Wednesday 28 August 2013

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo edd337a66950e7b0bdef5b19dbca1cc0_zps97cdf089.jpg

Being able to and loving reading. I'm grateful for a father who taught me to love reading the written word from a very young age.  Being able to read opens up a world of beautiful possibililties for the one who can read.   I have been able to see and experience many things just by reading books.  Reading has given me a much larger world and broadened my experience.  It has taught me many things I would otherwise have never known.  Throughout my life books have been my friends, my inspiration, my teacher . . . some books I have read feel like family.  I like to revisit them from time to time, and each time I read them I am inspired by their pages all over again.  I have a kindle which makes reading in bed much easier for me . . . but I doubt these electronic readers will ever fully compensate for the joy to be found in holding an actually book in your hands and the feeling you get when you rifle through it's pages . . . the smell of the paper, the feel of them beneath your hands.  Books and the written word . . . they are like magic carpets can which take you to faraway lands and places.

 photo 88fee386c8f42073db1ac864388259b0_zpsb4f0699a.jpg

Downton Abbey.  I just adore this show.   We are watching all of seasons 1, 2 and 3 again whilst we await the return of it and season 4.  This is "Can't Get Enough of It" television.   I was trying to think of reasons why I love it so very much yesterday.  The characters are very human and realistically portrayed.   You even find yourself loving the dowager Countess of Grantham, Lady Violet Crawley, who is an impeccable snob.  This is a program which gives us a glimpse into a life that only snatches of exist today.  It makes you laugh.  It makes you cry.   Sometimes it makes you angry.  It always, always entertains.  I love the costumes.  I love the characters.  I love the realism of it.

  photo uktv-downton-abbey-new-pictures-4_zpsf198c667.jpg

Having worked for the very wealthy, I think it is pretty much spot on.  They truly do live in a different world than we do.  I can't wait for Season 4, although I was broken hearted and a bit annoyed when Matthew Crawley died at the end of the last Christmas special.  What is next for Lady Mary?   We shall have to tune in to find out what comes next.

 photo c7b5074829ccd1e1e5ba8e169d969751_zps7732f586.jpg

Cookies and milk.  Milk and cookies.  It never gets old.  It is a love I have enjoyed since I was a child.  I only ever very rarely will sit down and have a glass of milk.  When I do . . . I have a cookie too.  Don't judge me.  ☺  The two just go together like peas and carrots and I appreciate them and am grateful that I do.

  photo SAM_2075.jpg

The comfort of our bed at the end of the day.  It always feels to wonderful to slip back between the sheets and be at rest.  I love being able to reach out during the night and feel my husband next to me . . . and yet . . .

 photo SAM_2076.jpg

I still have my own space.  The value of twin beds can never be underestimated.   I am so glad we went with that idea.

 photo SDC18148.jpg

The hydrangea in the garden at the moment.  They amaze me.  We have several different kinds in a variety of colours, but mostly pink and white.   They are just brilliant.  Each year I tell myself I am going to cut some and dry them so that we can enjoy their blooms all year round, but I don't and then wish I did.  Will this be the year??   One never knows . . .

  photo SDC18141.jpg

I never know what is the opportune moment to pick them for this purpose.   I know there must be a perfect time to do it in.  Can anyone enlighten me?

   photo Walk.jpg

Each day that follows the day before.  Each morning when I open my eyes I am grateful for a new day beginning.   I think each day that we are given is a precious commodity.  Worth more than all the gold and silver and jewels in the world and beyond.  Each day is a gift and will never come again.   I am grateful for a heart and mind which recognize this truth and for the ability to make the most and the best of each day I am given, for as long as I am given them.

 photo sunrise.jpg

Beautiful sunrises.  I am a morning person.  I love being up early and watching the sun rise up on the horizon.  Sunrises are like opening a gift and there is a new one each day to open.  May I ever feel this way . . .

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

 As each day comes to us refreshed and anew,
so does my gratitude renew itself daily.
The breaking of the sun over the horizon
is my grateful heart dawning upon a blessed world.
~Terri Guillemets  



 photo SAM_0107_zps9e85f697.jpg

A simple side dish in The English Kitchen today . . . Browned Onion Mash.  Deliciously simple and filled with fabulous flavours!

Have a fabulous Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!