Saturday 24 March 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . No Place To Go



The happiest nights
I ever know
Are those when I've
No place to go,
And when the misses says
When the day is through:
"Tonight we haven't
A thing to do."



Oh, the joy of it,
And the peace untold
Of sitting 'round
In my slippers old,
With my favourite book
In my easy chair,
Knowing I needn't
Go anywhere.



Needn't hurry
My evening meal
Nor force the smiles
That I do not feel,
But can grab a book
From a near-by shelf,
And drop all sham
And be myself.

Source: google.com via Marie on Pinterest



Oh, the joy of it,
Oh, the comfort rare,
Nothing on this eaerth
To it can compare.
And I'm sorry for him
Who doesn't know
The joy of having
No place to go.
~Edgar A Guest



Edgar Albert Guest (August 20, 1881–August 5, 1959)was a prolific English-born American poet who was popular in the first half of the 20th century and became known as the People's Poet.

In 1891, Guest came with his family to the United States from England. After he began at the Detroit Free Press as a copy boy and then a reporter, his first poem appeared December 11, 1898. For 40 years, Guest was widely read throughout North America, and his sentimental, optimistic poems were in the same vein as the light verse of Nick Kenny, who wrote syndicated columns during the same decades.

From his first published work in the Detroit Free Press until his death in 1959, Guest penned some 11,000 poems which were syndicated in some 300 newspapers and collected in more than 20 books, including A Heap o' Livin' (1916) and Just Folks (1917). Guest was made Poet Laureate of Michigan, the only poet to have been awarded the title.

His popularity led to a weekly Detroit radio show which he hosted from 1931 until 1942, followed by a 1951 NBC television series, A Guest in Your Home.

I just love the feel of this poem, No Place To Go. We lead such busy lives that it's nice to just take some time once in a while to sit back and do nothing. There is a special peace and joy that comes from not having to go anywhere or do anything, but to quite simply . . . be.

Don't forget you people over here in the UK, the clocks spring forward one hour tonight!!



Baking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Bumbleberry Pie Traybake.

“I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us—insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn’t measure our talents or our looks; He doesn’t measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other.”
~Jeffrey R. Holland


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!