Friday 28 March 2014

Friday Finds

 photo FridayFinds_zpsb214ccd8.jpg
  A few of the wow moments, or things I discover each week that tickle my fancy.  I hope that they may inspire or tickle yours too!A few of the wow moments, or things I discover each week that tickle my fancy.  I hope that they may inspire or tickle yours too!

 photo dc5e7fe39dd72dfaf16d80aa83c96e23_zpsa6263c71.jpg

Oh my word, from Averie Cooks . . .  a Coconut Cream Pie Smoothie.  Creamy, smooth and tasting like one of my favourite pies.   Will life ever be the same???   Oh, and she also has a recipe for Cinnamon Raisin Bread Smoothies.  Be still my heart!

 photo 1d37841f3ac647fd9c86f0a424f9ddf2_zpsfad0d7e5.jpg

Something fun to do with the children and grandchildren this summer.  Water Gun Painting.  Who knows what masterpieces you could create!  I am betting the kids would really enjoy this.  I found it on Somewhat Simple.

 photo 24a41295cfc03f5795d20cd47186cfb9_zps364b57b5.jpg

A new and exciting way to play hopscotch!  I loved playing hopscotch when I was a girl.  I think I was rather good at it, but that could be selective memory, lol.   In any case this looks like it would even appeal to boys!  Found on Matty Angel.  It would make a great party game for the kiddos too!

 photo 20428928419df64be6bb5b11baba5187_zps570b5a7c.jpg 

Things every son needs to hear. This is an excellent article I found on We are THAT Family.  How did regular people get to be so smart?  It took me 58 years to get as smart as I am now and I'm not all the way there yet!  Seriously good advice in this article . . .  for the boys in your life.  And the girls too.  I think it's advice anyone could use and apply to their own lives.

 photo ed560803b310acc0fabfbb75e64f75d7_zps9ee73306.jpg

Page by page instructions for every lego set since 1965.  On BrickInstructions.com.   It's amazing what you can find online these days!  I don't know how we could ever cope without it. Oh, I know, in reality our lives would just go on, but boy . . . I would sure miss it.  Anything I want to find something out, and I mean anything . . . I google it!  Yes.  I am one of THOSE people!

 photo 548403d572eae463d850b2c06ccb21ca_zps30a2a1de.jpg

This is another one of those "Why didn't I think of that!" ideas.   You know how when you are teaching the kids how to read and doing reading homework, etc. and you are trying to get them to follow line upon line in their readers?   Well, a big googly eye on the end of a popsicle stick helps them to focus even better!  I know!  GENIUS!  Found on Cincy Nanny.

 photo 9a994ad7f6e85e578a45f8b9ee1338cc_zpsf64244b5.jpg

Now this is a totally brilliant idea.  (You just knew somehow I would bring it back to food didn't you?)  A healthy snack drawer.  Yes, a drawer in the refrigerator that is filled with portion sized healthy snacks  Again . . . GENIUS!  It is so tempting when you are starving to grab a packet of crisps or a few cookies.  How much better to grab a packet of melon chunks, or berries, etc.   Found this one on  The Vintage Modern Wife.

 photo 40b5f7063a2aa7818e598ddd04c8e7f9_zps335ff3ec.jpg

Now this is handy.  How to replace a broken or cracked i-phone screen.   Found on C.R.A.F.T.  I don't have one of these, but I know plenty of people do and when you break one of those screens, it can cost mega bucks to replace it.   This supposedly costs $10.  What a fab saving!

 photo 004974878d27e2d5d1e86478392b32a1_zps8e2570dc.jpg

There is only one thing I hate in the house more than spiders and almost as much as wasps (read really hate!)  and that is flies.   They are dirty and disgusting and I hate the thoughts of them landing or crawling on anything, HATE!!  Apparently they hate pine-sol.   Mix it with water, 50/50 and put it into a spray bottle.  Use this  combination to wipe counters etc.   It will drive them away.   Good to know!

 photo 95741cb11dec797b4c8c0dd2a78da762_zpsbc70547a.jpg

For those of you on your own or with smaller families, this is good to know.  How to make HALF a recipe!  I am always cutting recipes in half.   Todd isn't a great lover of leftovers and so I try to make as small a version of things that I can.   (He is however not totally opposed to leftover cake, just so you know!  As long as it's not chocolate or lemon.)  I am going to print this out and stick it on my refrigerator. 

