Friday 11 March 2011

Friday this and that . . .



The highs and lows of daily living bring us both pleasure and pain . . . we often talk of being in a Monday morning "down" mood, and then another time we might say we are in an "upward looking" frame of mind.

I am reminded of a piece of advice once given by the Rev Jesse Jackson, an American civil rights leader, which brings those two thoughts together . . .

"Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up."

Wise words indeed!



My knee wasn't too bad yesterday, although I am feeling a few twinges in it today. Perhaps in my exuberance at it feeling so well yesterday, I may have overdid it. I shall take it a bit easier today I think! I am quite happy to be able to finally take a bath today though! I hate sponge baths and washing my long hair in the kitchen sink has been no picnic!! I know . . . I am so spoiled. This was de rigueur in the olden days, and actually when I was a child we usually only had a regular bath at the weekend and washed our hair at that time as well. We are so spoiled nowadays and take so much for granted, don't we!



I did a new piece of art yesterday. I wanted to do a special piece for Mother's Day and this is it. I was really pleased with how it turned out. I will be offering prints in my Etsy shop later today and of course, as always, it is also available as a greeting card!



We have a little visitor at The Doll's House today. I had ever so much fun writing this one. Hop on over and have a boo at what Norah is up to now!

The sun is up and shining today. We've certainly had our fair shair of it's beautiful rays this week! Mitzie had been enjoying being allowed to gambol in the grassy part of the garden most days. She sure loves to be there. She graduated from her Dog Training the other day and we are now able to walk her off lead in protected areas with no fear of her running off. It's so much more fun for her and for us! She is such a little dear and we love her so very much. It doesn't matter if you have been out of the lounge for 5 minutes or 5 hours . . . she is very excited for you to return and you get a very warm welcome from her regardless!



I'll close this off now with a cute little poem I found that I fell in love with. I think you'll enjoy it too . . .

Count your garden by the flowers,
Never by the leaves that fall.
Count your joys by the golden hours,
Never when life's worries call.

Count your days by smiles, not tears,
And when birthdays come around,
Count your age by friends, not years,
And the gifts of love you've found.
~unknown

Todd enjoyed a tasty dessert of Apple Dumplings yesterday. He does love his apple pie and apple crumble . . . and he loves these too! Who can blame him!



*Apple Dumplings*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

The ultimate in comfort foods! A winter time favourite.

1 1/2 cups floru
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of shortening
2 to 3 TBS ice water
4 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
4 tsp butter
5 tsp of cinnamon sugar, divided

For the sauce:
3/4 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup of butter, cubed

Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Cut in the shortening until crumbly. Add the water gradually, tossing it with a fork until the dough forms a ball. Divide into 4 portions. Cover and chill for about half an hour.

Roll each portion of dough between two sheets of cling film to a 7 inch square. Place an apple on each square. Place 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tsp of butter into the centre of each apple. Bring up the corners of each pastry to the centre of the apples, pinching the edges to seal. You can cut out apple leaves and stems from any dough scraps and attach to the dumplings with water. Place in a greased glass baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining tsp of cinnamon sugar.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.

Combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Bring just to the boil, stirring constantly. Pour this over the apples. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the apples are tender and the pastry is golden warm, basting occasionally with the sauce. Serve warm.



Over in The English Kitchen today, delicious Potato Stuffed Frankfurters.

PS - Just had to add that my rubber stamps are on display now HERE. I'm so excited. They will be on QVC on the 15th of March at 3 PM.



4 comments:

  1. As promised we have more snow this morning and it is still coming down and will be for most of the day they say. I hope your knee only gets better for you day by day. Have a fantastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS to Mitzie on the graduation and being off the lead--WOO-HOO! Or should that be Woof-Hoo! haha... ;o) What a good girl! Glad you are doing OK with your knee. Been wondering how you've been getting on. Be taking it easy now... don't over-do! LOVE the new illustration--very sweet. I would love a pink coat like that. And your new dollhouse blog is such fun--love the new pooch there! After nearly two solid weeks of spring cleaning, and we're soon gearing up to do some sprucing up of the kitchen, I'm knackered! Looking forward to a semi-lazy weekend now... Hope all of you have a great one too! Hope we get to chat soon. :o) LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just took a look at your stamps and they are spectacular! Congratulations and I hope you have great success with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. take it easy marie, we want you all better! :)

    oh and 3 cheers for mitzie! she seems like such a sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!