Friday 19 August 2011

A Friday Natter . . .





You cannot master the art of happy and successful living . . . until you have mastered the technique of timing . . . knowing when to do a certain thing, or when not to do it . . . and knowing the psychological moment when all is finished!



There is always the right time to say the right words, and there are times when nothing you say will be right. Wisdom is knowing the difference! Eccliastes, a religious philospopher who penned these words over six hundred years before the birth of the Saviour certainly understood the importance of perfect timing . . .



"There is a season and a time to every purpose under the heavens." he said . . . "A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silent and . . . a time to speak!"







We had a perfectly lovely time last evening. We had our good friends Audrey and Peter over for supper, along with another couple who are friends of theirs. It was Peter's birthday. He was turning 70. Peter is an amazing man. He has had a quadruple by pass (some 5 years or more ago now) and he has never let it keep him down. He is like the ever ready bunny. He just keeps going and going. Audrey had a stroke about 2 years ago now, and has very limited mobility on her left side, but she is like Peter. She just keeps going despite it all. They are wonderful examples to Todd and myself. Peter was Todd's best man when we got married, and I worked with Audrey for a number of years in the Primary as one of her counselors. She is a real sweetheart, mild mannered and soft spoken and at the same time, willing to stand for the right. They are an amazing couple. Anyways, I think we did Peter's Birthday up in style! We didn't get into bed until gone 11, which is really late for us!







I just have to show you this sweet picture of my Granddaughter, Maryn, especially since I showed you all the grandsons the other day! She is so precious and looks just like her mum. The dress she is wearing is one we sent over to her and it was so nice to see her in it, and see that she is just as pretty in it as I thought she would be!







At only six months, she is quite the poser already. I surely with that I could hold her in my arms, and smell that soft sweet little head, although in truth she would probably make quite strange with me . . . a Grandmother can dream though . . .



I am skipping my one step class today. We have to go to the Chapel and clean the windows. We didn't get them done last week at all, and I felt bad about that. This is our month for doing them and I want to do my best. We don't have chapel cleaners any more so each family has to take their turn throughout the year doing different jobs.



Ohh, and my laptop has died! It won't turn on for me at all. I had an episode like that with it one day last week, but then it did come on, but yesterday it would not come on at all and so now we will have to take it in for repair. It figures . . . the warantee is just up on it as I have had it just a year! I think they build that type of thing into them on purpose so it will happen just as the warantee expires! Most annoying. I hope it is not too costly to have it fixed.



Anyways, I have nattered on long enough so I will end this now with a cheery wish for you all to have a great Friday! Don't forget . . .



"We are on a journey and we are not here to stay.

That is why we have to make the most of every day.

We plot and scheme and plan and dream

and build our castles high . . .

But often we forget that we are only passing by."



Have a great day everyone, and don't forget to make every moment count, as it will never come again.



I made us a lovely vegetarian curry for our lunch yesterday. It comes from off those recipe cards you can pick up in the grocery store and I’d been eyeballing it for about a week now and wanting to make it. The picture looked delicious and let me just say, I was not disappointed! Of course I made a few changes and so it’s not exactly like the one on the card. I like to think it’s better!







*Cauliflower and Cashew Nut Pilau Rice*

Serves 4

Printable Recipe



This delicious rice dish combines several of my favourite flavours. Sweet and tender cauliflower, wonderfully crunchy cashew nuts, aromatic spices and basmati rice all work beautifully together to create a very tasty pilau! You can add a can of chickpeas or a peeled, cubed and deseeded butternut squash instead of the cauliflower if you wish.



1 TBS vegetable oil

1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped

400g basmati rice (2 cups)

1 TBS Korma curry paste

750ml of boiling water (3 cups)

1 TBS vegetable stock powder

1 cauliflower, cut into small florets

50g roasted cashew nuts ((1/2 cup)

A small handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped (cilantro)

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

4 TBS natural yoghurt, to serve (I like Greek no fat)



Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion for several minutes over medium heat, until softened. Add the rice and curry paste, cooking and stirring until all the grains of rice are coated.



Tip in the boiling water, the stock powder and the cauliflower florets. Bring back to the boil, then cover the pan and reduce the heat. Allow to simmer gently for 13 to 15 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.



Stir in the cashew nuts and coriander leaves. Season to taste. Divide between four heated places and serve with a dollop of yoghurt!







I'm cooking up Irish Pancakes over in The English Kitchen today!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!