Here's a tip for you.  For years and years we kept paying for insurance on our sky box.  We never had to use it and so when I lost my job and we had to move etc. we decided we would cancel it.   And so we did.  Yesterday morning our Sky television stopped working. And so we thought oh heck . . . this is going to cost a bomb.  Todd called them up and all we had to do was re-instate our sky box/dish insurance for six months and they are sending an engineer out for free.  Well, technically it's not free, because over the six months we will be paying £65, but it's a lot cheaper than it would have been if we had had to pay for the engineer without insurance.  Afterwards I said to Todd . . . hmmm . . .  just think of all those years we paid for insurance and got nothing for it.   We could have saved a mitt full of money just by waiting for it to crack up and having them sell us the insurance when we needed it! 

We don't have a working television antennae on our house.  (The previous tennant stole the wire from it when they moved house.   Bad people.   They also skipped out owing our landlord about 6 months rent.)  So we had no television all yesterday and probably most of today too.   The engineer is supposed to call between 12 and 5.  How much you want to bet it will be a lot closer to 5 when he gets here than 12?  I know!  Hoping we have it re-enstated by the end of today!  I don't want to miss Coronation Street!  (Yes I am also one of THOSE people! lol)

And that's it for this week.   Ten good to know things and ideas that I didn't know before.  And I am thinking you probably didn't either!

A thought to carry with you through this day . . .

 ═══ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══
"Go out into the world today
and love the people you meet.
Let your presence bring new light
in the hearts of people.
"

 ~ Mother Teresa
*✻ღϠ₡ღ *✻ღϠ₡ღ *✻ღϠ₡ღ

 photo SAM_3758_zpsc0f04ce9.jpg

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Country Baked Chicken.  So moist and tender and with a delicious gravy that is perfect for spooning over mashed potatoes.  This is a winner!

Have a FABULOUS Friday people!   God bless til tomorrow!


8 comments:

  1. Marie I saw a documentary about health that was made in Chester last night. I want to fly away…….


    Hope the tv is back on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzan, I really hope that one day you will be able to visit me here in Chester. You will love it, and I will love showing it to you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY fun the water gun painting! I do that already--but just with a spray bottle. ;o) NICE with the healthy snack space in the fridge--no need to hunt around, it's there! So good this splitting up a recipe guide! Some recipes I've tried splitting didn't pan out so well, so this is good to try. Hope you get your telly back! We don't have a television any more. We do pay our license feel still, as it's TV/Radio combo and we do radio a lot. We do watch things but mostly through online access now. We don't miss the big box in the lounge that just needs dusting...LOL! Happy Weekend to you all there :o) ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always fun to find your finds Marie:)and lovely recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tracy and Monique!

    Telly working now. The guy was actually here a lot earlier than predicted. He had a cancelation and was here by noon. Todd is a happy camper now! He had wanted to watch the Klondike series that just started on Discovery channel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and some great finds on this one. I loved the one for children; I will want to find out more about this for my grandchildren. You always amaze me with all the fun things you come up with.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Friday fun blog. So many good ideas and tips. I will use the pine-sol tip for sure. Most of our neighbors have horses which means we get a lot of flies. I hate them like you do. I will be spraying everything with pine-sol.

    I am slowing getting better. Thanks for your support and prayers.
    Have a great weekend. Will you get women's conference there tomorrow? I'm looking forward to it. I want to go to the stake center to see it and then have dinner there but I will probably have to stay home and watch it on TV. I'm glad we can get it on TV.

    I'm sending you hugs as always, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks LeAnn! Pinterest. It is a wealthy of infomartion!

    Lura, I won't be able to watch the conference live as it is too much of a time difference and it will be very late for us, so will have to watch it on the net at a later date! I looked up the cost of pine-sol over here and it was astronomically ridiculous! NO Pine-sol for me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!