Tuesday 27 September 2011

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, September 27th, 2011...

Outside My Window...

The sky is just faintly beginning to lighten out the front window. It is dark most mornings when I get up now, the days are becoming quite obviously shorter. It is hard to believe that we are at the end of September already.

I am thinking...
My daughter Eileen is going into hospital today to have her tubes tied. If you could spare a little word of prayer for her that would be much appreciated. She is getting married next July. I am very happy for her. Both she, and her husband to be, are developmentally delayed and they don't want there to be any children. He has already been done, a long time ago . . . but I guess to make certain that she can't get pregnant, she is having her tubes tied as well. They have been dating for about 8 or 9 years now, and have been waiting a very long time for people to allow them to get married, so it's a very special time for them and for the family.

I am thankful for...
That Todd is beginning to feel a lot better, thanks! Here's hoping it continues until he is 100% well again!

From the kitchen...
There's not a lot of goodies hanging about! I am getting slack!

I am wearing...
Nightie, robe, slippers. Same old, same old . . . nothing changes!

I am creating...
I haven't done anything new this week. I am slipping! I've done a lot of reading about creating though, so I spect that must count for something!

I am going...
I have an appointment for a hair cut this afternoon and then on Thursday evening we have the General Relief Society Broadcast. I can hardly wait! It's always really good. I have already heard hints from those in America that have already seen it that it is a really good broadcast and you can watch the talk given by President Dieter F Uchtdorf here:



I am reading...



A Game of Thrones, a song of fire and ice by George R R Martin
This is the first volume of a brilliant trilogy, written in the style and muse of Tolkien. The first volume of George R R Martin's glorious high fantasy tells the tragic story of treachery, greed and war that threatens the unity of the Seven Kingdoms south of the Wall. Martin unfolds with astonishing skill a tale of truly epic dimensions, thronged with memorable characters, a story of treachery and ambition, love and magic. Set in a fabulous world scarred by battle and catastrophe over 8000 years of recorded history, it tells of the deeds of men and women locked in the deadliest of conflicts and the terrible legacy they will leave their children. In the game of thrones, you win or you die. And in the bitter-cold, unliving lands beyond the Wall, a terrible winter gathers and the others -- the undead, the neverborn, wildlings to whom the threat of the sword is nothing -- make ready to descend on the realms of men. A Game of Thrones begins the most imaginative, ambitious and compelling fantasy epic since The Lord of the Rings. Thronged with memorable characters, it unfolds with astonishing skill, a tale of truly epic dimensions. I am reading it on my kindle and am thoroughly enjoying. It's a can't put down kind of a book!

I am hoping...
That Eileen's operation goes well. That Todd feels better soon. That I can get a handle on this weight of mine. So many hopes . . .

I am hearing...
Early morning sounds . . . the clock on the mantle humming as the wheels inside it turn. The odd car as it goes by. Mitzie snuffling as she snoozes, all curled up behind me on the sofa. The tap tapping of the computer keys as I write.
They are morning sounds. The sounds as I hear whilst the house wakes up around me and the day begins. I know I say the same thing every week . . . this morning I also have Elder Uchtdorf's brilliant talk playing as I write. I can't think of a better way to start my day!

Around the house...



This is one of my favourite online shops, Berry Red. I recently purchased a new oil cloth for the table from here. I fell in love with it, and it really goes well in here. Here's a picture of the pattern:



I think it's very pretty and fresh looking. I also splurged and got these bowls:



Only two, one for Todd and one for me. I fell in love with them. They can be our extra special, celebration bowls. Everyone should have something in their lives that is extra special and makes each day feel like a celebration, don't you think?


I am looking forward to...
Christmas. I have all the gifts bought for the grandchildren now and just have to get some wrapping paper and wrap them up. I wish I could be there to see their little faces when they unwrap them!

I am pondering...
I am a thinker. I spend most of my time thinking about one thing or another. Sometimes my thoughts are very deep . . . and others they are not very deep. I am glad I have a pondering mind though . . . I cannot imagine not being able to ponder the mysteries of life.

One of my favourite things...
Is teaching my reading student. I can see that he has come brilliantly far since we first began the lessons. It is amazing and wonderful. I tell him each that that he is doing wonderfully brilliantly! I am teaching him now, now to string sounds together to make words. It is really amazing to see the light coming on for him!

A few plans for the rest of the week...
There are the daily reading lessons, my hair cut, the General RS Broadcast and then this weekend is General Conference. I love General Conference weekend. I can't wait to listen to the spiritual food that our leaders have prepared for us to digest!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




“No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you, with an infinite love.”

Using the forget-me-not flower as a metaphor for his remarks during the latest RS General Presidency Broadcast , President Uchtdorf noted that . . . although the flower is small in size, and easily unnoticed among larger flowers, it is still beautiful and vibrant.

He tied the five petals of the forget-me-not flower to five things women should not forget, which I will share in brief with you here this morning. (I do hope that you will take the time sometime to listen to his talk. It's brilliant!)

Forget not to be patient with yourself.
Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice.
Forget not to be happy now.
Forget not the why of the Gospel.
Forget not that the Lord Loves You.

And just as a closing thought for today . . . these words from President Uchtdorf:

“Just think of it: You are known and remembered by the most majestic, powerful, and glorious being in the universe! You are loved by the King of infinite space and everlasting time.”

“You may at times feel a little like the forget-me-not—insignificant, small, or tiny in comparison with others,” he said, noting: “I hope (the forget-me-not) will be a symbol of the little things that make your lives joyful and sweet.”

I will never look at forget-me-nots the same ever again. I think I will scatter some forget-me-not seeds throughout the garden to remind me of the value of his great words and message.

Oh how very blessed I feel to be a member of this great church, with leaders that continuously feed my soul in such a wonderful and beautiful way.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!

I am slowly re-doing the recipes one by one that I first posted in the early days of my blog. They were not put into a printable format and so I am changing them to a printable format. This is one we really enjoyed back in June of 2007. Blueberries are a lot more available over here now than they used to be when I first arrived. They are not the tender little sweet ones of my childhood, but they are delicious all the same.



*Blueberry Gingerbread*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

This is an unusual version of gingerbread in that it is studded with lovely pockets of blueberry. Who knew the two things would go together so well! This is really moist and delicious and only gets better every day!

½ cup sunflower or canola oil
1 cup sugar (caster* or granulated)
½ tsp salt
3 TBS mild molasses (or equal parts of golden syrup and dark treacle)
1 large egg
2 cups plain flour
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup buttermilk
2 TBS Demerara sugar for sprinkling on top

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*C. Lightly grease and flour a deep 9 inch cake tin and set aside.
Beat together the oil, 1 cup of sugar, salt and molasses with an electric mixer. Beat in the egg, mixing it in well.

Sift together the flour, spices, and baking soda. Remove 2 TBS of the mixture and dredge the berries in this.

Add the remaining flour to the beaten mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the blueberries and remaining flour.

Spread in the prepared pan. Smooth the top and sprinkle the Demerara sugar evenly over top.
Bake for approximately 50 to 60 minutes, or until well risen and the top springs back when gently touched with your fingertips. a toothpick inserted in the centre should come out fairly clean.

Set on a rack to cool. Cut into wedges to serve, either warm with butter of with some whipped cream on top. OR…you can do like I do, and split the slices in half and dollop some lovely lemon curd in the middle and then put them back together.



Cooking in The English Kitchen today, A Delicious Gratin of Chard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!