Thursday 25 November 2010

And so it starts . . .



A very Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American readers! I hope that you all have a wonderful and blessed day with your loved ones, both near and far and that you stay safe, warm and well fed, wherever you are!

It is hard to believe, and it seems to have rather snuck up on us again, but . . . exactly one month from today it will be Christmas!! Already the airwaves are filled with Christmas commercials cajoling us into buying this thing or buying that thing . . . trying to entice us to part with our hard earned cash to make sure that this year, our Christmas is the best holiday ever! There is never a mention of Christ, who is the main reason for the season. It's all mince pies, turkeys and the latest electrical gadgets and newest fashions and cosmetics! I do admit to loving the beautiful Christmas Music which accompanies some of them though . . .



I do think we rather over complicate things though . . . Christmas should be simple. Indeed, our everyday lives should be simple . . . but we tend to make them ever more complicated, and in doing so . . . erase much of the joy that is ours for the taking. We rush around buying things we don't really need, and make elaborate stress filled arrangements . . . all the while losing sight of just why we have a Christmas in the first place.

This year I would like to challenge you to have fewer unnecessary complications in your daily lives in the run up to Christmas . . . to slow down and enjoy all the beautiful things that this coming holiday season has to offer. Perhaps by December 25th we will all have learned how to keep things just that little bit simpler and even more beautiful.



I always have felt that there is something about this time of year that defies all definition. It is a plum pudding mixture of anticipation and reflection! One might be hard pressed to explain to an outsider all the things that this season can encompass . . . all the things that make it so joyful and wonderful. I found this quote though, that makes a good attempt at explaining it. I'd like to share it with you in closing . . .

"What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is the fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace."
~Agnes M Pharo

In the coming weeks may your cup truly overflow with all of these things and many, many more . . . and may you be able to find the joy and peace that comes from the spirit of celebrating and experiencing the true meaning of Christmas.



One thing my mother always made for the holidays when I was a girl that I loved, was lovely meat pies, called Tortiere. They were a holiday traditionhaving come from my Father's French Canadian heritage. We would have them every year on Boxing Day. Although I was never fond of any kind of ground meat, my favourite part of these being the pastry on the outside, I always found that if I doused it with loads of catsup I could manage it quite well, and it was really rather tasty once I got past the thought of it being ground meat. My sister makes really lovely ones too. I have always really enjoyed hers. I do make it on occasion as well. Todd really enjoys them. I prefer mini ones myself, more pastry less meat, but they are quite good anyways. I made one last Saturday supposedly for this Christmas, but what the heck we ended up digging into it anyways. I’ll have to make another one for Christmas it seems . . .




*Tortiere*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Tortiere is a meat pie originating from the Quebec (French) region of Canada. It is traditionally served on Christmas eve in French households and on New Years Eve but it is also found and enjoyed in grocery stores all year round. As with anything though . . . Homemade is the best of all!

Meat Filling:
1 ½ pounds ground pork
1 onion, chopped really fine
¼ cup celery, chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp summer savoury (if you can’t find this, you may use a mixed herbs)
1/3 tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp allspice
1 bay leaf
½ cup boiling water
1 small potato, peeled and finely grated

Pastry:
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
½ cup vegetable shortening
¼ cup cold butter, cut into bits
5 to 6 TBS ice water

Glaze:
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 TBS water

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add the ground pork. Cook, stirring to break up the larger chunks until it is completely cooked through and all of the liquid has evaporated. (I like to use a potato masher as it cooks, to help break it up into small even pieces)

Stir in the onion, celery, garlic and grated potato. Cook until the onions and celery are tender, but not browned. Add the salt, savoury, pepper, allspice, bay leaf and the boiling water. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer over medium heat for about 25 minutes.

Remove the lid and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer until most of the water has evaporated, but the mixture is still quite moist. Set aside to cool while you make the pastry.

Place the flour and salt in a large bowl, mixing it well. Add the shortening and butter and cut it in with a pastry blender until it resembles very fine bread crumbs. Add the water a little bit at a time, stirring with a fork until the mixture forms a soft dough that holds together well. (Try not to overwork it) Gather it into a ball and wrap it up in plastic cling film. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Pre-heat the oven to 205*C/425*F/gas mark 7.

Divide the pastry in half. Roll one half out on a well floured surface, with a well floured rollingpin, to a size that will fit into a 9 inch pie round pie dish with about a one inch overhang all around. Transfer it to the pie dish.

Remove the bay leaf from the filling and spoon it evenly into the pie dish.

Roll out the other half of the pastry to fit over top of the pie dish with the same amount of overhang. Trim and seal the edges by either pressing it together with the tines of a fork or fluting it with your fingers. Cut a few vents in top for steaming and brush it with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture.

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 50 minutes, on the lowest oven rack, until it is golden brown on top and crisped on the bottom. Serve warm with mustard pickle or catsup on the side.



Over in The English Kitchen this morning, I'm mastering the basics by sharing with you my foolpoof way to make Perfect Mashed Potatoes and Perfectly Mashed Butternut Squash!




6 comments:

  1. I'll side with Todd on this one. I love "mince pies" as Mum called them...and usually make one when I have left over mince or pastry...
    Hope you ar enice and warm up there. No snow forecast for us but it is -4 outside when Dee went out a wee while ago !!
    Love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes. It is a blessing we have a day out of the year to consider what we are truly Thankful for. I hope your day is a blessed one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The excitement of my day has been the begininng of the cricket. I didn't get to watch it but I forgot it started today and drove into the thick of it. The Barmyh Army was in force and it looked so much fun. I truly wanted to join in.

    My mother is English and she loves the traditional food. some of it is in the house already. I find it hard to eat in the heat but we are on to ham and salad or as mum has it a Yorkshire ham tea.

    I am already on the simplify wagon. I want to enjoy the meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote you have from Agnes Pharo; I hope you and Agnes don't mind, but I've posted it on my new holiday-themed blog page.

    And I am one person who has been forced this year to simplify Christmas; because of my broken foot, I'm been unable to prepare ahead of time like I usually do. So, I'm sitting back and waiting until I heal &/or my girls are home. And although it's unfamiliar for me to do this, I am fine with letting it happen. I know God has much to teach me through this experience.

    Blessings on you and Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your thanksgiving wishes for us today. Since I posted yesterday I got much sicker but I am thankfully better today. I am still sad but my tummy is behaving much better and I am so thankful to have family here. I can't go around crying with with my sweet family here now can I? I hope that Lynell will get here in time to call you today. I send love. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for the simple life at Christmas (or any other time, come to that). For years December meant not only prep cooking but also scrubbing out the house ready to receive Him. Then it all got done again before New Year's Eve. Daft isn't it? I wouldn't - couldn't - do it now but both Jesus and the New Year just as surely find their way in!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!