Monday 25 November 2013

Small and Wonderful Things

  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

 "The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

  photo il_570xN328448464_zpsfb819846.jpg
(source)

Little pink hearts.   I don't know why but when I saw these my heart tweeked and I fell in love.  They just tickled my fancy!

 photo tumblr_mh6e5cq5P41r4u4mbo1_500_zpse404f31a.jpg

How everything is beautiful in it's own way.   Even a bowl of broccoli can be beautiful. It's just broccoli . . . but it's not just broccoli . . . it's a multitude of small intricate florets bound together, each one fitting into it's own space and composed of even smaller bits, also bound together and each in his own space and place and together all of those bits make a whole . . . a simple miracle which one is bound to miss or ignore in the face of larger ones, but a miracle all the same.  I am grateful for a little pink heart which sees these things  . . . and ponders them.

 photo cf4676f0dacb05829fce3620a9e3fb26_zps52da6952.jpg

Little piggie tails on little heads.   They make my heart melt.   The little girl sitting next to me in church yesterday had piggie tails just like these.   So sweet . . .  all children are so very beautiful.  What a gift . . .

 photo 7cf38b259170293faf24d4c8fb24a40d_zpsd1976093.jpg

Baby toes.  My friend let me hold her wee baby boy yesterday in church.  I guess he might be about six weeks old now and his little toes were bare.   It was such a lovely feeling to hold this wee little one and stroke his wee baby toes.  He was so beautiful.  It made me think of my own grandchildren and touched my heart in a special way.  I have never been able to see any of them when they were that small, or hold them in that special way.  Oh . . . I hold them in my heart always, but there is something special about being able to physically hold them and stroke their toes . . . I wish.   Thank you Holly for giving me this special moment with little Luke.

 photo 12f792f1268ac9a6c380217f40960e6e_zps5745cab1.jpg

Snowflakes that fall on my nose and eyelashes . . . the magic of the first snow of the year . . . big flakes of cold white goosedown that float in the air and make one just happy to be alive, here and now . . . to feel present . . . did you know that each flake that falls is unique and there are no two alike.  Ponder that for a moment . . . it is a miracle that we so often take for granted.   It is the same with us, there are no two of us alike, never has been, never will be . . . even so called identical twins are different in small ways that most people don't notice.  We are each one unique and special in our very own ways.

Photobucket

Simple suppers of bread and butter and jam.  Sat together in front of the telly watching something soppy and sweet like The Paradise, puppy dog at our feet.  Life is good . . .

 photo 15ec6f06084d93bd71efb6f1c7d33ffe_zps2bb2d432.jpg

Quietly sitting and sewing and being creative . . . I love sitting with a needle and thread and watching it move in and out of the fabric, creating something out of scraps and such . . . they come together like magic.  I wonder if that is how God felt when he was creating the world?  Gives me goosebumples.

 photo KITZPICHLER_57257_0405_blue_zps0ec81d2e.jpg

Little"man" slippers.  Are they not adorable . . . I wish I knew the sizes of my grandson's feet . . .
Again little feet . . .

 photo 8fa9424d467620be2c61a543e254235f_zpsd00fa4dd.jpg

Chocolate biscuits from Aldi . . . the biscuit beneath all buttery, the chocolate sharp and bitter on top.   So good.  Love them.  They turn me into a glutton.

A thought to carry with you today  . . .

(✿◠‿◠) ❄。¨¯`*✲ ´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。
"The journey is filled with ups and downs.
Don't confuse the two
as ever being everlasting.
Get up everyday and apply yourself,
be authentic, trust your instincts

and know that the more you apply yourself
the better you get day by day.
The day you are waiting for is the day
you want to give up,
that is when you MUST keep going.
That's the barrier

between normal and greatness."´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。
~Jackson Kiddard 
 

 photo potatoes_zps050eec88.jpg 

I'm talking Potatoes 101 in The English Kitchen today . . . something for everyone.

Have a great Monday and a fabulous week!

WE hope we can get the plumber to come back today to fix the leak.  Its annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!