Thursday 21 July 2011

Change . . .



Change. It comes to each of us at various stages in life doesn't it? Sometimes it is most welcome, but all too often . . . we fear it. It is the fear of the unknown I think, that causes us to dread it.

On a particularly windy and stormy morning a little while back, I looked out my back door and saw a mistle thrush sitting on the top of a tall tree in a neighbour's garden, swaying in the wind and singing it's little heart out, seemingly unbothered by the wind and stormy weather.



I remember thinking to myself that . . . if he could sing in such a beautiful way, despite the wind and stormy weather, then so could I. Perhaps that is the secret to getting through the storms of life and change . . . being able to sing our way through them. It may not change the outcome, but it will certainly change our attitude in how we deal with them. No matter how bad it may be, we will come out on top, singing.

Remember . . . no river ever flowed that didn't . . . at times . . . burst it's banks and take a new course. Life is a river, so go with the flow, not against it, and while you're at it . . . you might as well sing!



I had a message from one of Lura's daughters yesterday to say that her recovery had not gone quite as smoothly as expected, and that she was beiong kept a bit longer in the hospital. So, let's keep praying that her body is strong enough to recover without any more issues cropping up. She needs our prayers more than ever! I will keep you posted as and when I receive any more news! Thanks so much!

Yesterday turned out to be quite a gorgeous day!! Todd and I enjoyed ourselves in Chester City and I was able to walk the whole time with not a lot of pain, which was a joy to me! I can feel though today that I have another torn miniscus in that same leg . . . so I must have overdone it without realizing it. Grrr . . . it is hard to keep myself down when I feel like walking more! I must teach myself the art of compromise I think!



The last time I had a knee injection, I also had to go to the Dentist the day after and I had an injection in my jaw so that I could have a filling. Since then I have noticed that my left eyelid, which is on the same side of my face that I had the freezing injected, is twitching and feels lazy. It has been constant and seems to be getting a bit worse. I cannot see anything in the mirror . . . even though it feels like it is twitching, I can't see it twitching and even though it feels like the lid is dragged down, I can't see that it is either. I think I may need to make an appointment with my Doctor about it as it is getting to be a bit disconcerting. I think the two may be related, but am not sure, and I was wondering if any of you had experienced anything like this??? I do know that my ex-sister in law went to the Dentist one time and ended up going temporarily blind in one eye because of the freezing. (Horror of all horrors!) Needless to say she was terrified of the Dentist after that!

I have a bowl of cheerios for breakfast almost every morning. They are my favourite breakfast cereal. I was quite happy to find this delicious recipe for a snack type of cookie that you make using cheerios cereal! I think children would love these!




*Chocolate Cereal Bites*
makes 24 cookies
Printable Recipe

Quick, easy and bite sized! Moreishly temptingly scrummy!

For the crust:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Cheerios type of cereal, crushed
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
120 miniature marshmallows (about 1 1/3 cups)

For the topping:

1/3 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2 cups Cheerios type of cereal

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 4.

Using an electric mixer, mix all the crust ingredients (except marshmallows) together in a bowl, on low speed, until crumbly. Divide evenly among 24 nonstick mini muffin cups (about 2 level teaspoonfuls per cup), pressing firmly into the bottom of each cup.

Bake 6 to 7 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Place 5 marshmallows in each cup. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer until marshmallows just begin to puff. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Mix all topping ingredients (except cereal) together in a saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, just until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the cereal. Immediately spoon the chocolate cereal mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls over the marshmallows, pressing down slightly. Cool for about 15 minutes or until firm. Remove from muffin cups, and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.



Baking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Mozzarella and Basil Bread!


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely reminder to keep "singin' in the rain" and find the positives in change. I needed to hear this today. Will be keeping Lura in my prayers. Hope you have a lovely day, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,

    Definitely get your face checked. My ex had double vision after his wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon said it was definitely a side affect of his hurry. It didn't take long to correct thankfully. Having said this there are other things so please see your doctor.

    Prayers for Lura. Having had the surgery myself I know it wasn't easy and I was well going into it.

    I am glad that you managed a great day out. It is so very uplifting to change our routine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops hurry should be surgery, Now how did I manage that one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything .. of concern..after dental work should be checked.. by the best.

    Love the analogy with hardships and singing through it all..

    Good recovery to Lura..

    Take care..the food looks yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Changes are going to happen to all of us and to keep a positive attitude helps for sure. With all your friend has been through I'm thinking it's no wonder she is slower to recover from surgery. Our bodies need time to mend. I will be praying for her. Hope your eye and knees improve too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Marie, Here I am again...this will be my 4th attempt today..all the others disappeared into thin air...Fingers crossed for this one.
    I am sorry that your knee feels bad after yesterday..mayeb if you take it easy toady it will ease sure hope so. As for your eye please do go back either to the dentist or your Dr. No wonder I never go near a dentist !!
    Hope Lura is feeling better today.It is only natural that however careful the surgeons were they would mayeb have to lean on her poor ribs..just as they were settling down...
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Marie, some words, hope you feeling better of your knee my dear. O the dentists I hate them, Really! By Lura Im praying, dear I arrive right now from the Hospital the surgery is tomorrow I know you will pray, send you huggs and we talk when I can, xxxgloria
    Take care, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always fearful when I have to get a numbing shot at the dentist that it will stay with me forever. I have heard that sometimes they can nick a nerve. Hopefully what you're experiencing will disappear & you'll be as good as new. I Like my Cheerios with sliced bananna. Just had some last night for a late night snack.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!