Monday 18 November 2013

Small and Wonderful Things . . .


  photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo 10-3-201211-20-29AM_zpsca0eda18.jpg

Yesterday during Sacrament meeting at Church we had our annual Primary Presentation.   For those of you who do not know, the Children's Sunday School in our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) is called Primary.  All of their lessons and activities during each given year highlight one theme.  This year's theme in Primary was "I am a Child of God."   Once a year, towards the end of the year . . . they do a special presentation to the church congregation which focuses on that theme and all that they have learned during the year, with special songs that they have learned, talks they have given, lessons they have been taught.   It is one of my favourite Sacrament meetings of the year.  It is so heart warming to see the children show us what they have learnt.  Most of my time in the church I have served in the Primary auxiliary (leadership) and so most years I have had a big hand in organizing and putting this presentation on.  The last few years I have not, so it's been nice to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy it purely from the spectator's view point!   The children range in age from 3 on up to 12 and it was such a joy to watch them in action.

 photo 4981db4f562b409df9794b75657a8464_zps3d9667da.jpg

I am the only member of the church in my family.   Joining the church was very difficult for me.  It was a journey which took over 26 years and involved a lot of sacrifice for me.   Fourteen years later I am still seen as the nutter who went off and joined a cult.  It is hard sometimes to be a member of my church when your family is not with you.  I am very blessed in that I have my Todd with me and that makes me very happy, but still sometimes on certain days and special times I feel bereft when I see others in the church with their families . . . children, grandchildren, etc. around them and my heart aches for what I know could have been had I only been strong enough to make the move earlier in my life.  I could have had sons and daughters that went on missions.  I could have had children and grandchildren that were sealed to me.   Those thoughts make me sad and when I think them I cannot imagine how that will ever come to pass . . . but then I stop and think of the miracle that was my Baptism . . .  and I realize that with God ALL things are possible, even what seems like the impossible, and then my faith kicks in and it is all ok.  I know that Heavenly Father hears my prayers and knows the desires of my heart.  I trust in Him.  Faith is maybe a small thing, but it is everything, and it is a wonderful thing.

 photo 5ab558390b333655ac7fe0670787a1fd_zps4749904a.jpg

I am learning to let go . . . let God.  It is a simple principle and it is not always easy but it is the best way to enjoy your life and move forward.  Hand in hand with this principle goes the principle of being able to find joy in all things, both the bad and the good.  The good is sent to bless us and the bad is sent to test us and to help to make us stronger . . . and yes, there are blessings to be found even in the worst of life. 

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
~1 Corinthians 13:12

 photo 37122a30d2dfc3738ef64f6dab7c3306_zpsb4124fb8.jpg

I love this time of the day  . . . just as the sun is rising.   I can hear the dawn chorus of birdsong and it cheers my heart.  It is a beautiful sound and makes me glad to be alive.  Such a simple pleasure.  I am grateful to be an early riser so that I don't miss it.

 photo children_in_need_slide_main_zps9041a4dd.jpg

Each year here in the UK there is a National Children's Charity Telethon called Children in Need.   Celebrities and public alike get together and raise money to help children throughout the world.  Despite this being a very hard year financially for many people we still managed to break all records of the telethon and raise more than 31 million pounds!  I may be Canadian by birth, but I am British by adoption and I am proud to be British.  The British may be reserved but they are also very generous and big hearted.  I am grateful for the giving spirit of my adopted country!  

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻
Your living is determined
not so much by what life brings to you
as by the attitude you bring to life;
not so much by what happens to you
as by the way your mind looks at what happens."
~Kahlil Gibran


  photo SAM_1902_zps8f8ed760.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . a very warming Italian Wedding Soup.  Delicious!

Have a wonderful Monday.  May it be filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!