Tuesday 20 March 2012

The Simple Woman's Day book . . .




FOR TODAY, March 20th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

It is cool and the sky is completely light for the most part. I think it looks to be another sunny day, although it is still very cool. The wind still has a nip in it, but there is the promise of warmer days ahead. Spring is definitely upon us.

I am thinking...
We took Mitzie to get groomed yesterday and while we were waiting for her to be done we went to a nursery nearby to browse for a time. It is too far and would be such a waste of petrol for us to come back home again. It was fun walking around and looking at all the plants and dreaming what one could do with a garden if you only had the money. There was also beautiful statuary and fountains etc. Mind you, we only have an ordinary sized garden here, it is larger in the back than most, but I think statues and such would seem a bit out of place! It's no Highgrove!

I am thankful for...
My husband and all that we share together. For years and years I prayed to my Heavenly Father that I would have a husband I was "evenly yoked" with and He has answered my prayers. Of course at the time I started praying for this, I was with my ex husband . . . and I was very hopeful and had the faith that somehow his heart would be turned to the Lord . . . it never happened, but I never gave up praying for a husband that would love the Saviour as much as I do and, well . . . my prayers were answered in a very special way. I love my Todd and all that we share . . . from our mutual love of the Lord, to our love of nature and history. We are "evenly yolked," and it was well worth the wait.

From the kitchen...
There is not an awful lot! I have been trying hard to stay on the straight and narrow. There are some chocolate chip cookies that I baked the other day for Todd, but thankfully I've been able to resist them!

I am wearing...
A blue M&S nightie and my old blue robe and slippers. Warm and comfy.

I am creating...



This is my latest piece. I'm not sure if I showed it to you or not. Once you choose Hope. I think she looks like a very contented little girl. I haven't done anything else since, but I have a few thoughts running through my brain. I am also getting a craft ready to share with the sisters on our RS Additional meeting next week. We are going to do some needlebooks.

Source: flickr.com via Marie on Pinterest



Something similar to this, but I haven't worked it all out yet. Whatever it ends up it will have to be one that can be completely done by hand. I have bought all the materials, now I just have to make a proto-type and then put together some little kits to hand out on the night. I hope it is a craft that the sisters enjoy!

I am going...
In our lesson during RS Society on Sunday (that is our ladies meeting, kind of like a church ladies Guild meeting, except that we have a lesson each week. This week it was on sustaining our leaders.) one of the Sisters mentioned that she had a story to share about a time when she and her family had ignored the advice of our church leaders and gotten into a spot of trouble. I was pondering this and thought about how we have been told for years to have a food store in reserve and how diligent Todd and I have been on doing this. It occured to me that now is the time we should be using it. The price of food is skyrocketing along with everything else. It cost us £43 to fill our car the other day and it still had a full quarter of a tank in it, so that was only for 3/4 of a tank. It was the second time we had had to fill it this month and there is still a ways to go in the month. At the time I thought, we cannot afford to be doing this . . . we may have to just take our car off the road, if things get much dearer . . . but then on Sunday morning, I thought . . . we need our food store now, to help to get us through these tight times and sustain us until the economy improves, and so that is what we are going to do. Hopefully we won't have to do it for long!

I am reading...



The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before—and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

Set in a future country that was once known as America, a set of cruel and sadistic games take place, as a punishment to the districts for an earlier rebellion. Twelve boys and twelve girls from the differing districts must battle in a futuristic arena - a battle to the death - in which only one can survive. When Katniss Everdeen steps up to take her younger sister's place in the games, she holds little hope that she'll survive, with the weight of the world on her shoulders - can she withstand the veritable death sentence before her?

This book was recommended to me by a friend and I have to say that even though I have only just begun to read it, I am totally smitten by it. There are a further two novels in this trilogy set, and I think it's safe to say I will probably read them all!!

STILL enjoying this!

I am hoping...
That the budget for our country which comes out this week is not too harsh. I know there are a lot of other countries in the European Union which are in a lot more dire straights, but it is only a matter of time I feel before we are in the same straights. It is only because we did not take the Euro as our currency that we are in as good a position as we are. I really and truly believe that we need to come out of the European Union. I do not believe that it has been good for us, and I see more and more of our country disappearing as time passes. We pump billions of pounds into it each year. That is money that we could be using in this country to fix what is wrong here . . . now. The EU has more and more of a say about what we can or cannot do, with their laws superimposing themselves over and above our own laws. Did you know that you can be charged for something which is against EU law in this country, even if it is not against our own laws? It's crazy. We have terrorists that we cannot send back to their own countries because the EU tells us that it is against their human rights, and all sorts. I think it is time we took back the reins of our own country . . . but in the meantime, I hope that the budget is not too harsh. (Getting off my soap box now!)

I am hearing...
Nothing much. Mitzie is snoring away on the sofa. The keys are tapping. The birds are singing. The odd car drives by. The clock is ticking. A pretty normal morning I would say.

Around the house...



I love this idea of storage. I was thinking yesterday that we still need to de-clutter, and to organize things a bit better. My cupboards are still in a bit of chaos. I need some order. I was thinking that plastic containers might be a help for a lot of things, well labeled and stacked. I also need to get rid of stuff. I think that if I take the stance that if I don't absolutely love it . . . then it goes . . . that stance will help a lot. If we ever have to move from this place then it would have to be into a smaller place and what would we do then! I don't want to have to wait until then to have to get rid of the surplus. Best to do it now whilst we both have our minds and the capacity to do something about it! On the plus side, the landlord has told us we can go ahead and get a new kitchen floor and have it installed, and to just take the cost of it off our rent. Bonus!

One of my favourite things . . .
You know I love to read poetry . . . but did you know I also love to write it? Tis true. I do. But I seldom if ever show it to anyone else. It is scattered throughout my journals. Someone will read it some day . . . but for now, it is my own secret treasure.

If I could change one thing it would be...
We were given a beautiful world by our Heavenly Father, which contained everything we needed in order to survive and enough for everyone so that nobody need ever be without. If I could change one thing it would be that the world started to share it's resources out equally . . . so that nobody need every be without a roof over their head, or clean water for drinking . . . that all would have enough to eat and warm clothes to wear, that there would be no wars or ill feelings towards each other. I know . . . sounds like heaven doesn't it? I think that is the way it will be during the time that Christ returns to the earth to rein for a thousand years . . . I say bring it on!!

I am looking forward to ...
The sun just broke through and bathed everything in it's golden glow! I am looking forward to a sunny day!! Everything seems better on a sunny day don't you think??? It's like the earth is smiling!

One of my favourite things ...
Is Big Band music. I could listen to it for hours . . . Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Johnny Mercer . . . I enjoy it all. I used to love watching the Lawrence Welk show when I was a girl.



I still do.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
We have some missionary work to do later today. I have the daily reading lessons. Friday, my Step program. We are having the missionaries over for supper on Wednesday night and we have a few visits to make to some families which we haven't seen in a while to see how they are getting on, then all the things that normal life consists of. Life is good.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...




“Opportunities do not come with their values stamped upon them. Every one must be challenged. A day dawns, quite like other days; in it a single hour comes quite like other hours; but in that day and in that hour the chance of a lifetime faces us."
~Maltbie D Babcock

Success has never come without taking at least a little risk. We must be open to the opportunities we are given and be ready to take a chance. There are times when to dare is the highest wisdom.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:


"Remember, noone can make you feel inferior (or anything else) without your consent."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

I just love this . . . it is so true.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!




Cooking in The English Kitchen today, A Simple Chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!