Wednesday 4 May 2011

Wednesday morning twaddle . . .



"Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions . . . could have, might have and should have."
~unknown

That is just about one of the best thoughts on failure that I have ever come across, but then again I have an adventurer's heart. I just love trying out new things and seeing new places . . . learning new skills.

Life is all about progress I think. That is what makes it all so very exciting. I want to stretch my wings and feel the wind upon my face. When faced with a new challenge or experience, I always ask myself . . .what is the worst that could happen. If I can live with that, then I take the chance, and why not! Life is just far too short to waste a minute of it.



We've had some kind of bee make a nest in our vegetable garden. Right amongst the peas. I am not sure what we can do about that. Its all very strange. I've never seen anything like it before. I don't think they are wasps. They just look like tiny bees. Has anyone had any experience with that themselves? I'd be interested in finding out what happened.



It is hard to believe but our little Mitzie will be a year old in just a month's time. I shall have to make her some kind of Doggie Birthday Cake I think, and we shall celebrate it in some way. She's become a really lovely dog. The only problem we have with her is that she gets overly excited when people come to visit. We have not been able to break her of that, but we are working on it. She just loves to be a part of everything we do, and her little face is involved with every movement we make. She puts herself to bed each night at around 9 o'clock. I think she is an early bird just like Todd and myself.



I was quite chuffed with myself last evening. I managed to do the whole of my Richard Simmon's Sweating to the Oldies exercise video. It had been a long time since I had done it and I was quite happy that I managed to get through the whole thing. I need to be doing it every day really. I've been far too lazy since this knee thing started. I used to do it every morning. We shall see how it all goes. I had lost three pounds the last time I went to my weight loss class . . . they have not had it for 2 weeks now because of all the bank holidays. I sure hope that I didn't put any of that three pounds back on when I go this Friday! I've tried to be good, but it is hard when you love food as much as I do. I know too, though, that if I don't lose some weight I am at risk for diabetes or worse so I just have to stick with it.



One of my responsabilities in my new calling at church is to organize the Extra Meetings for the sisters, which are held once a month, generally speaking, although you can have as many as you want I think. If any of you out there have any ideas of fun, yet inspiring ideas of things we could do and wouldn't mind sharing them with us, I'd surely appreciate it. I've come up with a few ideas but I need a lot more! Perhaps there are things that you have done in your own Ward's that we might like to do as well?? I also need to pick an extra meeting leader and committee, which will be hard as I don't really know everyone yet. Having been in Primary for all that time meant that I really only got to know the children and the other Primary workers!

Well, I am going on a bit now with a load of twaddle so I will end this here. The sun is shining and we are looking forward to another glorious day. I hope that wherever you are and that whatever you will be doing today that you are able to find some joy in it!

Here's a really scrummy breakfast cake that is very easy to make, and that everyone always loves. I always have a tin of cherry pie filling in the cupboard. It always comes in handy for one thing or another!



*Cherry Filled Coffee Cake*
Serves 12 - 15
Printable Recipe

A delicious breakfast cake made with convenience foods. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! You can vary the flavour by using apple or blueberry filling instead.

1 (2 layer) white cake mix
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup of sour cream
3 large free range eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tin (21-oz) of cherry pie filling
1/2 cup of toasted flaked almonds
1 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 TBS milk

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 13 by 9 inch pan. Set aside.

Place the cake, cinnamon, sour cream, eggs and water into a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until well blended and smoooth. Pour into the prepared pan. Top with spoonfuls of the pie filling. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the nuts over top and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile whisk together the icing sugar and milk until smooth and lump free. At the end of 10 minutes, drizzle this over top of the cake decoratively. Cool completely before serving. Cut into squares to serve. Delicious!!



Baking in The English Kitchen today, Simple Jam Jams!


11 comments:

  1. Mitzie is so lovely! I guess her excitement is something she'll outgrow in time - how lovely that she wants to be part of the flock :-)

    You won't be surprised to hear that I make Lambi a doggie cake, based on the Swedish sandwich cake. She LOVES it, so I'll send you the basics of what I do and you can see what you (and Mitzie) think.

    How great that you are getting back to exercise as I'm sure that it will help you both physically and mentally. You may find that you have a lot more energy to spare once you get going - although you seem to pack a lifetime into each day as it is.

