Friday 29 October 2010

A Hundred Million Miracles . . .



Todd and I are both big fans of the old Musicals. We have a fair collection now and we often like to sit down in the evening and watch one.

One of my favourites (next to Brigadoon) is Flower Drum Song. This 1961 musical is an adaption by Rogers and Hammersteine (Film musical genius's) of the 1957 novel of the same name by Chinese American author C Y Lee. Unusual for it's time, the film featured a nearly all Chinese American cast!



It might not be the best known of American Musicals, but it does contain one of my favourite Musical songs. In "A Hundred Million Miracles" the cast recount just a few of the amazing things that happen each day. Amazing things like the hatching of an egg and the fact that, even after all these millions of years, the sun still rises each morning.



A hundred million miracles might seem a bit much for us to expect to collect each day . . . even on a sunny warm day!! I'm quite sure though, that if we tried, we could, each one of us, collect at least six or seven!!

Six or seven miracles each day! Each one helping to lighten our loads and brighten our moods! That can't be bad can it?



What more could a person want in this life than a day filled with miracles . . . we only need to open our eyes and hearts and look around us. I'm quite sure we may even find more than that.

Here’s something else that is good. I made these delicious omelettes for our supper on Thursday night. It's a Delia recipe, from her How To Cook series, pumped up with my own additions and changes…so I guess that really makes it mine! Enjoy!



*Cheese and Mushroom Souffled Omelette*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

I have never had a problem making a souffle . . . I guess I am one of the lucky ones! This is the next best thing. It’s easy, (really!!) and very quickly put together once you have all the ingredients assembled.

6 large eggs
2 ounces of mature cheddar, grated
2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
1 heaping TBS freshly snipped chives (I use my kitchen scissors for this)
1 1/2 ounces unsalted butter
½ pound fresh white mushrooms, sliced
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Melt ½ ounce of the butter in a small skillet and fry the mushrooms, starting over high heat and reducing the heat once they get going. Try not to stir much at the beginning. Stirring brings out the water in the mushrooms and they end up stewing instead of frying. Once browned, set aside.

Pre-heat the grill on your oven to it’s highest setting.

Separate the eggs into two bowls. Put the yolks into a smaller bowl and the whites into a scrupulously clean larger bowl. (I separate the whites into a smaller bowl, one a time first, before adding them to the rest. That way if a yolk breaks I haven’t contaminated the whole bowl of whites) Put a 10 inch skillet on to a low heat on the stove to begin warming it.

Beat the egg yolks with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk the egg whites with an electric hand beater until they form soft peaks. Put the remaining butter into the heated pan and turn up the heat.

Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites, adding all the cheddar, half the Parmesan and the chives at the same time.

Once the butter is foaming, tip the whole omelette mixture into the heated pan and give it a bit of a shake to even the mixture out. Let it cook for a couple of minutes. (Run a flexible spatula around the edges to loosen it and check if the underside is getting browned) Sprinkle the grated Gruyere all over the top and then spoon the fried mushrooms on top of that.

Slide the omelette, in the pan, under the grill and let it cook for several more minutes, until the cheese is melted and oozing and the top is tinged golden brown. Remove from the oven. Run the flexible spatula around the edge again, to loosen it again….then slide the omelette carefully onto a heated plate, folding and easing one half of the omelette over the other. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and serve hot, divided in two.



And in The English Kitchen today, a little something I have cooked up for the Missionaries, Chicken Lasagne!


7 comments:

  1. I'm not so good at souffles but I love your version. It sounds so good. So does the chicken lasagna. Miracles are around us everyday and taking the time to see and appreciate them is invaluable. I hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well one of my little miracles is getting my computer to let me visit you today. Ususally it just tells me that it can not display this webpage. It is driving me crazy. I suppose I should take it back to Best Buy but I have been too busy to get there.

    I am on the run much of today but I am going to follow your advice and look for my 100 million miracles... or at least my 6. I send love. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello lovely friend! How's you? You're right of course, we all ought to be able to find half a dozen 'miracles' a day, but today I seem to have done nothing but grouse and grumble. Today I feel like a really horrid person so if anyone wants their head bitten off just ask me!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all too! In fact, I have sung the lead in many of them...one being "Flower Drum Song"...I did this my Jr. year in high school! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed at how some will think the miracles around them are coincidences. I am so thankful we know from whence they come and whom to thank for them!

    I got my little party girl today! She is beautiful and I love her and I will call her, Marie, after one of the miracles in my own life!! Thank you so much. Am I remembering correctly that I did Paypal that to you? Gosh the brain anymore! So much has gone on in between.

    Hugs to you three!

    Bon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing Flower Drum Song in London nearly 50 years ago. So many good songs as well as `Miracles' - Sunday, I Enjoy Being a Girl' - I still hum them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've never seen that musical! sounds good! one of my favorite musicals/movies as a kid was the rodgers and hammersteins, cinderella:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!