Tuesday 13 March 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, March 13th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

It is cool and the sky is just beginning to turn light. It is hard to believe we are already almost at the middle of March. Where is the time going? Our clocks are still on winter time, but I know they have already sprung forward back home in North America. I am dreading the time change. I always have such a difficult time adjusting to the spring one. You wouldn't think that would be so, with it only being an hour . . . but it is really hard for me!


I am thinking...
I got a letter from our Eileen yesterday. She told me all about the great time that she and Tim had in St Albert with the Special Olympics. It was so very nice to hear from her. I need to write her a letter in return asap. I know how very exciting it is to get mail and how much I always appreciated my mother's letters. I only rarely get one now as we speak on the telephone each week. My mother's arthritis in her hands is just too bad now for her to write like she did. For years I got a letter from her each week, and then they went to one every two weeks. I have saved them all. They are precious to me.

I am thankful for...
My calling in the church. Our church does not have a paid ministry. The work is all done by volunteers through what we call "callings." In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a "calling" is a position or assignment in which members have been asked to serve or perform. Members are called of God to serve each other, and all callings are important. Callings are voluntary, are issued by the proper authority, and are usually for a few years, but can be for less time. I am serving at the moment as a counselor in the Relief Society, which is our women's program. I love my calling and the opportunities it has, and is, giving me to be able to serve all the Sister's in our church. It brings me joy.

From the kitchen...
I need to bake I think . . . but then again . . . maybe I shouldn't. It has the horrible habit of getting in to my mouth . . .

I am wearing...
Grey and pink jim jams, a robe and my slippers. It is still quite cool at night, so jim jams are the order of the day!

I am creating...



This is my latest piece. You are my happy. I love her red shoes, and the other colours I used. I think it would make a great thankyou card or just cheer you up card. What do you think??

I am going...
I am going Visit Teaching this morning. I also went yesterday morning. Each sister in my church has two visit teachers assigned to them. ( The purposes of Relief Society are accomplished through visiting teaching when sisters are given the opportunities to watch over, strengthen, and teach one another. We are asked each month to pay the sister's under our care a visit. I love Visit Teaching as it gives me the opportunity to not only serve another woman but the opportunity to make a new friend and to get to know the sister's in my Ward better.) Visiting teaching is much more than a visit or sharing a thought with a sister. It is how we connect with one another. We share hearts and souls and extend charity, which is "the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love". Visiting teaching brings the love of the Lord to every home and to every sister. It is a sacred trust we have been given.

I am reading...



The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before—and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

Set in a future country that was once known as America, a set of cruel and sadistic games take place, as a punishment to the districts for an earlier rebellion. Twelve boys and twelve girls from the differing districts must battle in a futuristic arena - a battle to the death - in which only one can survive. When Katniss Everdeen steps up to take her younger sister's place in the games, she holds little hope that she'll survive, with the weight of the world on her shoulders - can she withstand the veritable death sentence before her?

This book was recommended to me by a friend and I have to say that even though I have only just begun to read it, I am totally smitten by it. There are a further two novels in this trilogy set, and I think it's safe to say I will probably read them all!!

I am hoping...
That I get all the things done that I need to get done this morning so that I can play this afternoon for a bit! I am looking for an interesting and easy craft that I can do with the ladies in my church later on this month. Any ideas???

I am hearing...
Nothing much. Mitzie is snoring away on the sofa. The keys are tapping. The birds are singing. The odd car drives by. The clock is ticking. A pretty normal morning I would say.

Around the house...

Source: bhg.com via Marie on Pinterest



Is this not a fabulous idea for storage in a craft room???? I think it's just wonderful and a great way to recycle tin cans! My father used to hand jars from the rafters in our basement. He would nail the lids to the beams over his work bench, and then just screw the jars on to the lids. This is how he kept his little bits like nails, nuts, bolts, etc. stored. This is along the same lines I think, except it's tin cans! It would be a great way to store ribbons, scissors, glue, etc. I love the idea of painting them bright colours as well!

One of my favourite things . . .
I have always loved going for long walks with Todd. We have covered a lot of ground through the past 11 1/2 years. I miss them . . .

If I could change one thing it would be...
That no child in this world would ever go to bed hungry, or cold, or afraid. When I was working full time we used to sponsor two children, one in Tanzania and the other in Ethopia. Unfortunately we had to give that up when I lost my job. It broke my heart to do so. I loved the idea that I was able to do something to help at least those two children and their families. We also used to give some money every month to the children's charity in this country, but had to give that up as well. Now we are only able to help as we can, which is not often, but when we have a bit extra we do what we can.

I am looking forward to ...
Seeing what today will bring. Each day is a gift, bad or good. It's all in how we look at things. Even the seemingly bad can be good if we choose to learn from it.

One of my favourite things ...
Is daydreaming. I have always been a daydreamer . . . much to my teacher's annoyance when I was at school. My brain has a habit of going on journies to here, there and everywhere. Oh, the places I've been and the things I have done in my head are just amazing! I love it!

A few plans for the rest of the week...
I have to go Visit Teaching this morning, and then we have church meetings tomorrow night. Todd and I have some missionary work to do as well and of course I have my reading lessons which I am still giving each day. In between times I hope to get in a bit of play!! We've also been going through things again and sorting out things to take to the charity shop. I think it's healthy to do that every now and then . . . there is no point in keeping things we are never going to use, and haven't used in a while.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




“In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance.”
― Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Prayer changes everything. I believe we must be a praying people and we must strive to be the answers to other's prayers. Never stop looking for an opportunity to serve. Always listen to the promptings of your heart and allow them to move you to action. Oftimes we ARE the answer to another's prayer . . . in small and simple ways, or in larger ways. Oftimes what may seem simple and small to us can simply mean the world to someone else.


As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:


Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone;
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

I just love this . . . it is so true.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


Link

Cooking in The English Kitchen today, Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet Dinner!

Happy Day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!