Friday 28 December 2012

Friday, Friday . . .


Source: etsy.com via Marie on Pinterest

I have always enjoyed these few quiet days which lay between Christmas and New Year . . . this quiet interval between excitements.   This is a time to catch our breath and ponder the new beginning which lays ahead, in just a few days time.

I think it's a good thing that we don't have to face this New Year immediately after all of the excitement of Christmas, but have instead . . . a few days for reflection.  A few days upon which to make a quiet approach to the new year which sits in the doorway.   A few days to remember past mercies and marshall the rabble of our good intentions.



Cynics would poo poo and espouse the futility of making resolutions , , , and indeed in truth, most resolutions made in the new year, quickly falling by the wayside . . . but that doesn't make it a bad thing to make resolutions.

I think it very good and very proper to take stock at the end of an old year and ponder on things you might like to change in the new year.   This is the perfect opportunity to make a fresh start, to stiffen up the will . . . and who doesn't need a bit of starch put into their flabby spines??

And we needn't feel like failures either if these resolutions quickly fall by the wayside . . . we need only feel human, for it is a very human thing, this ability to not stick with things . . . to be a little weak.  Resolutions are soon routed by the devil unless subjected to extreme discipline . . . and isn't it fun to try irregardless of whether we will succeed or not?  I think so.



The person who never makes a New Year's resolution must be either very self-satisfied or very lazy.     Oh . . . they may never be spoken out loud, these resolutions . . . but we make them all the same.  I never begin a New Year without at the very least wanting to become a better person in the months to come.

And do I succeed???   I do believe so. I do.  I may never stick to that diet . . . but I always improve myself in some way, however big or small.  And that's what counts.




One thing I love about British Television are the special shows that they put on at Christmas.  You can always rely on at least a few of them, and indeed sometimes we are spoilt for choice!  This year was no different.   I really enjoyed the "Call the Midwife" Christmas special.   It was wonderfully inspiring and very cheering.   Coronation Street and Downtown Abby left me quite saddened however . . . with ends that I had not expected.  I am glad that I did not watch them on the day . . . why can't people be happy at Christmas?  Why does there need to be this tragedy all the time?  I know it makes for good ratings . . . but a bit of cheer would be much better I think!

 

I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling the viewing pleasure of our North American friends who have not yet seen Season three of Downton Abby and this years Christmas Special.  What a cracking show it is!

Which got me to wondering why someone doesn't create a television series surrounding Jane Austin times, or Dick Turpin times.   Is there nothing interesting with that time in history?   I think that a series based in that time era would be fabulously entertaining.  It seems that all the historical series are late Victorian or Edwardian.  We've been watching "North and South" again . . . with Patrick Swayze.  It just never gets old.


Source: google.com via Leanne on Pinterest


Yes, I do believe we are somewhat boring people.  ☺   That's just the way we roll . . . and with that, a thought for today . . .

“You could ask yourself, 'How did God Bless me today?' If you do that long enough and with faith, you will find yourself remembering blessings. And sometimes you will have gifts brought to your mind which you failed to notice during the day, but which you will then know were a touch of God's hand in your life.” 
~Henry B. Eyring

 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Crispy Chicken Breasts with a Honey Garlic Sauce.

Very tasty!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!