    Cake for breakfast? Now that did make me smile - you sound like my husband :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the bees, you might want to contact a local beekeeper. They would be able to tell you what sort they are and probably take them away for you as well (my dad and grandad do this all the time).
    You mentioned you had trouble with Mitzie getting too excited, have you ever watched a show 'Its me or the Dog'? Cant think now who the lady is, but she has some great ideas and they work! Making the dog sit and stay before you open the door and if they jump up, shutting the door and starting again. Just an idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Marie,Todd, and Mitzie..why should they miss out on the greeting !!!!
    we to have a lovey sunny morning although we had a white frost so hope that it has come to late to harm all the blossom..or what is left of it as most has now been blown away...I will look forward to any of your ideas for your meetings. I can maybe use them for my guild meetings !!!
    I thinkk you should get rid ASAP of the wasp/bee nest Marie before it gets any bigger. Peter found one in my shed, took lovely photos will send you some...and then broke it up you don;t want to be stung or Mitzie later on.
    The recipe looks good this morning, but I think it would be a bit sweet especially first thing in the morning. Thankfully I don't have a very sweet tooth
    Have a lovey day. My friend arrives from edinurgh today for a week...
    LOve Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twaddle? Twaddle? you never talk twaddle my girl..lol

    Yes you need to get the bee's checked out SOON! Doln't want Mitzie's snuffler being stung:)

    Hugs

    Sheilagh
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bee nest sounds like yellow jackets to me. If they are in the ground that is what we have here. I think there is a chemical you can put on it to rid them. Otherwise you might have to call an exterminator. If they were honey bees a bee keeper would gladly take them off your hands. Depends on what they are for sure. Hope you can find out. That is a bother. You are doing great with the exercise. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary with those bees! Yes, do get on the phone to some professional that might be able to help. Even call a pest/insect control place, they might be able to put on to someone who can remove the bees humanely. I recall from my childhood, we had a fence that had a red rambling rose on it. One year a kind of wood wasp bore holes all in--nesting inside the wood! It was awful! Do hope Mitzie minds her nose while outdoors! Gosh, she'll be a year old soon already??!! Love your sentiments at the top--Life is just far too short to waste...that is so true! I'm a bit scarce this week--in my studio painting canvases, making jewelry & doing little knitting commission for a friend. We leave for our trip in two weeks--can't wait! :o) LOVE YOU LOTS, dear friend ((HUGS)) P.S. That coffee cake has me almost breaking my current no-baking sweets policy!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well first of all Marie I couldn't believe Mitzy ia almost 12mnths old.Doesn't time go by so quickly (yikes).Like the others have said I would get the insect matter sorted asap.If not you will be pestered all summer with them and poor Mitzy may get stung or try to catch one in her mouth.I had one in my garden on the ground quite a few yrs back now,they wern't bees but I do remember the local authority charged us about £60-00p for removing it.Also my sister had the same in a clematis climbing up her front door and they charged her about the same Grrrr,so make sure you ask first if the service is free,whoever you ring.One reason why I never put the little nesting boxes out as anything with a small hole in,starts them off at times.If the ground has been very dry and it opens and cracks slightly, this also attracts insects to nest inside,I have found.If I am sat relaxing and I see any circling the lawns or ground and they start to come and go as such,I pour insect repellant down there.Just as a precaution nowadays.Have a lovely day,the cake looks delicious.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Sophie used to get very excited when people came in the door that she would piddle. We did some research about it and it turned out to be something dogs do to show submission! Bless her, she was trying to be a good girl and we were all 'what are you doing?! No!'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that word TWADDLE!!!! Just HAD to tell you. LOL

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is hard to imagine that your puppy is now a young lady! Time just marches on doesn't it? What a little Sweetie Mitzie is!

    I do hope that you do well at your weight check in. I am moving down like a tortoise but I am not giving up before I give out. The progress I have made has been pretty painless so I am just going to keep going. There simply are no quick fixes. I use to have those smokin' hot Richard Simmons videos. LOL!! I wonder what happened to them? The music was fun!

    I will think back over RS special meetings and try to come up with something. I'll be thinking of you on Friday, best of luck!

    Love, B

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!