kitchen...
There is not a heck of a lot as I am getting ready to GO AWAY FOR ALMOST A MONTH!!! Whew!! Sorry to shout about it, but I am just so darned excited! There'll be no cooking going on in my kitchen for the next few weeks!

I am wearing...
A long pink nightie with white polka dots on it. I love polka dots. If I had my way my house would be full of polka dots. Unfortunately that might be too much of a good thing and might drive my Todd . . . well . . . dottie! Or at least Potty, up the twist or around the bend!!

I am creating...
I have done several sketches, but nothing else. I will be taking my sketch book on holiday. I get a bit discouraged sometimes . . . I see others doing very well with their work and nobody seems to want mine. I need to repent of this covetous heart of mine. I am truly happy for them, but a big chunk of me is wishing it was me. I pray every day for healing, because it is not nice to feel this way.

I am going...
hmmm . . . duh . . . to CANADA!

I am reading...



The Girl With Glass Feet, by Ali Shaw

The perfect summertime read.
A novel to fall in love with - for anyone who loved the escapism of "The Time Traveller's Wife" and "The Memory Keeper's Daughter".

Strange things are happening on the remote and snowbound archipelago of St. Hauda’s Land. Unusual winged creatures flit around the icy bogland, albino animals hide themselves in the snow-glazed woods, and Ida Maclaird is slowly turning into glass. Ida is an outsider in these parts, a mainlander who has visited the islands only once before. Yet during that one fateful visit the glass transformation began to take hold, and now she has returned in search of a cure.

Midas Crook is a young loner who has lived on the islands his entire life. When he meets Ida, something about her sad, defiant spirit pierces his emotional defenses. As Midas helps Ida come to terms with her affliction, she gradually unpicks the knots of his heart. Love must be paid in precious hours and, as the glass encroaches, time is slipping away fast. Will they find a way to stave off the spread of the glass?

The Girl with Glass Feet is a dazzlingly imaginative and magical first novel, a love story to treasure.


I am hoping...
That we have a safe trip to the airport tomorrow and a safe flight to Canada on Thursday. I always find the trip itself very stressful. Once we are at the airport and checked in I will be able to relax a bit, the worst part of it will be over. Wish me luck!

I am hearing...
A ticking clock, the tapping of my fingertips on the computer keys, birds singing in the garden . . . the fridge humming in the kitchen. The lamp timer buzzing away in the corner. Time marching on . . .

Around the house...
I have a basket of ironing to work my way through. (The ironing is always there isn't it!! Just like the laundry!) That will take me a good couple of hours today for sure! I will also be packing today in readiness for tomorrow. It's all very exciting!!

One of my favorite things...
Is watching old television shows and films. That was one thing my ex mother-in-law and I had in common. I miss having her for a friend. That is one of the most horrible things about divorce isn't it . . . these people that you have loved as a part of your family, for years and years . . . all of a sudden are gone too . . . I really miss them sometimes. My mother-in-law was the sweetest lady. How she ever put up with my father-in-law is something I will never understand. He was mean and a bully, and never treated her very kindly. Small wonder that the son turned out to be the same . . .

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Packing and hmmm . . . yes FLYING TO CANADA! Tee hee. I'm not excited no!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



This looks a charming place to live doesn't it . . . a sweet little cottage, built just for two . . . What if I told you it was a doll's house? It is the most charming doll's house that I found over on the page Liberty Biberty several weeks back. I totally fell in love with the page.



It is like the doorway into a secret magical lilliuptan world . . . where everything it tiny and full of wonder. Seriously this gal is a very talented miniaturist and you should go and have a look at what she does. You'll truly be amazed, enthralled . . . and unfortunately addicted!! Don't say I didn't warn you!!

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
~Isaiah 40:31

And there you have it . . . my day book for the first week in June. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)

Here's a delicious salad to make on those days that the mercury in the thermometer is rising, rising, rising. A most tasty way to keep your cool in the kitchen! Todd always says he doesn't like salad . . . most men don't, but he does love this! He reckons I make salad much more interesting than. . . well . . . salad!




