Saturday 7 May 2011

Poetry Saturday . . . A Song Of Living



Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die.
I have sent up my gladness on wings, to be lost in the blue of the sky.
I have run and leaped with the rain, I have taken the wind to my breast.
My cheek like a drowsy child to the face of the earth I have pressed.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die.



I have kissed young love on the lips, I have heard his song to the end.
I have struck my hand like a seal in the loyal hand of a friend.
I have known the peace of heaven, the comfort of work done well.
I have longed for death in the darkness and risen alive out of hell.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die.



I give a share of my soul to the world where my course is run.
I know that another shall finish the task I must leave undone.
I know that no flower, nor flint was in vain on the path I trod.
As one looks on a face through a window, through life I have looked on God.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die.
~Amelia Josephine Burr



I love this poem . . . it speaks to me of how I live my life, living each day that I can to the fullest. When Angie passed away in January, I realized how very fleeting life is . . . how we are not here forever and how each one of us knows not when we will leave this life. That the end can come very suddenly and very unexpectedly. Each day is so very precious and will never come again. We need to squeeze all the joy out of each one that we can. Each day is a gift to be unwrapped and enjoyed to the fullest!

Here's a recipe that Todd really enjoys. He loves chicken drumsticks and these are a real favourite! I always remove the skin from my chicken before I cook it. That way I get rid of all the extra calories and fat that I can. Enjoy!



*Honey and Soy Glazed Chicken Drumsticks*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Deliciously tender drumsticks with a yummy sticky glaze. Quick and easy to do as well! Make sure you line the baking dish with foil for an easy cleanup!

1/2 cup of honey
2 TBS dark soy sauce
1/3 cup of water
8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed (3 pounds)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 230*C/455*F/ gas mark 7. LIne a shallow 9 by 13 baking dish with aluminium foil.

Mix together the honey, soy sauce and water in a large bowl. Add the chicken drumsticks, tossing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and then tip the whole mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Place into the oven and bake, basting the chicken with the pan juices, scooping from around the edges, every 10 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. This will take approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Serve the chicken hot and drizzled with the pan juices.



Baking in The English Kitchen today, English Lavender Buttermilk Scones! Deliciously Different!

4 comments:

  1. I had never heard that peome before Marie, Hope you don't mind but I amgoing to copy and keep it...I miss Sarah so much and that poem just described her life so completely..
    At last we have had some welcome rain thunder and lightening last evening and looks very like more to come sooon...
    LOve Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is such a wonderful gift. I can never understand people that don't appreciate it. I hope your day is a wonderful one full of only good things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these llook so good and as I haven't has breakfast yet they sound like just the ticket,,I want to thankyou Marie for your kind words today on my blog,, you're a sweet heart.I'm happy your mum is still here .Have the best of best days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem. I so enjoyed talking with you today. Your flowers are beautiful. Each time I look at them I think of you and smile. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!