Monday 6 September 2010

A lovely little story . . .



One of the things I love most about the very early morning, is spending a few quiet moments in the garden listening to the birds as they wake up and begin their day . . . their music is so beautiful, and never more so than in the springtime. Oh what a lovely song they sing then . . . I think the Blackbird and the Robin have the most beautiful songs . . . but then when I am within range of a Song Thrush . . . I am enthralled with it's voice as well . . . I think I just love all bird song if I am being honest!

This time of year it slows down a bit . . . but if you listen, you can still hear some pretty melodies. I find it all very charming . . .



An ornithologist would tell you that birds sing to attract a mate, and that is probably true Who am I to argue with an ornithologist! I have heard another explanation however, that is sweeter and dearer to my heart.

There is an ancient Jewish legend which says that, after creating the world and before creating man . . . God took a little break. He gathered all of His angels around, and asked them what they thought of His work thus far.

All agreed that the Earth was indeed a masterpiece.



And then . . . one solitary angel dared to suggest that it lacked a little something. The other angels all dropped their jaws in disbelief . . . none could figure out just what this one solitary angel was talking about . . .

He took a long look around the crowd, held his head up, his wings straight and proud . . . and then he explained that the world was lacking only in the sound of praise for it's Creator.



ahhh . . . an audible sigh of recognition wove it's way throughout the crowd . . . wings fluttering in acknowledgment . . . this was indeed true.

It was then that God created birdsong . . .

And mankind has been enjoying it ever since. I do think it's a lovely legend, don't you?



I heard a nasty rumour that all that lovely weather we have been enjoying for the past few days is due to come to an end. That is is going to get cold and windy and rainy . . . sigh . . . oh well. I guess we need days like that as well, or else how would we appreciate a sunny warm day for the gift that it is. I do hate having to walk about in the wind and rain though. I expect most people do! So far all we have is the wind and cooler temperatures. Dare I hope that the rain will hold off until we are done what we have to do? Fingers crossed!

Here's a recipe for a delicious cake that's very easy to make and quite impressive. I have chosen to make it with blueberries here as that is what I had in my fridge, but I am thinking it would be equally as impressive and tasty when made with blackberries or raspberries! Cake for breakfast is good don't you think? Besides this one has fruit in it . . . so I'm ok!



*Lemon Glazed Blueberry Bundt Cake*
Serves 12

I fell in love with this cake the very first time I made it. It is deliciously moist and studded with sweet blueberries. The Lemon Glaze is perfect on top, giving it just a bit of a tang, which only helps to enhance the flavour of the blueberries. Raspberries and Blackberries would also work very well.

2 1/2 cups flour, plus 1 tsp to dust berried with
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
1 cup white sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup dairy sour cream
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 TBS finely grated lemon zest

For the Lemon Glaze:
the juice of 2 lemons
2 to 3 cups of icing sugar, sifted

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter and flour a 12 cup bundt or tube pan. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.

In another bowl, cream together the butter and two sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating until thoroughly combined. Beat in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Gently toss the blueberries and lemon zest with the 2 tsp of flour. Fold them into the batter.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the cake tests done when a toothpick is inserted and it springs back lightly when the top is gently touched.

Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before removing and inverting on a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Place on a plate.

Make the glaze by combining the lemon juice and the sifted icing sugar, whisking until the desired consistency has been reached and the mixture is smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Enjoy!



Why not pop over to The English Kitchen this morning. I baked Double Chocolate Chunk Blondies!


9 comments:

  1. Happy Monday Morn Dear.
    I was just turning off my computer when this post popped up so I had to say hello to you.
    I love to hear the birds in the trees in our back patios. They have been my alarm clock since we retired. I like your legend better than what the ornithologist say. I am sure the birds outside my window are singing praises.
    I am sorry to hear that your good weather may be ending. We have had really hot weather since we got back from Utah but it is suppose to be in the 80s tomorrow which will be nice. The kiddos are here tonight and will want to swim all day tomorrow so they are hoping it will be hot but the 80s are just right for me.

    That cake looks so good. Of course all of your recipes look good. I hope that you have a great week. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the bird song Marie,,In fact I love to try to mimic the blackbird and Mary laughs as it uaually always returns my whistle !!.. They say rain here today as well but thankfully so far it's dry and actually warm)(16deg. Oh to be where Grammy is) this morning. I had to be up extra extra early this morning as I was taking Peter our good neighbour for the coach to start his holiday to Scotland it left at 4.40am !!!I had said I would take him ages ago...we did get a surprise though when he got the time couple of weeks ago !!! glad it was a nice mild dry morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story for today, and to start the week with, Marie! I love the sound of birdsong in the morning--such a happy way to wake up. WONDERFUL cake and treats for today...mmm... Today is my first stress free now the shop is closed--it feels so good. I've been baking rolls, weeding the flower beds, making soup, doing laundry--domestic bliss, going slow--it's lovely! Oh, but I was online quite a while last night be didn't see you on MSN :o( Any chat for a chat during the week? Hope you, Todd & sweet Mitzie have a great week--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds singing is a joy for me too. They are a gift for sure. The recipes all look great. Blond brownies were a favorite of my mom and she made them often. I hope you can enjoy the beautiful weather there while it lasts. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'morn, Marie ~ I Just found you & now follow.

    Your morns are the same as mine, I love the walk in the garden with God to chat & the melodic songs of the birds to lift me.

    Beautiful write.

    Pop by for a visit.
    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photographs and the legend. The recipes, as usual are to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the birdsong story Marie! I had never heard it before.

    Hope you have a lovely week!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie. you have heightened my awareness of the birds singing. I now listen more and enjoy them more. How sad we can get so distracted and almost miss their praises to our Creator. I love this. Thank you!

    Bonnie
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. the earth only solidifies my testimony of a living God-it is just a wonder!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!