Monday 2 September 2013

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

  photo Sunrise_zps526e4a56.jpg

Watching the sun rise each morning above the rooftops across the street.  I have always been an early riser.  I've never been able to sleep in, unless I am not well.   Watching the sun rise is an integral part of my day. There is something very spiritual about it.  The darkness of the sky on the horizon gradually lighting up until it bursts into something quite spectacular . . .  like the flames of a fire as it takes hold of the logs it dances upon.   If there are clouds in the sky it is only more breathtaking as the flames lick and colour each undulating edge with golden light.  It lasts only minutes, but what a beautiful gift we are given with the dawning of each day . . .

 photo goodforsoul_zpsfd1db196.jpg

Feeding the soul.  It doesn't cost much to feed a soul.  Only time, and not even a lot of that.  It can be fed by the comforting touch of a hand, or the broadening warmth of a smile . . . a fit word spoken, the colours of a delicate bloom, a few melodious notes of a song, a service given or a service taken, a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on . . . all free, and there are many, many more gifts such as these to feed your soul.

 photo grandsons2013_zpse87b0cd8.jpg

Three beautiful Grandsons.  From left to right Joshua, Jonathan and Jacob.  Of course I think I have the most handsome grandsons in the world.  That is a Nan's prerogative I think.   These are my son Doug's children.   Doug is married to Kayla . . .

 photo dougandkayla_zps9eadcce0.jpg

They make each other happy.   That is a blessing I think . . . when your children find people to love that make them happy . . . and then have their own little families.  That's the cycle of life . . .

I do often wish that I lived closer to them all.   It sometimes makes my heart ache, but at the same time it makes me grateful for modern technology and being able to talktime on the ipad, and airplanes which mean I am only ever a few hours away if need be.

But then again . . . love, that is the tie that binds and that is the most precious gift of all . . . and I am grateful for love.  Love of partner, love of child . . .  love of family.

 photo SAM_0354_zps8e92af6a.jpg

Fledglings in the garden.  I thought it too late in the year for such things . . . fully grown they are now, but still behaving like fledglings are the sparrows in our garden.  With the stooping and wing fluttering, the hopping about.  They delight my soul to no end . . .

I do so love nature.  Mysterious.  Enlightening.   Uplifting.



The gift from a friend yesterday of two cobs of corn, still in the husk.   It made my heart smile.  I roasted it in the oven, rubbed with butter, sprinkled with sprigs of fresh herbs and wrapped in baking paper.  It was good.   Not quite as tasty as peaches and cream, but good.  What made it taste all the better was that it was the gift from a friend.   Gifts from friends are priceless . . . even two ears of corn.  Who needs diamonds and rubies . . . these were pearls.

 photo BruceandSara_zps4de9e0b2.jpg

These two make me smile.  That's our Bruce and his Sara.  (Confederation Bridge in the background there, the bridge to PEI.)   It makes me content to see my son happy.  He was unhappy for a long time and now he is not.  Sara is a delight.  I love her to bits.  She has an award winning mental health blog called Saratonin.   You should check it out.  She's even been on the telly.

 photo e9a3546631c4221ebfd444e8a8785a07_zpsf7fa0fba.jpg

It took me a lifetime to understand this truth.  I am grateful that I finally got it.  To be evenly yoked with a man who "gets" my spirituality and shares it is a gift beyond measure.   It is something that I prayed to have . . . for years and years.   Answered prayers often come in the most surprisingly unexpected ways.

A thought to carry with you through the day . . .

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." 
~Mariann Williamson 

 photo SAM_0343_zps32121f18.jpg  

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Mustard and Garlic Sauced Chops.  Deliciously different!

Have a great Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!