Monday 8 July 2013

Small And Wonderful Things

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.

 photo MarynandCameronJuly2013_zps5dbc9072.jpg

Little glimpses of big sisters and baby brothers enjoying some summer sunshine.  I am so grateful the the miracle of modern technology which allows me to enjoy these things.   Even thirty years ago I would have to wait quite a while to see something special like this photograph, but today . . . with the click of a button, a few seconds later I am looking at them!  What would my Grandparents have thought of this?   I don't know.  I think perhaps they would have been quite amazed!

 photo 30905_zps9fb200d9.jpg

Nice music to listen to on a sunny summer afternoon.    Have you listened to this album by Rod Stewart?   It's just beautiful.   We love it.   We loved it so much we collected all of the other volumes in his American Songbook series.   It's probably one of my favourite series to listen to.

  photo SAM_7106_zpsb9f5fbe9.jpg

An amazing camera which allowed me to catch this little bee in flight.  His wings are moving so fast they are only a blur!   I told you those wild roses would be bursting out all over the place in just a few days and they are absolutely gorgeous at the moment!

 photo SAM_7109_zpsc719b515.jpg

This little fella was definitely enjoying them.  I do not know what kind of a bee it was, but he sure kept me busy for a few moments.

Again . . . modern technology, what would we do without it!

  photo SAM_7121_zps615b4ad9.jpg

Todd saw his first baby frog of the year sitting on a lily pad the other morning and yesterday I saw a tadpole which was huge and has the back legs and who will soon be a frog.   It may only be a little pond, but it sure brings us a lot of joy.  I love it when the gold fish jump out of it, just a bit.   It is a happy sound.

 photo SAM_7120_zps36365c27.jpg

Look at the height of our bull rushes and grasses around the pond!  Simply amazing!   They have exceeded themselves this year for sure!

 photo 1014308_321491857992160_1485050831_n_zps146f1b2c.jpg

My jaw is still incredibly sore where they removed that tooth the other day.  I've been living on Ibuprofen and Paracetamol  to keep it at bay.   I am thankful for them and the miracle of modern medicine.  I think 5 days is a bit too long for this to be going on . . . perhaps I need to make an appointment to go back to the Dentist.   Something's not quite right here . . .

 photo 67e8b27afa1a86109a31060bca6d895b_zps8d507426.jpg

Fresh berries from the garden.   They are coming fast and furious now.   I see a Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler or something similar in my very near future . . .

 photo tumblr_m7ze1iTiaj1rb55p5o1_500_zpsc03b9bcd.jpg

Hot summer days and lazy afternoons.   We think we may take a river cruise down to Iron Bridge this week . . . make hay while the sun shines.   We have only just discovered that they do them.   I have always wanted to see Iron Bridge and apparently this cruise goes down past the  Duke of Westminster's Estate.  Here's hoping the weather holds out and it's a go!


 photo 1a1085d3cbea37be1843902f455e4043_zps28e1df7c.jpg

Being able to dry the laundry out on the line.    It smells so nice and I love that snapping sound it makes when we get a little breeze going.   Bliss . . . pure and utter bliss . . .

  photo SAM_0990.jpg

Sun flowers.   I love sunflowers.   I always thought they were only yellow, but they can come in all sorts of colours.  I would love to have a sunflower garden, with nothing but sunflowers in it. 

 photo 1706b113c6a8fe26c48928347087b478_zps549b72c2.jpg

Each of you.   You are all flowers in the garden of my heart and I think . . . pretty wonderful!

Have a great Monday!

  photo SAM_7068_zps169eaceb.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Buffalo Chicken Casserole . . . oh . . . my . . . goodness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!