Tuesday 13 November 2012

The Simple Woman's Day Book


FOR TODAY, November 13th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

It's very dark.  It's cold too.  I think winter is in a hurry to arrive, but there is still a while to go before it's officially here.  I don't think anyone informed winter about the correct timing of it's arrival!

I am thinking...
I am having to use the laptop this morning, because for some reason the desktop is not able to get online.  When I came down this morning it had crashed.  I know YIKES!  Anyways, I re-booted etc., but the connection to the internet is not working on it.  I sure hope that Todd can fix it as I have a lot of my artwork, etc. on it, not to mention it would make a pretty expensive living room ornament.  So I am thinking . . . please, pretty please let it all be ok!

I am thankful for...
 

I am thankful for a son that is serving his Queen and Country. I hope they don't mind me showing you this handsome photo of him with his girlfriend.  I am thankful for his girlfriend too, Sara.  She is a really lovely young woman.  I think this may be the one.  Finger's crossed.  ☺

From the kitchen... 

I need to get busy.  Not a lot to eat out there.  OH, for sure there is lots of tinned food, etc. but not a lot in the goodies section!

I am wearing...  








haha, if I looked like this I might be wearing this . . . but alas I  don't.   I look more like this:




Except I have a head of course!  I wonder why we don't appreciate the quality of having a good figure when we actually have one.  I wonder why we have to lose it to value it? I suppose that is just the way it goes!

I am creating...  

Photo: Some more of the Matchbox Dolls for Haley Kate Goble

I am working on these plus some other pieces.  I am also working on making more cards to sell and to take into the gallery, a special piece for a friend, and the children's cook illustrations.


Don't you just love this!!  It's a sock!  I think it's just adorable!  I am really enjoying all of the winter/Christmas crafts that you can find on pinterest.



There is just no end to all of the talent out there!  I just wish I had more time in the day to indulge myself more in this way!

I am going... 
 Ibroke a tooth yesterday so I have a Dentist appointment tomorrow.  Hoping that it doesn't really start hurting in the meantime.  We had planned on going to the Temple tomorrow, but now it will have to be put off.  Maybe Thursday.  We will see how it goes.  Other than that there are no concrete plans for the rest of the week.

I am reading...

Borrowed Light, by Carla Kelly
Julia Darling never expected to cook for some cowboys in Wyoming, but when she breaks off her engagement in Salt Lake City, it's the perfect opportunity for her to escape. Determined to stick the job out, Julia faces her biggest challenge yet - letting go of borrowed light to find her own testimony. Set in the early 1900s.

I am really enjoying this book!  It is a historical romance, but without the smut, and very entertaining.  The characters are very real and the main character is a cook!  Absolutely loving this.  It's refreshing and funny and interesting!  The characters are sweet, loveable and believable.  The perfect escape.

 

Jesus, a novel,  by Walter Wangerin Jr

With eloquence and beauty, the award-winning author of Book of the Dun Cow, The Book of God, and Paul: A Novel turns his pen to history’s most compelling figure: Jesus of Nazareth. In vibrant language, Walter Wangerin Jr. sweeps away centuries of tradition and reveals a man of flesh-and-heart immediacy. Passionate, intelligent, and irresistibly real, this is a Jesus pulsing with life who will captivate you as thoroughly as he did the men and women who walked with him across Galilee’s golden countryside.
Days of centuries past become today, lit with bright colors of the imagination. Wangerin shows you Jesus through the eyes of the two people who were with him at very the foot of the cross, the two who knew and loved him best: John the apostle, and Jesus’ beloved mother, Mary. . . .

 I am reading this one on my Kindle.  I've read it before, but wanted to read it again.  It's a fab book.  He is a brilliant writer.  I've also read his "Book of God."  Another fab read!  He brings the scriptures to life in a wonderful way.

I am hoping...
Iam hoping that I can get all of the things I am doing or needing to do done!

I am hearing...
Nothing new really.
I can hear the boiler running. Clocks ticking.  Mitzie snoring.  Computer keys ticking.  The usual, punctuated by the odd car which drives by.


Around the house...




I have always wanted to have painted wooden floors.  If I had the money I would strip off all of my floors down to bare boards and then paint them.  I don't know why I love them so . . . I just do.  They just look so cozy to me.




Love, LOve, LOVE the stained glass in these doorways.  I have always wanted a stained glass panel that I could hang in my kitchen window so that when the sun shone through it, it would dapple the kitchen with coloured light.  That has long been a dream of  mine.  Dreams can and do come true, so . . . you just never know do you?

One of my favourite things . . .  





I confess . . . I just love sunflowers.  There was a time when you could get a lot of sunflower stuff for the home . . . wall paper, ornaments, dishes, etc.  I love them in the garden.  They are so sun shiny!  They are also a good example to us as they always face the sun.  They will turn as the sun moves across the sky.  They follow the sun . . . a reminder to us that we should always follow the "son!"


Something new about me ...
I have very little faith in myself sometimes.  I know, I come off as being very self assured and confident, and sometimes I am, but then there are many times that I am lacking in faith in myself and all that I can do.  I am a work in progress . . . and I need to kick my own bum every day of my life.  I know alot of you think I am way up there on a pedastle . . . but trust me, I do have feet of clay.  I frequently stumble . . . but then I let the Master pick me up and set me back on the path.  That makes all the difference in the world

One of my guilty pleasures ...

Source: lindt.com via Eugenio on Pinterest


Five words.  Lindt Dark Chocolate with Chilli. 'Nuff said.

Pet Peeves... 

The excessive packaging on most goods.  There is so much that it is sometimes almost an iq test just figuring out how to get what you have bought out of the package!  It either takes the strength of a Samson to open it . . . or you end up saying "sod it!"  and grabbing the scissorsand then just hacking it out . . . which means of course that if there is anything wrong with it, you can't return it in it's original packaging.   DUH!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



"God doesn't care nearly as much about where you have been as He does about where you are and, with His help, where you are willing to go.” 
~Jeffrey R Holland

I think we sometimes allow ourselves to get too caught up with our past and with the things which we cannot change.  We carry our sins around with us like an albatross around our necks, which drags us down and prevents us from being who we were truly meant to be.  We just need to let go of all of that baggage and hand it over to the Saviour, and then . . . putting our hand in His . . . move forward.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"
Dr. Seuss
 
And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it! 

  
  

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Not So Diet Vanilla Wafers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!