Friday 7 January 2011

Update on Mitzie



(Mitzie in happier times.)


I don't have a lot of time to write this morning, but I thought you may all be wanting to know how Mitzie is. She came through everything alright but is not a very happy puppy at the moment. Her incision looks great, clean and not swollen, but they have put one of those large plastic collars on her and it is really distressing her. I did get her to eat some chicken last night. but Chicken is one of her absolute favourite things and pretty hard for her to resist. Getting her to drink some water was another story! We finally spoonfed her some as I was so concerned that she hadn't had anything to drink. She would not go wee at all, and it was the same this morning. That awful plastic collar is driving her to distraction. It is so large that she cannot move without knocking it into something and this is upsetting her a great deal. She can't sniff the floor or anything. All she is doing is looking very, very sad and whining.



(Mitzie this morning, not a happy camper.)

I know that they have to have the collar on so that they leave their stitches alone . . . but this one is ridiculously HUGE. When Todd gets up I am going to have him call and see if she can't get a smaller one, or if we can cut it down. She won't go to the bathroom because she cannot sniff the ground, and she is very much a sniffer. It just seems quite cruel to me, but then I am the undulgent owner. I am sure this is a lot harder on me than it is being on her . . . I cannot imagine 10 more days of this though!



On a lighter note here is a picture of the "test"cake my son baked for Grandson's Joshua's second birthday on Sunday. (I scooped it off of facebook) It is a carrot cake recipe I sent to him yesterday and I think he did a fabulous job with it, don't you? It is hard to believe that little Joshua will be 2 already! The time sure has gone quickly.



He is such a little cutie pie. I sure wish I could be there to share some of that delicious Birthday Cake with him!

Speaking of Birthday's, today is our Eileen's Birthday as well. I am going to call her a bit later on this morning and try to catch her before she leaves for work to wish her a happy day!



This is a picture of her with her dolly in it's pram when she was about three years old. She was always such a good little mum. It is hard to believe that she is 33 years old today! Where has the time gone! If my baby's are those types of ages then I must be getting old myself!

And finally after all that drivel here is the recipe for today. You probably thought I'd never get to it. A tasty Steak Sandwich that will drive the honey in your life wild! At least it drives my man wild at any rate. He loves them!




*Steak Sandwiches*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A delicious hot sandwich which is sure to be popular with anyone who enjoys a good steak. The homemade mustard mayonnaise sauce is the perfect condiment!

4 TBS olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 pound of sirloin steaks
4 small baguettes, halved lengthwise
a large handful of watercress leaves
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

for the Mustard Mayonnaise:
3 fresh free range egg yolks
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 TBS white wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups exta virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste

First make the mustard mayonnaise. Put the egg yolks, dijon mustard and vinegar (or lemon juice) into the bowl of a food processor. Blend briefly until it is foamy. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in th eolive oil through the feeder tube, until the mixture is thick and glossy. Season to taste with sea salt. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until needed. It will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions, season with some salt and black pepper and fry over medium heat for 20 to 15 minutes until golden and caramelized. Set aside and keep warm. Brush the steaks with some oil and season liberally with salt and black pepper. Preheat a heavy skillet until hot and pan fry the steaks for 3 minutes per side (rare), 4 minutes per side (medium) or 5 minutes per side (well done). Remove from the pan and then leave to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thickly.

Lightly toast the baguettes. Spread the bottom halves liberally with the mustard mayonnaise. Layer on the watercress leaves and the sliced meat with all it's juices, dividing it equally amongst the four baguettes. Cover with the caramelized onions and baguette tops. Serve hot with french fries if desired.



Cooking in The English Kitchen today, some delicious Oxford Sausages.


11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Mitzie update. I hope she's feeling better very, very soon! Please give her love and pats from Texas, USA.

    (Our little girl didn't wear a collar after she was spayed and did well. The vet was only concerned that she was never left alone to fuss with her incision.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would like that around my neck either do you Marie?It does look very large.Sorry I am only just catching up.I hope you get some satisfaction from Todds phonecall to the vet.Pooooor Mitzie.I would be probably crying feeling so sorry for her as I am a big softy too.I also hope everything goes well with your operation too.Pooooor Marie.Oh! Dear you are both in the wars arn't you? Hugs and prayers coming your way for you Mitzi and Lovely Todd for having all the pacience with you both Heeeeee.I had to put a little smile in for you.I hope it cheers you a teeny weeny bit as you say.Take Care God Bless Kath xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely that collar will not have to be worn very long at all. They do heal quickly. When my last dog was spayed we didn't use one at all but kept a close eye on her. Perhaps you could take it off for parts of the day. Hope your Friday is a fantastic one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Mitzie, she looks so miserable. When Titch had her op she didn't have to wear a collar. I wonder if the vet is being over cautious. I hope she heals soon and back to her happy self.

    Hugs

    Sheialgh

    ReplyDelete
  5. When our dear late springer, Fleck, was castrated, he was fitted with one of those collars, and crashed miserably around the house. I took the liberty of trimming it, so that it still served its purpose, but wasn't so cumbersome. try this with Mitzie, a little bit at a time.
    She's probably feeling a bit low and disorientated just now, but they do have wonderful powers of recuperation.
    Love
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor, Mitzie... you doesn't look too thrilled, no...LOL! Poor sweet. Very glad all went well though yesterday. Do hope she'll be feeling more herself soon. Joshua 2 already--oh, the time goes fast! Wish these young ones we could freeze them for a bit, the time between 1-3 is so special. :o) Just a tiny hello from me too, a busy day here with appointments & errands. Hoping you, Todd & sweet Mitzie have a lovely weekend ahead. Hope we get a chance to chat soon too... LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Mitzie, have patience she well be well soon Marie, all dogs hate these collar, and she is so little, send you a lot of huggs!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully by now you will have been able to take Mitzies collar off even if only for a wee while. It is so long since I had my first dog also a bitch done that I can't remember what she was like. It is so much easier for the boys being done !! Sure you can get her collar off though just keep an eye on her and I knwo you will be doing that. How we worry about our animals don;t we...they are just like our children LOL
    As for that delicious sandwich my mouth is watering at the very thought. I often have that when I am out at our local pub when I order the steak sandwaich without the bread !! the baguette is just too much for me !!
    Love Sybil. hugs for Tod and Mitzie

    ReplyDelete
  9. we had to get zac "done" last year and it was sad:( i took that crazy collar thing off every now and then when i had a few minutes to watch him really close(to make sure he didn't mess with the stitches). i knew he needed a break from it every now and then. after 3 or 4 days i took it off completely and just watched him good. if he started to mess with the incision, i'd put it back on again. i think after day 5 i never had to put it back. hers does look a little bigger than it should be for her size so maybe you can cut like an inch off all the way around? the 10 days will blow by and every day mitzie will perk up a little more and she'll back to her usual self in no time! hang in there marie(and mitzie too of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear she's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our vet, too, usd to tell us there was no need for the dog to wear the collar as long as they were in eyeline of us.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!