Thursday 23 August 2012

Finding your bliss . . .



Sometimes we like to watch the American news on our television. It's nice to get a North American perspective on things from time to time . . . and I do kind of miss the accent. (More often than not though, we do watch the BBC news programs.) I've often watched Anderson Cooper on CNN and it was only just recently that I discovered that he was Gloria Vanderbilt's son. He once said that the best advice his mother ever gave him was to "follow his bliss, and the money would follow." He had a dream to be a news reporter and he now anchors each weeknight with his own news show.

I think that's pretty good advice . . . to follow your bliss. I think another way of putting it is . . . to do what you love . . . and to love what you do.

I don't think it really matters what job you have . . . if it's a job you wish you didn't have, or if you don't have a job and wish you did, or if you wish you had different people to work with, or a different boss . . . the day to day routine of it could become a real bind, a mental drag, most especially if you don't choose to see it as a purpose and a mission.



There were many times when I was working down South that I would come home in tears, and just sit at the picnic table in the back garden to clear my head before going into the house. Although I had probably one of the most beautiful environments anyone could ever want to work in . . . my boss could be quite cruel and demanding more often than not, especially during the past few years that I worked for her. There were many times I just wanted to throw in the towel, and tell her to stick her job, in the nicest possible way of course. It was only my knowing that Todd really enjoyed living where we did that kept me there . . . that . . . and the fear of not knowing what I would do if we had to leave. It's not easy leaving a job when your home is attached to the position.

The scriptures give us some wisdom regarding whatever labour we decide to embrace . . .

Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God; And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.
~Colossians 3:22-25


Often when I worked, no matter what was going on around me, I tried to keep these words in my heart . . . knowing that I was to be an example to others, no matter what I was doing. That my employment was for much more than a paycheck and that if I were to do as God wanted me to . . . I had to be committed to endurance and excellence in any undertaking, and that ultimately my employer was not the woman that I worked for, but my Father in heaven.



And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour.
~Ecclesiastes 2:10


These verses got me through many an hour . . . and, whilst I did end some of my days in tears from time to time, pondering God's words in my heart more often than not gave me the strength to move forward. They helped me to see the positives in my employment and to dwell on them, instead of on the negative. Somehow any job seems better and more worthwhile . . . when you see the Lord as your master. It may not always be easy to do so . . . but it can be done. It's just a matter of perspective . . .



I did the first page in my journal/memory book yesterday afternoon. I was very pleased with how it turned out. I found a quote yesterday that really touched my heart in a meaningful way . . . this was my inspiration.



"The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captures only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a Quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day. And I wish that I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
~Anna Quindlen




I converted some pictures of my children into black and white photos and played with them a bit using bits of my photo editing program to age them somewhat. Then I printed and cut them out and mounted them onto pieces of scrapbook papers. (I used Tim Holtz ones.) Then I tore the scrapbook papers off around them, to frame them and aged the edges of those. I used papers which had clocks and old calendars and musical notes . . . to more or less portray the passage of time. The quote I printed off in a handwritten looking script and then I used a flame to burn away the edges, and really give it an old look.



I really was quite pleased with the finished piece . . . I think it conveyed exactly what I wanted it to convey, and I managed to capture the preciousness of my children's childhood years and my part in them, that I will hold forever in my heart.

I had an idea for a project yesterday as well . . . a book perhaps entitled "Illustrated Quotes of the Heart." I know . . . I'm a dreamer. But then again, you've got to have a dream in order to have a dream come true.

Link

There's not an awful lot going on in The English Kitchen this morning. I was testing and playing with Ryvita Crispbreads yesterday. I did make rather a tasty Waldorf Salad though!

Happy Thursday everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!