Wednesday 2 November 2011

Home . . . where the heart is . . .




“Marriage is still very much a living institution, worth all the time and patience invested in it. Marriage is the stable structure that encircles and supports two clumsy individuals, learning to love and live with each other.”

~Ronna Romney and Beppie Harrison, Giving Time a Chance

This month Todd and I will be celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary. On the one hand, it’s hard to believe that eleven years have already flown by . . . and on the other, it’s hard to believe that I have not spent my whole life with this special person in it.

I never wanted to be a divorced woman. I don’t think anyone goes into a marriage thinking this will not last forever. But it happens, even when it shouldn’t. I have learned so many things being married to my Todd, that might have been helpful in my last marriage, but then Todd is a completely different person than my ex husband was, so perhaps they may not have helped it at all. I only know that “this” marriage works, and I am so thankful that it does.



First and foremost, we are the best of friends. There is nothing that I cannot share with him. He shares all my joys and all my sorrows and everything in between. Even when he doesn’t always want to! But he listens anyways, because he knows that whatever it is I am talking about, it is important to me, and in being so, it becomes important to him! And it works the same way in reverse. We have an easy companionship that rolls along like a ship rolling along the waves of an even ocean.

That’s not to say the waves are always calm. I don’t know of any marriage that never has a bit of tumult in it, and ours is no exception. Success lies in how you handle the rocky stuff. Understanding and patience is the key. We may not always agree with the other person’s position, but we always try to be understanding and respectful of the position that they hold. I know my weaknesses and so does he, and so too, do we recognize his. That’s when we need to be strong for each other and help to hold the other up. We are the wind beneath each other’s wings.



We love each other. Not with the juvenile love of starry eyed youngsters who love today and not tomorrow . . . but with the enduring love of two people who care deeply for each other . . . come what may, forsaking all others, in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer . . . in all times and for all times. Ours is a union blessed in the heavens, and we have been joined together eternally in a marriage that goes far beyond the boundaries of this earthly existence, not just til death do we part. Knowing this helps us to be even more careful with the treasure that we hold in each other . . . to uphold and honour the covenants we have made together, and that we keep together. It is a sacred place to be with the one you love, and a place I always want to be.

There are times that I wish that we had met each other when we were young enough to have had a family together . . . but in the next breath, I thank God that we were able to meet at all . . . and I am ever grateful for the Lord’s timing in bringing us together. I trust that we met at the perfect time for “us”. It surely would have been nice to share the bringing up of a family together, and I cannot pretend that when I see moms, dads and children doing things together as a family, my heart does not ache for what might have been . . . but I know that if we do things in the way we are supposed to do them here on earth, and if we hold true to what we have promised to each other and to our God . . . then He will uphold His promises to us in return, and there will be even greater things to come . . . and so I trust in that.



We try to always encourage each other, and to be kind to each other. That is not hard to do when you are walking on a righteous path. I see in him the fingerprints of God, and I know that he is always doing his very best for me that he can . . . how can I ever ask for or expect more from him than that. In turn, I try to give my very best back. When he falters, I try to understand and I know he tries to understand me. We are patient with each other, even when it’s hard to be so.

No . . . we are not perfect, neither one of us. But we love each other, warts and all. When I look into his beautiful blue eyes I see my future . . . and that is where I always want to be. We are each other’s strength and purpose . . . just as it should be.

We’ll celebrate our anniversary on the 11th of this month. I believe it falls on a Friday. We are going to go to the Temple and walk the grounds, hand in hand, and give thanks for our Heavenly Father’s perfect timing. It will be nice because the Preston Temple is the one we were sealed together in for time and all eternity. Afterwards, we will come home and I’ll cook us a special supper. He wanted to take me out for dinner, but I will enjoy cooking our own more than I would going out for one. We’ll light the candles and put on some nice music, and perhaps even give each other a turn or two around our country kitchen. We’ll count our blessings and hold each other close and know that there is no place on earth than we would rather be than right where we are, two hearts hung together . . . at home.

Source: flickr.com via Marie on Pinterest



I had a lovely night out with the ladies last night! I didn't get home until gone 11 o'clock. Todd was a bit frantic as it was so late and he was worried, but my stupid phone ran out of steam and so none of his messages would go through and I was unable to answer it or to use it to let him knnow what was going on. I had a wonderful meal that ended with a Dark Chocolate Soufflee cake . . . ohhh so dangerously good! The best part was being with the sisters and enjoying each other's company. I am so happy that I went.

Today our new sofa arrives so we are looking forward to that and my reading lessons begin again. I had put them on hold when I had the cold as I didn't want to spread my germs. My student is also the caregiver for an elderly lady and friend and I didn't want him to catch it and then give it to her. I must dash as I have a thousand things to do first! In the meantime here is a lovely recipe for ham steaks that is one of our favourites. Quick, easy and quite, quite delicious!



*Maple Glazed Ham Steaks*
Serves 3 - 4
Printable Recipe

Ham is called Gammon over here in England. A butcher told me once that is only becomes ham once it is cooked. You will see it on the menu in most pubs, usually served with an egg and some chips, or sometimes with a pineapple ring on top. I prefer it this way, sweetly glazed, with a tasty variety of vegetables on the side. Delicious!

1 pound of ham (gammon) steaks
¼ cup of Maple Syrup
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS Dijon mustard

Whisk the maple syrup, vinegar and mustard together in a small bowl. Snip the fat side of the ham steak at one inch intervals with the kitchen scissors. This helps to prevent it from curling up when you are cooking it and keeps it flatter in the pan. Brush one side of each ham steak with the maple mixture.

Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Once it is heated place the ham steaks into the skillet, glaze side down. Brush the other sides with the glaze. Cook over medium heat, turning from time to time, until they are cooked through and the glaze has thickened and coated each one nicely, and they are starting to brown. Serve hot with some of the pan juices.



There are several recipes in The English Kitchen today, all to do with slow cooking, some tasty Crockpot Barbequed Chicken, French Dip Sandwiches in the Crockpot, a tasty Irish Lamb and Barley Stew and Crockpot Buttered Pecans!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!