*Buffalo Chicken Salad*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This fantastic salad takes advantage of the wonderfully spicy taste of Buffalo Chicken Wings and mixes it with a healthy mix of salad greens and vegetables. Topped off with crumbled blue cheese and a tangy blue cheese dressing there are plenty of wonderful flavours to enjoy in this delicious dish!

Dressing:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Salad Ingredients:
1 cup sliced zucchini, washed but not peeled
1 cup cherry tomato halves
1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced into manageable slices
6 cups mixed salad greens
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 spring onions, shredded

Chicken Ingredients:
2 TBS butter
2 TBS firmly packed soft light brown sugar
1 TBS hot pepper sauce
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices diagonally

To Garnish:
2 ounces blue cheese crumbled

Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl, whisking together well. Cover and chil until ready to serve.

Toss all the vegetables and salad ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter for the chicken in a large skillet. Stir in the brown sugar and the chicken strips. Cook over high heat, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink inside, some 3 to 5 minutes, taking care that it doesn't burn. Add the hot pepper sauce and continue to cook, until the sauce is reduced and begins to coat the chicken pieces. Take care not to over cook or burn. This should only take 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Divide and arrange the salad mixture onto 4 chilled plates. Top with the warm chicken mixture and drizzle with the salad dressing. Crumble blue cheese over top of each and serve immediately. Delicious!




Over on The English Kitchen today, delicious Sponge Drops. The perfect teatime treat!


11 comments:

  1. Travel Safely & enjoy the trip home! I'm so glad for you.

    That book sounds good. Maybe someday I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a fun and yet very safe trip to Canada!!!! Love the doll house from that blog..... Have a great week ahead...Hugs Mica

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both will be in my prayers for a safe and happy trip. It is so exciting that you will be in Canada and visiting with your family. Enjoy your time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo VERY HAPPY and excited for you & Todd about your trip, Marie! I know how long it's been since your last trip to see family, and how much you've been looking forward to this. With all going on on your end, and all on mind, I'm not sure we'll get to chat before you go... boo-hoo... All the more to catch up on when you get back, right?! :o) LOVE that little house! Ironically, I had a dream about a doll house last night that included my Mom and my niece. Adding that book to my reading list--hope to find at the library. Hubby would love this chicken salad you've got dished up today. And I must go see about that sweet treat... Have a wonderful day, dear friend--LOVE YOU HEAPS!! OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie!.....Just wanted to wish you a safe trip to Canada. I know how much you are looking forward to it and I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. Take lots of pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie,
    Just wanted to say thank you for the bible verse today. It was very uplifting. Hope you have a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy last day at home. I am so excited for you. I will miss you but I will be smiling each day as I think of you in Canada with your dear family.
    I just read yesterday's post too.
    We were working all day yesterday sweeping up leaves, cobwebs and dirt out of our patios. The only problem of having so many large patio areas is keeping them clean. I am afraid that we don't do it regularly during the winter and it gets to be a big mess. At any rate I was working until late(except for going to the dentist) and then fell into bed. No time for reading.

    However,I love the words you write and the way you write them. "jump into the deep end of the day with both feet"... you are so cleaver.

    Well, now that you have read your comments...GO TO CANADA AND HAVE A GREAT TIME.
    I love you and will be thinking of you. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  8. That little house is so cute! The recipes look good...have fun with this trip to Canada..sounds wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you and Todd that you will soon be back in your beloved Canada...just like the Queen..you might well knock into her on your travels !!now there's a thought...
    whatever am I going to do without my daily read of Oak Kitchen...I am going to feel so bereft..hope that maybe you will be able to write at some time. I will keep checking in.
    Till we see you again. Keep well, Keep safe, God Bless.
    Love always sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  10. that dollhouse is so cool! and that dessert looks fantastic(and the salad and ok, EVERYTHING you make! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!